DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dave21

Reactions
So I've recently moved to the south bay in LA from Australia and have quickly realised the laws around drones are A LOT more relaxed in Australia.

It appears that there are very few suitable areas to practise using my new DJI drone in Los Angeles and I'm hoping to find a good community that could help me out with a few locations to learn. Would also appreciate any tips from locals on the legal, registration and insurance side of things.

Any tips in general on flying a drone in California/LA hugely appreciated!

Great to meet you all anyway and thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching. Thumbswayup

Probably one place to start is look @ any Park & Recreation websites. Many parks are restricted, but generally state recreational areas are less restrictive.
Also check out this page from UAV Coach: Where to fly your Drone - There is a link for the Los Angeles area. Bear in mind, since "LA" is a big area, any place listed may not close to you.
There are members here from Southern California so you may get some good responses from them. (For example: Look in the area below this thead @ the Similar Threads. Some of the members are in those threads.)

Hello from the Crossroads of America Dave21.

Welcome to the Forum. ?

Probably one place to start is look @ any Park & Recreation websites. Many parks are restricted, but generally state recreational areas are less restrictive.
Also check out this page from UAV Coach: Where to fly your Drone - There is a link for the Los Angeles area. Bear in mind, since "LA" is a big area, any place listed may not close to you.
There are members here from Southern California so you may get some good responses from them. (For example: Look in the area below this thead @ the Similar Threads. Some of the members are in those threads.)
Thanks mate. I've had a look at that that page and there was a park right by my place on the coast listed- unfortunately when I went down there to have a look, there were "No drone" stickers on the signs in the park so I'm unsure how up to date the site is.

Ok I will look into state recreational areas! Thanks for the tips.

Dave

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! ? Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Thanks mate. I've had a look at that that page and there was a park right by my place on the coast listed- unfortunately when I went down there to have a look, there were "No drone" stickers on the signs in the park so I'm unsure how up to date the site is.

Ok I will look into state recreational areas! Thanks for the tips.

Dave
Good to know! Thanks!

Greetings welcome to the forum!

I'm in SoCal and drone laws are very localized. For example in Orange County you can not fly in a public park but in Irvine parks you can. Irvine parks are public parks in Orange County (head spins). Also every beach city has their own rules and laws.

Also flying in federal national parks is banned and the penalties are steep so I would not risk it. Make sure to use the B4UFLY or ALOFT apps. good luck

So I've recently moved to the south bay in LA from Australia and have quickly realised the laws around drones are A LOT more relaxed in Australia.

It appears that there are very few suitable areas to practise using my new DJI drone in Los Angeles and I'm hoping to find a good community that could help me out with a few locations to learn. Would also appreciate any tips from locals on the legal, registration and insurance side of things.

Dep

The best place I have found is the very large Parking Lot H at the famous Rose Bowl in Pasadena, which seems to have a drone-friendly policy, perhaps it is also home to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), which built Ingenuity, the drone now flying around Mars (whether there are NO restrictions).

Welcome From Alabama!

Hi guys,

New user here from Torrance, CA. I visited a few places this morning that were supposedly drone friendly to find out that they had "No Drone" stickers posted everywhere. The locations were Torrance Beach, Point Fermin Park, and also Wilder's Addition Park. It's difficult to find a place and the municipality regulations for cities are so confusing. Cheers.

John

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54