DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones intimidation!

I have been flying DJI drones since 2013 and haven't had any issues to date (knock on wood). I've owned the Phantom 1.1.1, Phantom 3 Advanced, Spark, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual, Phantom 4 Pro and Inspire 1 Pro. DJI makes a quality product, follow a pre-flight checklist, know your surroundings and get to know your equipment. The Mavic Air is an excellent machine.
Good advice. Do you have your own pre-flight checklist? Care to share?

Hi all,
I just got my first drone, Mavic Air. I am nervous with all of the settings in the DJI go app and reading here about so many problems! Does anyone have an Air that has had no troubles? Thanks
not believing everything you read is a good product, and in any case many have problems because they are incapable of not being able to use it so quiet and enjoy the trusted drone.

I bought mine second hand a couple of weeks ago and I can relate to what the op is saying. So far I experienced the following problems:

1. 3 batteries on charger, only 1 charging (this is normal behaviour, the batteries charge in turn). Probably in the manual, answer found on the internet.

2. Remote not charging when connected to charger. I replaced the charging cable with magnetic usb one and connected the phone on the bottom one. No risk of breaking the port now (I had it happen on my Tomtom GPS).

3. Fuzzy pixelated photos. The MA was shooting in RAW, Android phone was scaling up the thumbnails. Changed the mode to jpeg, problem gone.

4. I got a strange error on the remote when I was flying in hot weather (40C) after playing with it in sports mode, Main controller data error. I let the MA cool down and changed the battery and the error went away. High temps affect the onboard barometer.

5. Remote beeping uncontrollably when turned on. This is to tell you that it needs calibration. A message on the screen would have been more helpful...

All in all, the MA is a tough piece of kit, but it has its peculiarities. Some aspects are quite complicated but it makes sense when you think about it. There are thousands of YouTube videos with great advice, and any issue that you may encounter will be covered somewhere on the internet. Like my latest one: asteroid videos are nowhere to be found, except on the flash card inside the drone. The preview on the phone is just a single jpeg. Awkward, but I can live with that.

If you have a wide open, safe place to fly, just turn things on, wait until you have the green happy-GPS “the home point has been updated” message then, take off and fly low altitude for a bit. Stay within 20-30 feet, 10 feet off the ground or at eye level.

I fly every day. Love the Mavic Air. The remote controller (RC) lost control signal with the aircraft a single time in over a year. Simply turning off the RC, then back on again regained control.
Loss of signal usually results in a short-term hover, and then a longer term return-to-home.

If you’re in a wide open area, a return-to-home (RTH) just means it’ll probably go up to the preset height, and fly back to the RTH point, then land.

If at any point, you can regain control of the aircraft (AC), you can press the stop/pause button and the AC will stop and hover.

No stress.Just practice every day. One battery or more if you can.

This forum is a wealth of information for both what to do and of course what not to do. Limit your distance for a while and get the feel for the drone and the various functions. Keep reading the forum, especially for the what not to do and hard lessons. Enjoy your flying most of all!

Put a Marco Polo tracker on it because if you fly a lot you will eventually loose it

The other very thing you can do for finding a downed aircraft easier (perhaps in combination with a tracker), is attach some good strobes.

The Firehouse Technology strobes are probably field leaders, but some lesser brightness strobes will probably also assist finding a drone in trees, grass, etc.

Strobes will also give you very good VLOS to be able to see where your drone is in the air.

One of these on the back would be very visible in daylight, at dusk it would easily be picked up when searching around.

On the FHT site in pack options, can probably buy singles . . .

Amazon has singles too . . .

Reactions: Thomas B
I’ve been flying for a while now, but I know if I was a new kid on the block, I would appreciate advice from people like you. It makes me feel good to see great people like you take the time to write a thoughtful reply to a new pilot. That’s part of why we’re here. Thanks O.M.M.

Mine works fine. No problems.
Hi all,
I just got my first drone, Mavic Air. I am nervous with all of the settings in the DJI go app and reading here about so many problems! Does anyone have an Air that has had no troubles? Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev