DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New RC 2 with Air 3

Well, I'll ask that you trust an engineer that has written firmware for Software Defined Radio systems for this sort of thing... The hardware changes required by O4 (additional antennas, frequencies, etc.) are no obstacle to programming forward compatibility. It might mean less range, but not impossible to engineer.

SDRs are used in these types of applications for exactly this reason.

Does that mean the engineering will happen? No guarantee. Yet it would seem an enormously bone-headed decision not to given ecosystem interoperability seems to be a strategy DJI has adopted.
I hope you are right! I truly do, because if that ever happens, an Air 3 (drone only) would be in my shopping cart. I think it is the perfect size with the perfect OA for some really fun FPV flying. The Mavic 3 Classic is a bit big in tight quarters at times, the Air 3 is the perfect size for stability in the wind and flight time. But to me, just not worth the price if I have to purchase everything else to go with it. If and when it can use my existing controllers I will consider it.

Well, I'll ask that you trust an engineer that has written firmware for Software Defined Radio systems for this sort of thing... The hardware changes required by O4 (additional antennas, frequencies, etc.) are no obstacle to programming forward compatibility. It might mean less range, but not impossible to engineer.

SDRs are used in these types of applications for exactly this reason.

Does that mean the engineering will happen? No guarantee. Yet it would seem an enormously bone-headed decision not to, given ecosystem interoperability seems to be a strategy DJI has adopted.
The other factor is that DJI has to consider is the development and testing time to add a new protocol to their SDR. It's probably technically feasible, just like adding RID to older models is. They have to weigh their ROI for doing it.

In about 3 years, I would hope all the Air 4 tech could be squeezed into the Mini 5 Pro under 250g. Why would we need the Air series lineup?
Because following that logic, I would have hoped that by then all the Mavic 4 tech could have been squeezed into the Air 4/4S (and so on).

Because following that logic, I would have hoped that by then all the Mavic 4 tech could have been squeezed into the Air 4/4S (and so on).
For now, I'm just thinking about how to squeeze 3 distinct lines down to 2 and since the Mavic and the Mini are the top 2, seems the Air would be the first to go. We need the Mini for sub 250 and the Mavic is extensive with enterprise drones, etc. To me, Air is being squeezed out (in features and in price) as Mini gets more advanced and Mavic get optimized and the lineup gets more diverse (Classic, etc). I just don't see thermal offerings, hi-end smart controllers, and Pro offering like Cine coming to the Air series. I don't work at DJI so this is all speculation. I guess it will be more apparent if we never see a Air 3S or a 3 Pro or 3 Classic. Not going to rain on the Air 3, it's a great day for that drone; enjoy! :)

Reactions: Roberto Smera
That smaller Foot Print holds so much weight in this purchase , along with the waypoints .
But if you think this is flying thru the Jungles and trees like they show us, think again. lol

It always surprises me that they tempt people right off the bat , to thread the needle ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water, and stay away from the Trees.

That smaller Foot Print holds so much weight in this purchase , along with the waypoints .

Do you have a trustworthy source for this?

I'm trying to definitively confirm... it's the decision point for me to abandon M3P plans and pick up one of these.

Do you have a trustworthy source for this?

I'm trying to definitively confirm... it's the decision point for me to abandon M3P plans and pick up one of these.
You mean on the Way Points , there is this. Pretty Awesome.

Screenshot of Google Chrome (7-25-23, 2-38-57 PM).png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.. Land on the Water and Fly with Waypoints , lol

re: Waypoints... Maybe they'll open it up for Litchi et al with an SDK, which would be awesome.

Given how this has played out with the Mavic 3, I don't think they will. Rather, the implementation of a WP feature directly in Fly is a way of controlling the value differentiation between the M3 An A3. I hope I'm wrong, but it just feels like this is what's going on w.r.t. this feature.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Based on all videos and reviews of the Air 3 that i have watched today, it looks as the Air 3 has the exact same flight capabilities as the Mavic 3 (other than speeds). Cruise control and waypoints look to be stored in the RC and not the aircraft. No one specifically states the Air 3 can fly waypoints without the RC connected.

Based on all videos and reviews of the Air 3 that i have watched today, it looks as the Air 3 has the exact same flight capabilities as the Mavic 3 (other than speeds). Cruise control and waypoints look to be stored in the RC and not the aircraft. No one specifically states the Air 3 can fly waypoints without the RC connected.
The speeds are the same.

The speeds are the same.
Thanks, I haven't actually done a direct comparison of all the speeds in different flight modes but based on the testimonials of pilots who have flown the Air 3, she is just as powerful, if not more so, than the Mavic 3, and far superior to the Air2S. A very nimble and quick bird.

Everything about this new RC screams, "oops!" about the first one. The DJI RC will be flushed out of the system, so to speak, completely replaced by this new one.

Notice that the DJI RC 2 addresses the three main problems that caused issues with the first version: Poor signal reach (added external antennas), flight logs filling up storage (8GB raised to 32GB), and video stuttering and other performance issues (faster CPU).

Bye bye DJI RC.

Will I be upgrading? No. Haven't had any of those issues in my use of the DJI RC for the Mini3P and A2S.
Glad to hear that because I have the DJI RC arriving next week!

Hmmm... earlier when I posted about offsetting some of the cost selling the DJI RC, I completely forgot about the A2S and 3 batteries, which I'll sell off too.

Looking like I may pull off an Air 3 DJI RC 2 FMC for $700-800.

Reactions: Torque
For now, I'm just thinking about how to squeeze 3 distinct lines down to 2 and since the Mavic and the Mini are the top 2, seems the Air would be the first to go. We need the Mini for sub 250 and the Mavic is extensive with enterprise drones, etc. To me, Air is being squeezed out (in features and in price) as Mini gets more advanced and Mavic get optimized and the lineup gets more diverse (Classic, etc). I just don't see thermal offerings, hi-end smart controllers, and Pro offering like Cine coming to the Air series. I don't work at DJI so this is all speculation. I guess it will be more apparent if we never see a Air 3S or a 3 Pro or 3 Classic. Not going to rain on the Air 3, it's a great day for that drone; enjoy! :)
I do wonder if DJI will offer enterprise in the Air series. There was a video of a supposed Air 3 Enterprise model with RTK module on Twitter :

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman