DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones some help please

Hemikidd

Reactions
Hey everyone names John. My wife just got me the mavic pro platinum fly more combo for Christmas last week and I’ve flown it over 15 times already and am pretty used to it and happy with it. So I’ve purchased some extra goodies. Landing gear more props and what not and I also came across a used iPad mini 3 for a steal on eBay and I purchased it. It is the WiFi and cellular model but I didn’t plan on adding cellular to it and paying an extra fee per month for it. So will I still be able to use it just fine under WiFi and then turn on a hotspot from my phone to update the map and home location ? And then turn off the hotspot ? I’m reading a lot of mixed things online about this. Please help.

Thank you

You only need the GPS capability of that iPad no need for data or internet, it's why most people are flying in airplane mode.

Reactions: go-ahead-doubledown
Im sorry again new to this GPS for loading the map of where I am I assume ? Is there any draw backs to using WiFi only iPad ? Like pros an cons. I’m seeing so many things on videos of people saying the drone won’t know where home is since iPad won’t have location loaded. Just everything’s confusing.

I’m sorry is this has been brought up before

Reactions: WAXMAN
The WiFi and Cellular model has built in GPS. The WiFi only model does not. This will be advatageous if you want to have the Mavic use the Follow Me feature and changing the Home Point to the Location of the controller.

You do not need to insert a SIM card and pay for a cellular service to be able to utilize the GPS within the device.

Reactions: APDrone
The WiFi and Cellular model has built in GPS. The WiFi only model does not. This will be advatageous if you want to have the Mavic use the Follow Me feature and changing the Home Point to the Location of the controller.

You do not need to insert a SIM card and pay for a cellular service to be able to utilize the GPS within the device.

Ohhhhhh. So once I connect the cable to the controller it will automatically know because of the gps it will pick up from the iPad ?

The GPS is actually picked up by the AC. BDOG is correct as usual. Your cellular mini will then pick up the signal.

Even without me having hotspot turned on. So it will automatically be taken care of. So I have nothing to worry about and still have all my features ?

Your iPad is only your display . I use a mini 4 wifi only . If I want a live map I will hotspot to my phone . Most of my flying is in celldead spots . So I just don’t have a live map . When you launch as long as you wait to hear( home point is recorded ) , your drone can find its way back if signal is lost or if you push return to home button . A gps iPad will allow you to move your home point to your controller and iPad if you move away from your launch site . I can’t do that with my wifi only iPad . But I have not needed to do that yet. If your not worried about a live map you would need to ever hotspot from your phone .
Hope this helps [emoji41]

Reactions: Hemikidd
Even without me having hotspot turned on. So it will automatically be taken care of. So I have nothing to worry about and still have all my features ?
I bought a wifi only 9.7 a few weeks ago and use my iphone as a hotspot. I like having the map to view, I would be lost without it.

Reactions: Hemikidd
You can also connect to WiFi at home from the Ipad Mini and then launch your Maps application. Then find the area you plan to fly in on the map. Zoom in and Out on the location. This will cache that particular area to the Ipad so that when you visit the location it will be displayed within DJIGO4 . If you move to another location then you may not have a map view as that area may not be cached.

Reactions: JDawg
What map Application are you using as I have not being able to store a offline map with my mini4 and 90 % of my flying has no cell service . This is all remote area’s . Android has a offline map feature in go4 that the IOS — mini 4 don’t have

What map Application are you using as I have not being able to store a offline map with my mini4 and 90 % of my flying has no cell service . This is all remote area’s . Android has a offline map feature in go4 that the IOS — mini 4 don’t have
Starts at 1:50

I wouldn't recommend 3rd party props or landing gear. Or anything else for that matter... Including lens filters... If I'm not mistaken, DJI neither makes nor recommends filters. I'm sure most people will disagree with me but I'm just thinking "better safe than sorry.".
Plus, as you get time under your belt and have done uncountable research... Then you can make your own decisions about what to do and modify ... At the moment, I'd keep it to a smokin skin!

Reactions: Carl36 and Hemikidd
I bought a wifi only 9.7 a few weeks ago and use my iphone as a hotspot. I like having the map to view, I would be lost without it.

Same with me which is why I wanted to make sure that would still be an option for me

I'll disagree. an ND filter is more or less mandatory if you want to shoot high resolution video smoothly. and DJI very much sells their own. Mavic Pro ND Filters Set (ND 4/8/16/32)

and skins are a waste of money.

But they look cool! Plus I think they add horsepower as well! :) LOL

I love my PGYTech ND filters. I recommend the set with ND8, ND16, ND24, and ND32
The price is very reasonable for some quality ND filters. Just make sure to slightly twist the ND filter and seat it all the way till it bottoms out or there "may" be gimbal startup issues where it fails to initialize the gimbal at startup. The reason is that if the ND is not all the way back and bottomed out the weight will shift just slightly forward and make the camera/ gimbal think there is too much weight in the front and complain with an error.

Took me a bit to figure this out as I always just pressed straight back without the twist and I was using a very light touch. Now I just semi rotate into place and they always pass startup gimbal wiggle.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tienvn1904