DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones some help please

Hey everyone names John. My wife just got me the mavic pro platinum fly more combo for Christmas last week and I’ve flown it over 15 times already and am pretty used to it and happy with it. So I’ve purchased some extra goodies. Landing gear more props and what not and I also came across a used iPad mini 3 for a steal on eBay and I purchased it. It is the WiFi and cellular model but I didn’t plan on adding cellular to it and paying an extra fee per month for it. So will I still be able to use it just fine under WiFi and then turn on a hotspot from my phone to update the map and home location ? And then turn off the hotspot ? I’m reading a lot of mixed things online about this. Please help
First, the iPad mini 3 has a slow processor and probably won't run the DJI Go 4 app perfectly

Your Mavic has a perfectly good GPS receiver that it uses for all flight needs.
There are only 2 flight functions that can use the GPS in the tablet.
These are Follow-me and resetting the home point to the current location of your controller (used if flying from a moving boat etc).

Meta4 is correct. I totally read that first post wrong. An Ipad Mini 3 is mentioned and I am so used to seeing the Ipad Mini 2 mentioned that I think my eyes and brain conspired against me to make me believe that he was mentioning the Ipad Mini 2.

It is such a rare device and yes underpowered processor for running DJIGO4. Perhaps thats why there was such a great deal to purchase it. I dont believe it is even part of the recommended devices that DJI states will run DJIGO4.

Last edited:
Meta4 is correct. I totally read that first post wrong. An Ipad Mini 3 is mentioned and I am so used to seeing the Ipad Mini 2 mentioned that I think my eyes and brain conspired against me to make be believe that he was mentioning the Ipad Mini 2.

It is such a rare device and yes underpowered processor for running DJIGO4. Perhaps thats why there was such a great deal to purchase it. I dont believe it is even part of the recommended devices that DJI states will run DJIGO4.

Well I just got lucky. I purchased the iPad mini 3 cell and WiFi. And they sent me a WiFi only and badly damaged 3. So I called complained very upset and angry because have been waiting for for nearly 2 weeks. They are now sending me a cell WiFi iPad mini 4 now. For the error and delay. They are eating the difference on the 2 now. So I should be fine now

Wow! Thats actually a great upgrade for your time and trouble! Excellent customer service!

I would wait two weeks in a heartbeat to be upgrade to the Mini 4. I have alot of tablets anyway. So waiting 2 weeks would not matter. :)

BTW, 15 flights r not enough to get Used to it
Pls take ur time
Plan ur flight in ur head if nothing else and stick to it
I fly up to 100 meters and look around for any obstacles

I rarely fly under 140ft not meters

Here there r no trees that tall

Cell towers have guy wires
Don’t fly near any towers
I no because I clipped a guy wire with my MP
No damage other than Heart attack

Good luck

Have Fun!

Hey everyone names John. My wife just got me the mavic pro platinum fly more combo for Christmas last week and I’ve flown it over 15 times already and am pretty used to it and happy with it. So I’ve purchased some extra goodies. Landing gear more props and what not and I also came across a used iPad mini 3 for a steal on eBay and I purchased it. It is the WiFi and cellular model but I didn’t plan on adding cellular to it and paying an extra fee per month for it. So will I still be able to use it just fine under WiFi and then turn on a hotspot from my phone to update the map and home location ? And then turn off the hotspot ? I’m reading a lot of mixed things online about this. Please help.

Thank you
I asked the same questions when I started. Bought an iPad Mini 4 with cellular. Never put a cellular card in it yet. Programmed a few test flights on Litchie while I had internet connection, saved the flights and took my Mavic 2 Pro to the location where I did the test flights. She flew perfectly, made the patterns I programmed and came "home" and landed. So no need for cellular yet.

Hey everyone names John. My wife just got me the mavic pro platinum fly more combo for Christmas last week and I’ve flown it over 15 times already and am pretty used to it and happy with it. So I’ve purchased some extra goodies. Landing gear more props and what not and I also came across a used iPad mini 3 for a steal on eBay and I purchased it. It is the WiFi and cellular model but I didn’t plan on adding cellular to it and paying an extra fee per month for it. So will I still be able to use it just fine under WiFi and then turn on a hotspot from my phone to update the map and home location ? And then turn off the hotspot ? I’m reading a lot of mixed things online about this. Please help.

Thank you
Read the manual, go to YouTube. Read the manual, read it again until you understand. I have a Mavic Pro. Jumped in at the deep end and had some issues. I did not know it had a learners mode and sport mode. I was in sport mode from the start. Read the manual!! I know there is a lot to take in all at once. Since buying 2 years ago I have taken it to Hawaii and Alaska. Now getting quite good at smooth video and nice stills. There is also a tripod mode which makes video very smooth and restricts your speed and turning. Read the manual. Best of luck.

Steve.
Edit: Do you know how many satellites there are up in Alaska? I have seen over 70 on my screen, compared to the average 17 to 24 here in New Zealand

Thank you

So if gps is weak then just simply turn on hotspot on my phone and iPad and then let it go off that?
The GPS strength for the display device will not affect the GPS strength of the Mavic, that is onboard the drone, the GPS on the display device is only used if you use the "RTH to the controller vs. RTH from launch point. The drone will know where it took off from based on the drone's GPS. I fly with same iPad. I fly pretty close to home, though I have to drive. I hooked up the iPad to the drone, started them up, not the motors, with the Mavic connected to the iPad, I could scroll the map using my home WiFi, to pre-cache the map for the parks where I fly.Or use a hot spot at the flying time to enable iPad some WiFi breath, to load up the maps.

Using the UCS update as at the end of April, the main purposes for the operational satellites are:

• Communications: 792 satellites, a 6.7% increase on last year.
  • Earth observation: 661 satellites, a 10.9% increase on last year.
  • Technology development/demonstration: 213 satellites, a 10.4% increase on last year.
  • Navigation/Positioning: 121 satellites, a 12% increase on last year.
  • Space science/observation: 76 satellites which is no real change from last year.
  • Earth science: 23 satellites, which is no real change from last year.

again, not that are providing service. a decommissioned satellite that once served that function does not count.

Do not enable wifi if you do only cache the map then turn it off.. you do not need any wifi or cell plan to fly espescally if you cached the map allready sometimes wifi really messes with the downlink too
11. the ipads come either wifi or wifi/cell the wifi has no gps so all that means is you cannot set the home to you and you can't use follow me mode..

Your iPad is only your display . I use a mini 4 wifi only . If I want a live map I will hotspot to my phone . Most of my flying is in celldead spots . So I just don’t have a live map . When you launch as long as you wait to hear( home point is recorded ) , your drone can find its way back if signal is lost or if you push return to home button . A gps iPad will allow you to move your home point to your controller and iPad if you move away from your launch site . I can’t do that with my wifi only iPad . But I have not needed to do that yet. If your not worried about a live map you would need to ever hotspot from your phone .
Hope this helps [emoji41]

Or you can buy Bluetooth GPS for non LTE
iPad mini 4

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections