DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New & Scared!

How is crashing going to help? I'd go with the practice, practice, practice method. I was pretty nervous for my first few flights but less so each time. I only have 19 flights under my belt but each time I fly I gain confidence. I will say that having a good display is really helpful. For me that is an 9.7" iPad for others it's an iPad mini.

Reactions: Ken Bartley
A health fear, which is really respect, for your drone is always good to have. Crashes come mostly from routine which can lead to laziness or carelessness. Preflight checks are as important with drones as they are with airplanes. Stay within your comfort zone, but gradually push it by trying new things. Your confidence will grow as your trust in your machine grows. Like others above, I’ve had my crashes with Phantomsand Spark, but I have never crashed myMavic Pro. It is aMaaaaazing!
I too have never crashed my Mavic Pro...I have it close to 2 years and never an issue...i still hope i can get an answer to my question...Does the Mavic Pro got to RTH mode if and when it loses its signal....someone said the MP2 has that in its system...Does the MP have it also ? Please,anyone ?

Reactions: kidologist
Does the Mavic Pro got to RTH mode if and when it loses its signal....someone said the MP2 has that in its system...Does the MP have it also ?

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0-.pdf

Edit: without reading that manual (that's for you to do), I can say that every DJI drone I've had (phantom pros, now mavic 2 pro) have had failsafe RTH, which triggers after so many seconds of signal loss. There are other things that happen here, such as when the signal is re-attained, or when the craft approaches a sensed obstacle -- so reading the manual is highly recommended.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mossiback
Just got my first drone-Mavic 2 Pro. Using it to film real estate, mountain bike riding, vacations, etc. I have flown it a dozen times and keep it within 100 feet. What I'm having a problem with is I don't trust the drone(really myself) to fly it high enough-150 feet, or far enough-maybe as much as a few hundred yards away from me. I am so afraid of 1) losing signal 2) losing sight 3) getting it back home without hitting a tree. Also, I'm worried that using the RTH button will cause it to go up first (which might cause it to fly into a tree or something, and not having it set to go high enough on return to avoid any obstacles. How should I setup my RTH function and also are all sensors on using the RTH function and if not, how to I make sure they get turned on? Thanks for any help as I need some confidence flying this thing! I'm trying to learn all of this by reading the manual, but there is a lot to understand!
I felt the same way when I first got my mavic 2 and it took me three weeks before I took my first flight. I spent those three weeks reading every article and watching every youtube video about the mavic and how to fly. I read and re-read the manual and used the feature on the Go4 app that simulates flying a drone. My first flight was in a very open area where I could fly pretty far and high so to practice well.

I still hope i can get an answer to my question...Does the Mavic Pro go to RTH mode if and when it loses its signal....

Yes, absolutely. Or you can initiate yourself right from the controller. I had my iPad crash once and it was really nice to be able to RTH without the iPad.

NOTE: (likely obvious) Always make sure you take off with space above you for RTH, I once took off at a friends house from under a high balcony and realized afterward, RTH would land it on the upper deck. Not a big deal, but I realized to always make sure no branches, wires, or other obstructions are above your take off spot.

Just got my first drone-Mavic 2 Pro. Using it to film real estate, mountain bike riding, vacations, etc. I have flown it a dozen times and keep it within 100 feet. What I'm having a problem with is I don't trust the drone(really myself) to fly it high enough-150 feet, or far enough-maybe as much as a few hundred yards away from me. I am so afraid of 1) losing signal 2) losing sight 3) getting it back home without hitting a tree. Also, I'm worried that using the RTH button will cause it to go up first (which might cause it to fly into a tree or something, and not having it set to go high enough on return to avoid any obstacles. How should I setup my RTH function and also are all sensors on using the RTH function and if not, how to I make sure they get turned on? Thanks for any help as I need some confidence flying this thing! I'm trying to learn all of this by reading the manual, but there is a lot to understand!

Keep flying. Keep stretching your boundaries. Keep studying and learning how to stay safe. Eventually you will get there.

Reactions: kidologist
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0-.pdf

Edit: without reading that manual (that's for you to do), I can say that every DJI drone I've had (phantom pros, now mavic 2 pro) have had failsafe RTH, which triggers after so many seconds of signal loss. There are other things that happen here, such as when the signal is re-attained, or when the craft approaches a sensed obstacle -- so reading the manual is highly recommended.

i hear you on it...honestly...you are correct...My eyes are shot....Glasses (of which i have everywhere) are a constant companion...tiny lettering (to me) isn't readable ...I got the answer to my question and i thank you

One thing, and I can not stress this one enough: MAKE SURE THE HOME POINT IS SET CORRECTLY!!!!!

The mavic has a fantastic ability to return home in case everything goes pearshaped, but it is all based on the home point being where you want it to be. So, when the drone takes off, pause a moment and don’t do anything before it confirms that the home point is updated and in the correct spot.

