DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie DJI Drone Pilot to be

Crash Vader

Reactions
A few questions. This will be my first DJI drone.

1. What does registering your drone do? How will it effect me, if buying used?

2. Can I buy DJI Care for a used drone if I go that route?

3. Do the DJI RE Googles have the same functionality as the regular DJI Googles with DJI drones?

4. Does the Spark do waypoints?

1. It won't affect you at all but used, I'm not 100% clear on why you have to register with the FAA (assuming you're in the USA) though, someone more knowledgeable can explain why.

2. Yes, you have to provide a video to DJI showing the drone functioning correctly. It's a pretty involved video, I have it bookmarked on my laptop as there is a tutorial on what they require.

3. No idea

4. I think waypoints are a functionality of the software. I have a Mavic Air, think I'd need to use Litchi for waypoint flights and would assume the Spark is the same.

1. It won't affect you at all but used, I'm not 100% clear on why you have to register with the FAA (assuming you're in the USA) though, someone more knowledgeable can explain why.

You have to register because it's the law. The previous court decision invalidating the registration requirement got overturned after Congress passed a specific law allowing the FAA to require registration.

Make sure you don't get scammed and use the official FAA registration site: FAADroneZone

Reactions: tleedom
Maybe what I should have wrote, while I understand it's the law (registered mine as soon as I received it). I'm not sure why it's the law, or the purpose of being registered.

I'm not sure why it's the law, or the purpose of being registered.

For the same reason your car has a license plate. If you do something illegal or reckless with it and the drone is found law enforcement can find out who it belongs to.

Reactions: naiku and tleedom
The reason I ask. I see drones for sale that say "Not yet registered with DJI."

The drone is activated thru DJI and you register with the FAA. The first activates your warranty the second puts your name to a registration number that is attached to your drone.

Reactions: dawgpilot
For the same reason your car has a license plate. If you do something illegal or reckless with it and the drone is found law enforcement can find out who it belongs to.

Thanks, that was what I had figured it must be, but was not certain if there was more to it.

Thank you all for the replies. I am new to DJI products. Not new to drones, just DJI.
Still wondering which I am going to buy. Mavic Pro or Air. Even thought about the Spark.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661