DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie ? Is it me or do I have a problem on video?

Reactions
I am new to my Mavic Pro. I have flown it about 10 times with no mishaps. Have even got it out far enough (including terrain features) lost signal and it returned to return height where I again regained signal .....THANKS software!

Here is my problem. The last 3 times I have flown it, it cuts my video length to 12 - 14 seconds. I am using a 64 G card (actually have 2) and have made sure that there is plenty of room on cards (in fact this evening I had erased everything on it.). I am using the video record button on top left of RC (to left of left antennae.) It shows it is recording (counting off) and then it changes to 3 lines below the shutter/record button on my phone. By the way it is a Samsung 8+. I have had no previous issues on recording earlier flights of up to 15 minutes (longest.)

I earlier updated to the latest firmware. I will include a screen shot of the software versions currently installed.. Have I inadvertently messed up a setting without realizing it or do I have another problem?

Any help would be appreciated. Was hoping to get some great footage but each flight only got 12 - 14 seconds. Really disappointed this evening because besides flying over marsh and river with ducks, geese and swans, but I also got turkeys going to roost ........bummer.

Thanks ..........scratching my head in Nebraska.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171213-211835(2).jpg
    Screenshot_20171213-211835(2).jpg
    880.5 KB · Views: 39
I am new to my Mavic Pro. I have flown it about 10 times with no mishaps. Have even got it out far enough (including terrain features) lost signal and it returned to return height where I again regained signal .....THANKS software!

Here is my problem. The last 3 times I have flown it, it cuts my video length to 12 - 14 seconds. I am using a 64 G card (actually have 2) and have made sure that there is plenty of room on cards (in fact this evening I had erased everything on it.). I am using the video record button on top left of RC (to left of left antennae.) It shows it is recording (counting off) and then it changes to 3 lines below the shutter/record button on my phone. By the way it is a Samsung 8+. I have had no previous issues on recording earlier flights of up to 15 minutes (longest.)

I earlier updated to the latest firmware. I will include a screen shot of the software versions currently installed.. Have I inadvertently messed up a setting without realizing it or do I have another problem?

Any help would be appreciated. Was hoping to get some great footage but each flight only got 12 - 14 seconds. Really disappointed this evening because besides flying over marsh and river with ducks, geese and swans, but I also got turkeys going to roost ........bummer.

Thanks ..........scratching my head in Nebraska.

I didn't read your entire post but in settings, set the cache to auto.

Actually ~format your microSD card while it is IN the Mavic. This corrects most errors similar to what you have described.

You're talking about recording to the microSD card in the Mavic, not the phone, right?

Tell us more about the card than just the capacity. What's the write speed?

Under general settings I have the following settings. I did not see an option for setting cache to auto other than Auto Video Cache Cleanup. Do I need to look somewhere else? Should "Cache Locally" NOT be selected? I don't remember changing any of these from when it was originally working .......but sometimes I think I have dementia :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_ settings cache.png
    Screenshot_ settings cache.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
You're in the right place ~and there is no auto setting. Format the card in the bird (not in your computer)...

You're talking about recording to the MICROSOFT card in the Mavic, not the phone, right?

Yes I am trying to record to the micro - sd card in the Mavic. I know there is not enough memory left on my phone to record much there. When I first received drone it did record some to my phone, but I believe also to the Mavic sd card. Although if there is a setting to just record to phone that I may have inadvertently selected that could also be a problem. I will included an image of a screenshot of my cache settings.

I do NOT know the write speed. I can say that the original disk was a SanDisk Extreme. It came with the Mavic ( I purchased used) and I was able to record the first flights of up to 5 - 15 minutes. . The other disk is Samsung EVO +. I guess I could try and look up the write speed, but since the one was working not sure that would be the issue. I probably screwed up some setting (hopefully.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_ settings cache.png
    Screenshot_ settings cache.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
You're in the right place ~and there is no auto setting. Format the card in the bird (not in your computer)...

The card I purchased along with the drone was already formatted and did initially work to record videos from 5-15 minutes. I guess I could go ahead and try to format it in the Mavic, but if that is the problem I wonder why it stopped working? The other card I recently purchased I could understand that might be a problem, but neither are recording over the 10 - 14 seconds into the flight.

I appreciate your help. Hopefully we are closing in on the problem. Where do I look for function to format card in the Mavic?

Formatting takes about 1 second to run. Afterwards, hit the record button and see how long it runs...

You're talking about recording to the microSD card in the Mavic, not the phone, right?

Here is the info for the write speeds for the cards.
SanDisk
  • 64GB Storage Capacity
  • A1 / UHS-I / V30 / U3 / Class 10
  • Max Read Speed: 100 MB/s
  • Max Write Speed: 60 MB/s
Samsung EVO
  • 64GB Capacity
  • UHS-I / U3 / Class 10
  • Max. Read Speed: 100 MB/s
  • Min. Write Speed: 30 MB/s

SanDisk
  • 64GB Storage Capacity
Samsung EVO
  • 64GB Capacity
  • UHS-I / U3 / Class 10
Both are perfectly fine for the Mavic.

Kevin .......thanks!
I knew the one was working ....just not now. Guess the next thing is to try formatting in the Mavic, Don't necessarily understand why the one that was working would need it, but stranger things have happened.

Just being a Newbie, I wasn't sure if I have just inadvertently changed a setting to the wrong parameter.

I guess I will try the newest card first and try recording and see what happens before I just reformat both of them.

STILL PROBLEMS.

Formatted one of the disks in the Mavic and set it to record video while just setting on a table. Recorded video for average of 23 - 28 seconds before the video recorder shut off. Counter counted down the seconds and got a beep when it shut off. Could push record button again and would immediately start recording but for only the times mentioned above. Tried this 7 times.

Is there anywhere else I could look for a setting that perhaps I screwed up? Was recording at 4K 30 frames.

Hmmm~ there are absolutely no settings that would limit the amount of video recording time. I guarantee that. It sounds like something is defective. Could be the card(s)... Could be the Mavic. Be careful - just because one card worked for a while, don't assume (yet) that it's not part of the problem (until you know for sure). For the sake of testing (if you feel like it) - drop the cards into your computer and copy large amounts of data to them, to see if they choke. You might run benchmark tests for read and write speeds as there are a bunch of counterfeit cards for sale at big online retailers, like Amazon. Beyond that, I'll ask @Thunderdrones to check in here. He repairs Mavics.

Hmmm~ there are absolutely no settings that would limit the amount of video recording time. I guarantee that. It sounds like something is defective. Could be the card(s)... Could be the Mavic. Be careful - just because one card worked for a while, don't assume (yet) that it's not part of the problem (until you know for sure). For the sake of testing (if you feel like it) - drop the cards into your computer and copy large amounts of data to them, to see if they choke. You might run benchmark tests for read and write speeds as there are a bunch of counterfeit cards for sale at big online retailers, like Amazon. Beyond that, I'll ask @Thunderdrones to check in here. He repairs Mavics.

Qoncussion .....thanks for all your feedback!

Glad to at least know there is not a setting I could have inadvertently selected. I can try loading some large files ti cards from computer. I imagine there are some free apps for computer to try some bench tests.

Is there a setting to save to both phone and card or each independently? I know my phone memory is full. I don't know if there would be a setting that would save to both and if phone is full would stop the recording. Just a thought. I havent tried reformatting card in computer and then again in Mavic as one poster suggested ...try that tomorrow.

Thanks..... There are still a lot of great images and video to capture out there!

Attachments

• 20171026_002724.jpg
    20171026_002724.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
SanDisk
  • 64GB Storage Capacity
Samsung EVO
  • 64GB Capacity
  • UHS-I / U3 / Class 10
That's interesting no max write speed for Samsung and no minimum write speed for the Sandisk, how to compare guys?

This sounds like a fault, however it would be nice to try (yet) another card.
You could also try camera reset I suppose.
There aren't any settings you can accidentally enable which record only a short burst, unless perhaps as part of the newish selfie movements I never use.

In the settings just above auto cache cleanup, there's a cache setting, yours probably says 1G right now. Otherwise, change your video setting to 1080p and see if it records longer.

In the settings just above auto cache cleanup, there's a cache setting, yours probably says 1G right now.
Cache settings affect the low-resolution recordings saved to the DJI Go app. They have nothing to do with recording to the microSD card in the Mavic itself.

Cache settings affect the low-resolution recordings saved to the DJI Go app. They have nothing to do with recording to the microSD card in the Mavic itself.

Hmm... Oh well, my fault, I thought he said it was fine until an update. He could try to reload the update in DJI assistant 2 I guess.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman