DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New tower for my video editing

Hi Guys, one of my friend just offer me today a tower supposedly much powerfull than my 6 year old Dell Laptop. I know nothing about graphic cards ans ram and all that thing. So here is what he is offering

Processeur I5 4690k liquid cold .
32 gigs ram
graphique crad nvidia gtx 1070 8gigs Disque dur m2 samsung 970 evo+ 240gigs
hard disk ssd 240gigs patriot burst
Hard disk mecanique NAS 1000gigs

will i be abble to edit my 4 k footage without problems with that tower and how much does this thing worth ?

Thank you guys!
Very mediocre computer. Not worth much. Get at least an i7 processor and a better graphics card. You could do better on Craigslist.

Hi Guys, one of my friend just offer me today a tower supposedly much powerfull than my 6 year old Dell Laptop. I know nothing about graphic cards ans ram and all that thing. So here is what he is offering

Processeur I5 4690k liquid cold .
32 gigs ram
graphique crad nvidia gtx 1070 8gigs Disque dur m2 samsung 970 evo+ 240gigs
hard disk ssd 240gigs patriot burst
Hard disk mecanique NAS 1000gigs

will i be abble to edit my 4 k footage without problems with that tower and how much does this thing worth ?

Thank you guys!
I have an i5 with 8GB liquid cooled cpu, 4.5 TB of SSD's, and a liquid cooled Fire GL pci 16 video card with 2Xhdmi, 1X display port and 1X dvi outputs for four simultaneous monitors. This is not good enough for either 2.7 or 4k video editing!

If you REALLY want to edit 4k video, find your local gamers' computer store and talk to the geeks. Get a system for tomorrow not yesterday.

Reactions: Mario McFly
Just dumped my 12 month old AMD Ryzen tower, broken for spares. Too unstable.

I now have an 17 inch screen i7 laptop, 1Tb M.2 SSD, 6Gb Nvidea RTX 260, 32Gig RAM. Cheaper than my old Tower, reliable, and renders a simple time line at over 75 fps.

I think the OP can do better. Secondhand parts are holding prices and there is a global shortage of components, mainly due to COVID 19. BUT there are some good deals to be had, especially from the cutom builders.

Good luck
Hi, Can you give me a link or info on that laptop that you replace your tower with ?

Thanks!

It's not true that an i5 isn't good enough, Intel's naming scheme is all over the place but the difference between an i5 and i7 for this system is just that the i7 has hyperthreading and the i5 doesn't. It does give a small boost in heavily multithreaded workloads but it's not day and night difference as you can see here with encoding performance:

Graphics cards can make a significant difference to encode speed and the GTX 1070 although a couple of generations old now is still a powerful graphics card. You'd need to check which software you're using to see if it does support GPU acceleration and how much it can assist.

I was using a similar system up until last year with an i7 3930K (hex core rather than quad core), GTX 1070 and 32GB ram which I found had good performance for 4K editing. I changed to a much newer 12 core processor which was faster per core as well as twice as many cores but didn't see as much improvement as I was expecting in 4K rendering performance because the graphics card was doing a lot more of the work than I'd realised.

If it's a friend who has the system could you load up your software and try a test render you've done on your laptop to see how the speed compares to give you an idea whether it's worth it.

I'm really not sure how to calculate the value as I've no idea of Canadian prices and in the UK, the prices for old Intel and Nvidia hardware can be surprisingly high. In addition to that the current PC market is a bit of a mess because both Nvidia and AMD have launched their new graphics cards but they're almost impossible to buy which has started pushing prices of some of the older cards back up. My main concern about buying an old system like that (the processor is six years old) is that there's no upgrade path, if you want a newer processor you'd also have to replace the motherboard and ram as well. If you have a failure it can be hard or uneconomical to source new parts and old second hand parts may not be that cheap and could also fail as well. In short I guess I'm saying I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it and you can check against current prices to see if it's worth it.
Thanks for writing this, i will try hes computer next week-end and see by my self ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji