DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New tablet recommendation Please

MAGA

Reactions
Greetings,
I am currently using android for Wi-Fi and gps /calls through virgin Mobil phone to fly , but flying every day has just about ruined my phone USB connector + the screen is not bright enough, no I do not want a sunshade, I need a new bigger brighter screen + holder + cable ? 7 TO 8 INCHES every time I do a search here get a link to old tablets so I don't know whats still working. someone must be using an Android phone Holder and cable , whats a good inexpensive tablet, holder and cable for the MP2 and AIR?

Another option for the worn port issue is to use magnetic cables. If you've not come across these before, they have a small plug that goes permanently into the socket and actual cable attaches to this by magnets. Saves all the wear and tear on the ports, and lets you swap connectors at the remote end if you need to as well (e.g. for connecting your phone to a PC or your RC).

I use NetDot cables in combination with a Sunnylife Aluminium phone/tablet holder that has small tripod head on it (both bought from Amazon) and have had no issues with them at all, although plenty of other decent brands exist. The setup works with both my Samsung S3 Tab and S7 Edge phone in their protective cases with no problems, and also for charging the RC with its fragile micro USB port.

However it should be noted that some people have reported having to recalibrate their compasses after fitting magnetic cables, presumably due to the small effect of the magnet, so keep that in mind if you go down this route and have any issues. Or just re-calibrate anyway to be safe.

Reactions: MAGA
It sounds like brightness will always be an issue for you. Few if any general purpose phones/tablets are bright enough for flying quads with FPV in sunny environments.

Reactions: MAGA and dawgpilot
I've been down this road.... several different Android phones and a Samsung tablet. The solution.... iPad Mini 5. I know its not cheap but dang the screen is way better than anything you will get in Android. Performance is also better. I use a hood but its not necessary.
This mount works well for me:

Greetings,
I am currently using android for Wi-Fi and gps /calls through virgin Mobil phone to fly , but flying every day has just about ruined my phone USB connector + the screen is not bright enough, no I do not want a sunshade, I need a new bigger brighter screen + holder + cable ? 7 TO 8 INCHES every time I do a search here get a link to old tablets so I don't know whats still working. someone must be using an Android phone Holder and cable , whats a good inexpensive tablet, holder and cable for the MP2 and AIR?
Crystal Sky...if you can afford it.

Ensure you have Cache turned off on Tablet you are using this seems to drain power/CPU and dull the screen ??

That way drone is not constantly trying to send video data back to tablet.

Cheers

The iPad mini features a multi-touch fully laminated 7.9-inch display with a 2048 x 1536 resolution at 326 pixels per inch, the highest pixel density of any of Apple's iPads. Brightness comes in at 500 nits, making the iPad mini 525 percent brighter than the iPad mini 4.

Samsunt Tab A 8
For that amount of cash you're getting a metal frame with rounded edges, an 8-inch 1,280x800 touchscreen with 480 nits brightness, Android 7.1.1 Nougat pre-installed, and a 5,000 mAh battery. The tablet is powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon 425 chipset, aided by 2GB of RAM.

480 - 500 nits I dont think ya gonna notice the difference?

Yeah what oothers have said. I use my mobile 80% of time and then also use my Tab S3. With a sunshade. The tablet works great. Highly recommend.

I use my iPad Pro 11" with it's 600 nit brightness. I have a rather unusual holder for it that I bought on Amazon. It is no longer available there and the only one I saw on Ebay is from an Australian seller. Here is a link to at least provide a visual sample.

It is a tight fit for the 11" iPad, but it just fits. It is very compact when not In use and I strap the two arms together with a Velcro belt. It becomes very solid and provides a good view of the controller. When it was on Amazon I paid $15 with Prime.

nice! I like it!.

nice! I like it!.
Thank you. It's my favorite setup so far. I am now using it with a 3 sided, folding hood. It's about as comfortable as putting a mini iPad in the folding handles, but the Pro screen is brighter and it gives you the option for a neck strap for support. It also raises the screen about 5" closer to your eyes while keeping the controller at a good height for your hands. Because of the way it's built, it gives you a hand rest when using the neck strap, so it also provides some relief in that respect.

I use my iPad Pro 11" with it's 600 nit brightness. I have a rather unusual holder for it that I bought on Amazon. It is no longer available there and the only one I saw on Ebay is from an Australian seller. Here is a link to at least provide a visual sample.

It is a tight fit for the 11" iPad, but it just fits. It is very compact when not In use and I strap the two arms together with a Velcro belt. It becomes very solid and provides a good view of the controller. When it was on Amazon I paid $15 with Prime.
Don’t use these if you have a Mavic 2. They will not fit the RC arms.

Lenovo has one useful model - Lenovo TB-8504X
That is middle size - enough for flith but compact to fit in the bag.
That has LTE and SD card slot, so you`ll never meet problem with updates and storage for files.

I use that with adaptor, of course, and that is comfortable after 6 months of usage.

Let me add, that I used that holder for my tab, very good model - smal in trasportation mode, and holds strong in the working mode.

Last edited:
The iPad mini features a multi-touch fully laminated 7.9-inch display with a 2048 x 1536 resolution at 326 pixels per inch, the highest pixel density of any of Apple's iPads. Brightness comes in at 500 nits, making the iPad mini 525 percent brighter than the iPad mini 4.

Samsunt Tab A 8
For that amount of cash you're getting a metal frame with rounded edges, an 8-inch 1,280x800 touchscreen with 480 nits brightness, Android 7.1.1 Nougat pre-installed, and a 5,000 mAh battery. The tablet is powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon 425 chipset, aided by 2GB of RAM.

480 - 500 nits I dont think ya gonna notice the difference?
+1
I especially like the advanced Outdoor Brightness setting on the Tab A 8

I tried an IPad Mini 4 and was not impressed. I bought the 10.5" Samsung s5e. It is much brighter, easier to see in sunlight and the aspect ratio matches the 16 x 9 video. The bezels are very narrow so very little wasted space. It has GPS without buying the 4G model and much cheaper than the IPad. It does require a mount.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura