DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie question about flying in rain

onemeansaleen

Reactions
Hi all, I am really wanting to use a Mavic 2 for my business to take rooftop assessments for solar. Being in the Pacific Northwest where it rains 9 months of the year I am concerned about the options for rain flying. I am considering the Phantom Rain wetsuit, but there are some mixed opinions. I get that the best option is to stay dry, but the choices for a real water-resistant or waterproof drone are nowhere near the same caliber as the Mavic 2. I would almost exclusively use the POI mode and flight time would be limited to maybe 10-15 minutes.
Anyone with some real-world experience with the Phantom Rain being used for more than the accidental rain shower?

Reactions: Dronage
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I flew mine in a torrential downpour/blizzard this winter with no issue using the phantom rain wetsuit. But it is a risk even with it installed. Since your using it for business, the risk may be worth the reward. I definitely would not say it's 100 percent effective, but it works! The Mavic itself is fairly watertight already, except for the battery compartment. That's where the Wetsuit is most effective.

Welcome to the forum ... You might find this existing thread to be of intgerest ... Mavic 2 Zoom Extreme weather flying with the Mavic Rain Wet Suit. Hail Storm/ Heavy Rain
Thanks! I did see that video in my research before posting. Since it is a promotional video from the manufacturer I have seen a lot of other threads discussing how it might have made it through that video, but maybe not down the road if anything got wet and had time to corrode.
It seems like a viable solution, but everything I have found talks about a 1-time emergency or testing scenario. I'm wondering if it would have a good chance of holding up to repeated moderate rain or if there might just be a better solution.

While they are by no means inexpensive, the DJI Matrice 200 was designed to be flown in the rain. It has an IP43 rating.

Reactions: AnotherMavicPilot
I flew mine in a torrential downpour/blizzard this winter with no issue using the phantom rain wetsuit. But it is a risk even with it installed. Since your using it for business, the risk may be worth the reward. I definitely would not say it's 100 percent effective, but it works! The Mavic itself is fairly watertight already, except for the battery compartment. That's where the Wetsuit is most effective.
Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for. I definitely understand there is risk to putting any electrical device and water together. Hoping to gauge how much risk would be mitigated by planning ahead knowing I'll have to fly in the rain with some sort of protection. That is encouraging you came out fine in heavy weather. Makes me a bit more comfortable with repeated use in light/moderate rain if it can withstand a heavy downpour.
Maybe someone who has been caught in the rain multiple times can chime in?
If I decide to go this route (leaning that way for sure) I'll make sure to update the thread with what I find out after a few months of rain flying.

Welcome to the forum. enjoy.

Reactions: onemeansaleen
I'll look more into those. I was looking into the Matrice initially since they have the payload to carry a LIDAR camera. Doesn't take many Mavic 2 mishaps from the rain to end up costing more than the Matrice.

Thank you for the Interest in the Mavic 2 Wet Suits.

Keep in mind that this is not our first Wet Suit , We developed the Wet Suits for the Phantom 4 and have over 100 flights in the rain on video now , and our looking forward to more storms this year.

The Wet Suit for the Mavic 2 is designed primarily to keep water out of the Battery compartment and to Protect the batteries from Moisture , being they are so prone to swelling up .

As mentioned the Mavic 2 was already built to be somewhat weatherproof , it just needed a little TLC to make it better.

We plan on flying it everyday it rains this year, so far we are 4 storms in. ;)

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Gear for flying in and out of the Storm.

Reactions: grendeljaeger
While they are by no means inexpensive, the DJI Matrice 200 was designed to be flown in the rain. It has an IP43 rating.

The problem is the Cool Air Intake on the Matrice , you cannot fly it in the Rain unless you have the Rain Shield over it.
The problem with that is the Rain Shield is Plastic, and for some reason, that cannot be explained is not sealed.

We are in the Process of making the Wet Suit for the M 200 as the longest we have seen it flown in the rain for is about 4 minutes before Rain entered into the Front vents even with the Plastic Rain Shield.

With a price tag well over $8000.00 this may not be the way to go , when you can fly the Mavic 2 for 26 minutes easy in the rain..

