DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New RC 2 with Air 3

Capt KO

Reactions
Haven't seen specs on the new remote, specifically brightness. Assume 700 nit again. The additional external antennas seems the biggest difference from original.

Reactions: Ridgeback65
Differences seem to be:

32GB storage - Up from 8GB
New CPU
o4
External antennas

Reactions: Capt KO
The question is: will it work with older drones like the original Mavic 3?
Yes, 100%. Guaranteed.

I say that on the basis of no information from anywhere at all.

And I'm certain of it.

Biggest difference imo is that it now outputs the same 33dBm as the rc pro. Same goes for the RC-N2.

Hoping you are right! I would enjoy having better signal after 1.5 kms (~1 mile) as the original DJI RC starts to struggle at that point.
Everything about this new RC screams, "oops!" about the first one. The DJI RC will be flushed out of the system, so to speak, completely replaced by this new one.

Notice that the DJI RC 2 addresses the three main problems that caused issues with the first version: Poor signal reach (added external antennas), flight logs filling up storage (8GB raised to 32GB), and video stuttering and other performance issues (faster CPU).

Bye bye DJI RC.

Will I be upgrading? No. Haven't had any of those issues in my use of the DJI RC for the Mini3P and A2S.

Everything about this new RC screams, "oops!" about the first one. The DJI RC will be flushed out of the system, so to speak, completely replaced by this new one.

Notice that the DJI RC 2 addresses the three main problems that caused issues with the first version: Poor signal reach (added external antennas), flight logs filling up storage (8GB raised to 32GB), and video stuttering and other performance issues (faster CPU).

Bye bye DJI RC.

Will I be upgrading? No. Haven't had any of those issues in my use of the DJI RC for the Mini3P and A2S.
100% and I wouldn't be surprised if additional stocks of RC were being rounded up to go back and be reworked. My guess is RC will soon ghost just like the Mavic 3.

Based on what I have read on DJI'S website, the new RC2 and RC N2 are only compatible with the Air 3 and no other aircraft.
Ocusync 4 is a totally new transmission system utilizing 3 different frequency ranges, with 2 transmission antennas and 4 receiving antennas and is not in any way compatible with other systems.
The RC, RC-Pro, and any of the FPV Goggles and motion controllers are not compatible with the Air 3.
My understanding is that the new O4 is just too different at the hardware level to allow any backwards compatibility with anything else.
Time will tell but I believe the Air 3 aircraft and RC is a new separate line and will never allow any compatibility with the current existing aircrafts and RC's, not even with FW updates.

No. of transmission antennas and receivers doesn't affect compatibility directly. Look at current controllers. Rc pro already has 2T4R with O3. Frequency ranges are the same apart from the addition of the 5.1Ghz frequency band(s) which can be ignored in O3 mode

With the "Apple of Drones" production DJI seems to have embraced, I could see them going with RC2 works with new drones-only, but realistically, I would be surprised if they don't make it backwards compatible with all the latest 3 models.

Funny how the Air seems to be their trendsetter again.

Reactions: maggior
No. of transmission antennas and receivers doesn't affect compatibility directly. Look at current controllers. Rc pro already has 2T4R with O3. Frequency ranges are the same apart from the addition of the 5.1Ghz frequency band(s) which can be ignored in O3 mode
You could very easily be right and I really do hope they will all be compatible at some point but I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Reactions: Joethedrone
With the "Apple of Drones" production DJI seems to have embraced, I could see them going with RC2 works with new drones-only, but realistically, I would be surprised if they don't make it backwards compatible with all the latest 3 models.

Funny how the Air seems to be their trendsetter again.
You means like setting the trend for the multi-cameras? Or including waypoints in a consumer level drone? Oh, battery loading from the rear? Compatibility with a smart controller or screen RC? Any other trends Air lineup is setting? Air 3 with O4 is strictly timing. We'll never see an Air 4.

Based on what I have read on DJI'S website, the new RC2 and RC N2 are only compatible with the Air 3 and no other aircraft.
Ocusync 4 is a totally new transmission system utilizing 3 different frequency ranges, with 2 transmission antennas and 4 receiving antennas and is not in any way compatible with other systems.
The RC, RC-Pro, and any of the FPV Goggles and motion controllers are not compatible with the Air 3.
My understanding is that the new O4 is just too different at the hardware level to allow any backwards compatibility with anything else.
Time will tell but I believe the Air 3 aircraft and RC is a new separate line and will never allow any compatibility with the current existing aircrafts and RC's, not even with FW updates.
Well, I'll ask that you trust an engineer that has written firmware for Software Defined Radio systems for this sort of thing... The hardware changes required by O4 (additional antennas, frequencies, etc.) are no obstacle to programming forward compatibility. It might mean less range, but not impossible to engineer.

SDRs are used in these types of applications for exactly this reason.

Does that mean the engineering will happen? No guarantee. Yet it would seem an enormously bone-headed decision not to, given ecosystem interoperability seems to be a strategy DJI has adopted.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope