DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilots: Let loose in Sport Mode!

Letting go of the stick is more of a moderate deceleration compared to hitting the pause button. Here's an example from Drone Valley. Looks like he's in normal mode so not as dramatic as it could be if the demo was in sport mode. It starts at 2:22.

Thanks for sharing that video. I fly an MA2 and did not previously know the RTH/Pause button would cause a quick stop and pause with a short press. That's REALLY good to know.

Reactions: Pappy and Dbez1
Pretty much suggesting noobs go out and crash their drones.
Guys do as you wish you bought it but unless you have some
Experience flying I really wouldn’t suggest doing it .
"As far as you posting any videos dewallersv do so in the correct section. ." Thanks for mentioning that. I've been subscribed to this site since purchasing my MA2 back in May 2020 and have posted a few comments and even a few videos but had not noticed there a section (Media) devoted specifically for posting videos. With so many drone pilots out there I was wondering why I wasn't seeing more scenic and cinematic videos posted on the forum. Now I know why :). I've been looking in the wrong section ?. Please forgive my ignorance and thanks again for the reminder note.

Reactions: dirkclod
You’re not ignorant you just didn’t know. We really do try and keep
everthing organized in the correct section. with some subjects
they need videos but this one didn’t.
Who wants to see new folks learning to fly post videos of them tearing up their new drone trying something such as this OP suggested.

Reactions: rcourtney671
Thanks and I feel ya. For me, watching crash videos is bad karma. I'd rather focus and learn from the positive side of things, not that flying in sport mode as the OP is discussing is a negative or bad thing. I typically fly in normal mode but a few months ago I got caught in an unexpected passing rain shower while flying a bit far out, so had to switch over to sport mode to get back to the home point as quickly and safely as possible to keep my MA2 from getting drenched. Other than that type scenario I personally stay out of sport mode, but as many have said "to each his/her own." ?

Sports mode is really good if you are getting attacked by a bird / birds. I had a crow (Australian) spend 45 minutes trying to take out my MA2 (yep, put in a second battery to extend the fun) - really good practice for getting your reactions up to speed.

I did try Sports Mode a few times, still being extremely careful, in an open space, keeping strict LOS. The response and speed are nice, but I never, EVER, succeeded in having a single correct shot at the speeds that this mode allows, even with very simple maneuvers. Sooner or later, my shots are always spoiled by one or more short bursts of camera shake, that makes the image "wobble" for about a second.

I think it's because the air resistance is just too great when you exceed something like 50 km/h, and the gimbal doesn't like it. Or it could be a problem with my Mavic Pro (the first one), I don't know.

I did try Sports Mode a few times, still being extremely careful, in an open space, keeping strict LOS. The response and speed are nice, but I never, EVER, succeeded in having a single correct shot at the speeds that this mode allows, even with very simple maneuvers. Sooner or later, my shots are always spoiled by one or more short bursts of camera shake, that makes the image "wobble" for about a second.

I think it's because the air resistance is just too great when you exceed something like 50 km/h, and the gimbal doesn't like it. Or it could be a problem with my Mavic Pro (the first one), I don't know.
Sports mode isn't for photography - it's for fun, or getting your drone to/from a desired spot quickly. Use the cinematic mode for photography.

So question what's the quickest small dji drone avaliable today?
I have a Mavic Air 1 and have managed 70.1kmh with a tail wind levelling out after a dive.

I don't think encouraging Sport Mode use is wise.

It's actually something I recommend against until you are 100% ready. Which could take years for some people; others may get it right away.

That being said, @nreese there is definitely a time and place for sport mode flying, and video production. Tracking fast objects is one.

Have a peek at this video. I shot the entire thing flying in Sport Mode.

Disclaimer: DO NOT ATTEMPT THE MANEUVERS FEATURED IN THE FOLLOWING VIDEO UNLESS YOU ARE WELL AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AND WELL AWARE OF THE CHARACTERISTICS OF YOUR DRONE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES CAUSED, AND DO NOT ENCOURAGE SPORT MODE FLYING WITHOUT YEARS OF EXPERIENCE.

(I HAVE YEARS OF EXPERIENCE) ??

That being said, @nreese there is definitely a time and place for sport mode flying, and video production. Tracking fast objects is one.
I agree, sports mode requires experience to be effective and not dangerous, but once those requirements are met, it can be quite rewarding...

Since we're at the stage of examples, here is a video very similar to @itsneedtokno 's video, only slightly different...

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I agree, sports mode requires experience to be effective and not dangerous, but once those requirements are met, it can be quite rewarding...

Since we're at the stage of examples, here is a video very similar to @itsneedtokno 's video, only slightly different...
Great stuff

hi scro, the pause button works different from the let the sticks free, that means when you are in full speed or not, the drone will brake instantly, no delay , will almost stand up vertically if you ahve full speed, that is so funny, try it....i did many times with mini and mini2, the behavior is the same for both of them
Finally had a chance to try this and you can indeed get some spectacular tilt on the drone this way if you get up to full speed! I clocked 54deg of tilt. I guess I never noticed before as I'd never tried tapping the pause button with the drone moving at high speed before. I'd only tried it at P mode speeds and the braking is about as extreme as in sports mode.

Reactions: WooZie
What have you done with Sport Mode? Have you really, REALLY, well, let yourself loose?

Turn off the camera. Or have it on. Either way, forget about it. Take your MM2 out and FLY it! Want to burn 3 batteries and wonder where the time went? I do a lot of Sport Mode flying for the sheer excitement of it, thought I'd start a thread to discuss, and post some crazy videos.

So, some suggestions:
  • Find a big, open field with no people or animals
  • From 30-60 feet AGL, full down throttle full pitch forward, dive fast at the ground then flip the throttle when you get as close to the ground as you feel comfortable and tear back up into the sky
  • Flip it around as fast as it'll spin in a turn full left/right yaw, coordinate with the right amount of roll (even in Sport it's not full-stick when you're yawing at max), then dive and shoot up again, repeat
  • Try falling out of the sky like above, full forward pitch, then level out at the last minute close to the ground (I've gotten good enough to do it about 4 feet AGL), tear across the field at 30+ mph until it feels right, then all together at max speeds ascend and turn 180, tear back.
  • Try to ascend/descend in the tightest, fastest spiral you can. This is a toughie -- the fastest is not the tightest.
I know some of that is kinda hard to follow, just keep in mind that you're forward-pitch every possible second.

I'll quit for now before this becomes TL;DR ? Please, others, contribute with your Sport Mode FLYING adventures. Noobs, come back and report your flights and fun. If you shoot some video, share it. I'll be back with some video, and more suggestions. Have Fun!
I like to fly it right over my head (2ft) walking to the store on hot days! it's more of a personal air conditioning unit then ! and the looks you get from people?? the Mavic pro makes a lot of air!

Reactions: MKurr
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98