DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New vid from DJI on Drone to Phone Remote ID Concept

I'm more concerned with the technology DJI are using to let everyone peep in on your flight, I can only think of without extra cost is open wifi, surely this poses more risk than a stranger knowing where you are. How long before some smart arsed hacker finds a way of using unprotected wifi to get into your phone, if your using your phone that is.

Ok so does the app record the drones you find on it and their id numbers and whatnot? I don't want my info recorded on hundreds of people's phones just bc the FAA wants to know who's flying what drone where. I get that my drones' registry numbers are probably open-source on the FAA's website, but for now you have to actually look for the info. It tells you the drone's registry number and who registered it, but not where they're flying at the time, where they flew before, all kinds of stuff like that. Also what happens if the drone isn't registered? You might have the firmware update with the broadcast feature, but if it's just some average guy flying his new drone that he hasn't registered yet, what will the app say? Unidentified? That's only going to elevate paranoia.

While it doesn’t require an Internet connection, it still requires a Wi-Fi connection. Users of monitors like the smart controller or the crystal sky will have to rely on a Wi-Fi connection via a hotspot with their cell phone stuck in their pocket. At least that’s how I see it from the DJI release.

I've got my doubts that a ground-based iPhone is going to pick up my drone's WiFi signal when the drone is 400 feet above the ground. Hell, it might have a tough time picking up the signal at even 150 feet.

Mark

I've got my doubts that a ground-based iPhone is going to pick up my drone's WiFi signal when the drone is 400 feet above the ground. Hell, it might have a tough time picking up the signal at even 150 feet.

Mark

I was thinking the same thing. But the ID software may not even need to be connected to the drone. All the info is, or can be, down linked to the remote control. Then just link the RC to the phone.

Last edited:
I think you just need the WiFi connection between the phone and the controller, like you do with live map displays. The firmware update along with occusync and the account you will have established will provide the required info for your maximum 400’ controller -to-drone flight.
At least that’s how I see it.