The m200 Wet Suit should provide a much better seal all around the drone.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AnotherMavicPilot
FWIW, here's what DJI states in the Matrice 200 FAQ:

"IP43, means that the Matrice 200 Series V2 can be protected from objects greater than 1 millimeter, and from water spray less than 60 degrees vertically. The IP43 protection rating can protect the Matrice 200 Series V2 when used in adverse environments with dust particles or light showers. "

I'll look more into those. I was looking into the Matrice initially since they have the payload to carry a LIDAR camera. Doesn't take many Mavic 2 mishaps from the rain to end up costing more than the Matrice.
Don't forget to look into DJI's Wind series.
These crafts are extremely ruggedized, IP 56 rated. (and can carry LiDAR sensors ;) )

Don't forget to look into DJI's Wind series.
These crafts are extremely ruggedized, IP 56 rated. (and can carry LiDAR sensors ;) )
DANG! I hadn't seen those yet. Looks like $8k to start! I could nuke 4 Mavic 2s every year and still have one to fly for that price. I believe in having the right tool for the job though. For that price point I would definitely have to look into integrating the drone use in other parts of my business like tower inspections or maybe thermal inspections.
Maybe DJI will design a good IP rated compact drone in the <$2k range someday ?

Thank you for the Interest in the Mavic 2 Wet Suits.

Keep in mind that this is not our first Wet Suit , We developed the Wet Suits for the Phantom 4 and have over 100 flights in the rain on video now , and our looking forward to more storms this year.

The Wet Suit for the Mavic 2 is designed primarily to keep water out of the Battery compartment and to Protect the batteries from Moisture , being they are so prone to swelling up .

As mentioned the Mavic 2 was already built to be somewhat weatherproof , it just needed a little TLC to make it better.

We plan on flying it everyday it rains this year, so far we are 4 storms in. ;)

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Gear for flying in and out of the Storm.
I have watched the videos and it is definitely encouraging. For business use it would be nice to see a long-term test on the same drone. No shortage of rainy days around here. I could have 4 rainy flights in the same day, 5 days a week for months. Might be a better option to use my Gen 1 as a tester. At least then I'd only be out the used market value of a Gen 1 Mav Pro.

Thanks! I did see that video in my research before posting. Since it is a promotional video from the manufacturer I have seen a lot of other threads discussing how it might have made it through that video, but maybe not down the road if anything got wet and had time to corrode.
It seems like a viable solution, but everything I have found talks about a 1-time emergency or testing scenario. I'm wondering if it would have a good chance of holding up to repeated moderate rain or if there might just be a better solution.

As a Seattle resident I suggest, particularly this week, MOVE TO TUCSON! But March was glorious! :)

Hi all, I am really wanting to use a Mavic 2 for my business to take rooftop assessments for solar. Being in the Pacific Northwest where it rains 9 months of the year I am concerned about the options for rain flying. I am considering the Phantom Rain wetsuit, but there are some mixed opinions. I get that the best option is to stay dry, but the choices for a real water-resistant or waterproof drone are nowhere near the same caliber as the Mavic 2. I would almost exclusively use the POI mode and flight time would be limited to maybe 10-15 minutes.
Anyone with some real-world experience with the Phantom Rain being used for more than the accidental rain shower?

Hi there,

First, I love this question. Rain suits for drones, never knew they existed. Living in Vermont I would love to send mine up during a nice gentle snowfall sometime. I am a M2P owner.

Second, may I ask you if you have your Drone Pilot Certification (Drone Pilot License) for work in your business? This is in no way judgmental or anything negative. I am only asking because I am going through a course to obtain mine so that I can work commercially and I wonder how many pilots actually have done this. I only know of one other Drone pilot who has. I am working commercially already but by the time my photos get published in their journals, I should be certified. I'm just curious to know how many of us pilots have this Part 107 certification.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi there,

First, I love this question. Rain suits for drones, never knew they existed. Living in Vermont I would love to send mine up during a nice gentle snowfall sometime. I am a M2P owner.

Second, may I ask you if you have your Drone Pilot Certification (Drone Pilot License) for work in your business? This is in no way judgmental or anything negative. I am only asking because I am going through a course to obtain mine so that I can work commercially and I wonder how many pilots actually have done this. I only know of one other Drone pilot who has. I am working commercially already but by the time my photos get published in their journals, I should be certified. I'm just curious to know how many of us pilots have this Part 107 certification.

Thanks,
Kevin
I do, and from the traffic on the forums that talk about the 107 test, I gather there are many others.

Reactions: Mavic Maveric
If it rains 9 months out of the year, how effective is solar anyway??

I do, and from the traffic on the forums that talk about the 107 test, I gather there are many others.

I'm not going to hijack this important thread but I will thank you for your response. Nice to know!

If it rains 9 months out of the year, how effective is solar anyway??

Actually, quite effective. I will admit the various rebates and incentives helped convince me initially. But, at least, Seattle gets enough sun over the course of a year to make it work okay. The comparisons were our sunlight to Germany's which is apparently well-established for solar installations.

Backyard.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman