DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie needs help with mavic pro - liftoff

Crownflier

Reactions
I've gone through all the calibrations multiple times (IMU, Compass) and when I try to take off it's like the front legs are trapped and the back starts to left off but the front just stays in place. All 4 propellers are spinning. Then it hits the front propellers and stops.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

I have some questions for you:

1) Is this a brand new Mavic Pro?
2) Has it ever lifted off properly?
3) Did you crash it?
4) Are you using OEM DJI props?
5) Are the props damaged?
6) Are the props attached properly?
7) What kind of surface is the Mavic sitting on?

Reactions: ksmusa
Does it do this using the auto takeoff?

3) Did you crash it?

1) brand new
2) has never been flown
3) nor crashed
4) The props that come in the box, just bought it yesterday
5) new props
6) I think they are attached properly, I'll double check that.
7) carpet and i moved it to be on concrete with same results

3) Did you crash it?

Can you tell me if the white propellers are supposed to be both on the front or back verses the black ones? What is the proper placement on the machine? Before I learned there were two different kinds I had two of the keepers off and may have swapped them.

I haven't tried auto takeoff, I'll have to look up how to do that.
It is right on the main screen. The reason I asked is that it sounds like it is trying to move forward before it lifts off . With auto takeoff there is no forward stick input so it should rise straight up.
Can you tell me if the white propellers are supposed to be both on the front or back verses the black ones?
It sounds like you have not read the manual. Please save yourself some grief and do so before you try to fly.

Propeller mounting instructions are pages 6-7.

Can you tell me if the white propellers are supposed to be both on the front or back verses the black ones? What is the proper placement on the machine?
Per the Mavic Pro manual:

Manual.jpg

If you're using OEM DJI props and they are not damaged, you should not be able to lock the props on the wrong motors.

You may need to watch a lot of videos which might help more than the manual - Ed Ricker has a good video or two on getting it all set up, propellors on properly, calibrated etc. 51 Drones has lots of good videos for newbies too and take your time - get it right, and its fairly easy but its also easy to get it wrong. Be sure to start in beginner mode and dont come out of that until youve worked out how to set up home properly, max altitude and I would recommend max distance too - max altitude I would set at 115 metres, max distance 500 metres to start - thats a kilometre in total. Then watch a video by Ian in London for camera settings which also covers control settings - I watched videos for a whole month before I even bought one.

Reactions: ksmusa
It is right on the main screen. The reason I asked is that it sounds like it is trying to move forward before it lifts off . With auto takeoff there is no forward stick input so it should rise straight up.

It sounds like you have not read the manual. Please save yourself some grief and do so before you try to fly.

Propeller mounting instructions are pages 6-7.

Yes, I've since read the manual and watch an hour and half of youtube instructional videos. There is a lot to take in. :)

You may need to watch a lot of videos which might help more than the manual - Ed Ricker has a good video or two on getting it all set up, propellors on properly, calibrated etc. 51 Drones has lots of good videos for newbies too and take your time - get it right, and its fairly easy but its also easy to get it wrong. Be sure to start in beginner mode and dont come out of that until youve worked out how to set up home properly, max altitude and I would recommend max distance too - max altitude I would set at 115 metres, max distance 500 metres to start - thats a kilometre in total. Then watch a video by Ian in London for camera settings which also covers control settings - I watched videos for a whole month before I even bought one.

Thank you, really appreciate your time and advice.

May be a stupid question but are you using the left stick on the RC to manually take off?

Strewth. You really need to either watch a lot more instructional vids or read the manual. A couple of things stand out in your post which are probably not connected with your problem of take off BUT will cause crashes or issues later.
Firstly you say you tried to take off on carpet, either you have dragged a carpet outdoors or you are taking off indoors. DO NOT take off indoors until you have learned how to fly and what you need to turn off before you do.
Secondly. You say you are taking off on concrete after moving from the carpet. It will be difficult to tell from looking at concrete whether it has reinforcing bars (rebars for short) buried in it, this will affect the compass and calibration with a result that the aircraft will probably try and fly in atti mode, which is not what you want as a newbie.
Another tip for you...don’t try and take off too soon, allow the aircraft to get GPS mode, it might take a minute, then use auto take off, wait until you have heard it say that the home point has been updated, I’ve seen too many people take off quickly before the home point has been recorded
Properly and when they use RTH, the aircraft goes to the point when it did records the home point, which could be several hundred feet away, in trees or buildings or water.
Hopefully a few nuggets of advice to help you get the most enjoyment from your aircraft. And you notice I say AIRCRAFT, because that is exactly what it is and your flying should be approached with almost the same responsibility as a pilot of any aircraft.
Many regards from the U.K.

You shouldn't be able to put the wrong props on the wrong motor, unless the tabs to prevent that is broken. If that is the case, you need to check where the damage is. If it's on the props, you need to swap them out and use new ones. If it's on the motor housing, then you might have to get it fixed, as the props might come off mid-air.
Please do your first flight in an open area, away from obstacles, during the day.

I haven't tried auto takeoff, I'll have to look up how to do that.

Don not try auto take off before you're 100% sure you sorted out the issue!

Have you tried a stick calibration already?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato