DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New RC 2 with Air 3

The question is: will it work with older drones like the original Mavic 3?
Not 100% sure, but I reached out to DJI via their website chat and, as someone looking to upgrade Air2s/RC Pro to Air3, they said that the RC Pro would NOT work with the Air2s due to OC4. This is a bit of a bummer because I like the RC Pro for it's brighter screen and HDMI out port. My guess is an RC Pro2 is on the horizon.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
Haven't seen specs on the new remote, specifically brightness. Assume 700 nit again. The additional external antennas seems the biggest difference from original.
Does anyone know if the "accessory" screws along the back edge of the controller (where the SD card slot and USB port are) have the same spacing as the RC Pro? I'm strongly looking at upgrading my A2s/RCPro to Air3/RC2 and curious to know if my Hoodman shade and lanyard attachment which utilize those accessory screw fittings will fit the RC2 accessory fittings.

Anyone else notice that to get the RC2 controller you have to buy the Fly More package?

You can also buy just the controller.

I've got the Air2s and recently bought the RC Pro Controller. They stated that the RC Pro would be compatible with upcoming products. Will the Mavic 3 work with the Mavic 3 in the near future as they indicated?

I've got the Air2s and recently bought the RC Pro Controller. They stated that the RC Pro would be compatible with upcoming products. Will the Mavic 3 work with the Mavic 3 in the near future as they indicated?
If you are asking if the RC Pro will work with the Air 3, the answer is yes (as of today with a software update).

Reactions: Torque
If you are asking if the RC Pro will work with the Air 3, the answer is yes (as of today with a software update).
There is an update today?? Nothing on my RC-PRO. Air 3 is not available in my connection list.

There is an update today?? Nothing on my RC-PRO. Air 3 is not available in my connection list.
You sure about this?

Not that I can find. The OFFICIAL response from DJI is - no time soon.

So I went back and took at look at this more closely and it appears I jumped the gun. Seems like the Fly app on the RC Pro was updated for Air 3 and even though my RC Pro needed a sw update as well, it is from a week ago and therefore is not an update to include the Air 3 compatibility. I was wrong, the RC Pro is NOT yet compatible with the Air3; sorry for the confusion.

So I went back and took at look at this more closely and it appears I jumped the gun. Seems like the Fly app on the RC Pro was updated for Air 3 and even though my RC Pro needed a sw update as well, it is from a week ago and therefore is not an update to include the Air 3 compatibility. I was wrong, the RC Pro is NOT yet compatible with the Air3; sorry for the confusion.
Yes, oddly, my RC-PRO had 2 updates waiting that I only noticed yesterday when, out of curiosity, I powered it up to see if it would be compatible now that the Air 3 had been officially released. And yes DJI Fly updated saying the update added support for the Air 3. DJI Fly also updated on my tablet which I use for quick file transfers from my mini 3 and my Classic. On my tablet the Air 3 now shows in the connection list, but not on my RC-PRO.
Oddly there was no DJI Fly update for my DJI RC and it is running a lower version than my RC-PRO.

I did order the Air 3 today with the RC-2. DJI couldn't or wouldn't tell me if my RC Pro would
eventually work with the Air 3. She looks like a winner with a smaller but apparently better sensor than the 1" Air 2s and the WAAAYY better flight time that ruined the Air 2s for me.
I was told by DJI that the RC Pro won't work with Air3 due to O3 vs O4 thing / different frequencies. Take that with a grain of salt I guess...

It’s a little strange that someone posted this picture on twitter of the Air 3 working with an RC Pro controller.

Attachments

• 3AC7D986-4BBA-4F6C-A514-51C1FC1415F8.jpeg
    3AC7D986-4BBA-4F6C-A514-51C1FC1415F8.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 16
It’s a little strange that someone posted this picture on twitter of the Air 3 working with an RC Pro controller.
Without knowing the source of that picture, it could be a prototype of the RC2 inside a RC Pro housing. Or a RC Pro running an unfinished version of the firmware that supports O4. Or a version of the Air 3 that supports the RC pro

When you are developing a new drone and a new RC, both supporting a new protocol, it would make sense from an R&D perspective to be able to use an existing protocol to verify that everything works, before going to the new protocol.

Without knowing the source of that picture, it could be a prototype of the RC2 inside a RC Pro housing. Or a RC Pro running an unfinished version of the firmware that supports O4. Or a version of the Air 3 that supports the RC pro

When you are developing a new drone and a new RC, both supporting a new protocol, it would make sense from an R&D perspective to be able to use an existing protocol to verify that everything works, before going to the new protocol.
For sure. During testing when there are only so many RC2 pre-production unit available, if you need to do something why not just send your RC Pro over to the tech team and have them reflash it with a beta sw version that is compatible; easy enough.

Not that I can find. The OFFICIAL response from DJI is - no time soon.
"no time soon" or just "no"? Do you have email with the former in it, or was it a phone conversation with support?

It's a bad photoshop, with the image overlayed on the display. I've highlighted the clear errors by this amateur:

Picsart_23-07-26_14-41-20-901.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13