Then make sure you start flying in an open space, get used to the feeling of piloting a drone without the risk of running into obstacles. Fly it to 50 distance and above the set RTH altitude. Then push the RRH button and see what happens (this will prevent the drone from climbing before RTH).

Also, it may be very tempting to go flying with some friends to show them the new toy. Don’t. In the beginning, take the time to get a feeling for the drone, before you go flying with onlookers, which will always ask questions like “how far can it go”, “how high can it go”, “how fast is it”, can you see my house that is only 1500m away from here”, etc. Somehow onlookers always seem to challenge you into doing something else than you were planning on doing or which you are comfortable with... so only do that when you have sufficient confidence.

After a while, you’ll learn to trust that the Mavic doesn’t do anything weird and is generally a very forgiving drone... enjoy it mate, this hobby is fun and addictive, before you know it, you’ll have three drones... ?

Reactions: Housenotes
Yes, absolutely. Or you can initiate yourself right from the controller. I had my iPad crash once and it was really nice to be able to RTH without the iPad.

NOTE: (likely obvious) Always make sure you take off with space above you for RTH, I once took off at a friends house from under a high balcony and realized afterward, RTH would land it on the upper deck. Not a big deal, but I realized to always make sure no branches, wires, or other obstructions are above your take off spot.

THIS is the way i was hoping to have my question addressed

Kidologist..THIS is the way i had hoped to have my question addressed

WITHOUT a lecture and comments about how i should get the answer to my simple question

Thank you for being STRAIGHT to the point withOUT the lecture on how to conduct myself over a SIMPLE question which was asked in a polite and to the point fashion..apparently some people think that in a situation like this the feel that they just HAVE TO give a simple answer in a LECTURING and (so annoyed) way

it doesn't cost anything to answer a simple question without being...an A

i will leave it at that

Thanks All...Great info and support from MOST

Much appreciated

Last edited:
Remember that when you initiate RTH from the RC you need to press and hold for a couple seconds.

Remember that when you initiate RTH from the RC you need to press and hold for a couple seconds.
SO...it doesn't AUTOMATICALLY kick in (the RTH) when the signal is lost ?

From what others said,i believed that it was an automatic response..The Return to home..apparently Not then ?

You must hit the button..Yes ?

Thanks

From what others said,i believed that it was an automatic response..The Return to home..apparently Not then ?

Thanks
Sorry about that. I didn't mean to inject some confusion. Failsafe RTH kicks in automatically after contact with the RC is dropped for two seconds. If you want to initiate RTH manually from the RC while connected, you press and hold the RC RTH button. Some do this if they lose track of where in the sky their Mavic is.

Thanks
No.
If signal is lost I t will RTH automatically after a short backtrack looking for signal if you have it in settings. If you set it to hover with lost signal then it hovers. If you push the RTH button it immediately does so by the most direct route that is legal. You also have to set an RTH altitude appropriate for the flight area.

No.
If signal is lost I t will RTH automatically after a short backtrack looking for signal if you have it in settings. If you set it to hover with lost signal then it hovers. If you push the RTH button it immediately does so by the most direct route that is legal. You also have to set an RTH altitude appropriate for the flight area.

THANKS...It is more clear now...the one thing that we must be aware of is to set the height..the ALTITUDE that you mentioned...it it starts the RTH and there is a huge tree nearby...remember to call out...T I M B E R !!!...getting stuck in a tall tree is something i hopefully will never experience

THANKS...It is more clear now...the one thing that we must be aware of is to set the height..the ALTITUDE that you mentioned...it it starts the RTH and there is a huge tree nearby...remember to call out...T I M B E R !!!...getting stuck in a tall tree is something i hopefully will never experience
Welcome

If you've done any flying at all these new Mavic 2s are very hard to crash. Just get a little practice. If flying the Mavic scares you get some lesser drones to learn from and sacrifice.

• Haha
Like someone else said, test the obstacle avoidance... The first day i had my m2p, i went full send into the side of my brand new pickup truck. Not to my surprise the drone stopped ? also took it straight up to 400ft...

the Only real way you’re going to crash this is if you deliberately turn all the avoidance off and don’t know what you’re doing, or certain sensors are turned off in certain modes so be careful to read what each setting does

Also get the part 107 before you do any commercial flying or you could be in some serious ?

My biggest piece of advice besides don’t fly indoors is be careful what you take off from and Watch for warnings as you take off. If you see magnetic interference or compass error when you take off land immediately and move to a different spot.make sure you can SEE what you are doing on the display. Most crashes happen when someone didn’t see a wire or a branch. Also make sure you are aware of the return to home height and never put a mountain between you and the drone. I also try and make sure to fly where I could possibly recover if needed and get the insurance. P

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18