DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ Flight Aborted

Ron_Dog

Reactions
I took the MP out with my wife and our three Labrador Retrievers at our local club. I intended to film the "Girls" (our labs) water retrieving in the lake. The club is 2 1/2 miles for a old local airport,with very low traffic (maybe one plane a day). Anyway the MP wouldn't allow me to start the motors,or lift off!:mad: The really sad part is I shot video at the same location with my Q 500 4K,with no problems.What is the "real reason" DJI slaps these stupid restrictions on the Mavic Pro,and their other drones,when Yuneec dosen't see the need for them,or force owners to install them on their drones? This NFZ crap is getting out of hand,I now see why guys run the older firmware,to avoid the hassels!o_O

Yep! Nothing sucks more than driving out to a scenic location and then have the drone tell you "sorry I am not flying".

Rob

Reactions: Ron_Dog
Yep! Nothing sucks more than driving out to a scenic location and then have the drone tell you "sorry I am not flying".

Rob
The thing I can't understand is why Yuneec,dosen't bend over backwards to suck up,and DJI dose?

Can't see the problem with DJI enforcing the laws and common sense. Without it, given the attitude of the standard mavic user i suspect there'd be massively more idiots flying where they shouldn't be and causing problems.

Which can mainly be avoided by doing 2 mins research before driving out there. Is it locked, is it not locked, do i need an authorisation code etc. Simple planning.

The "real" reason you ask?

Think about it for a minute. DJI is a company in a communist country, where for the most part, people aren't allowed to make the kind of decisions you advocate for here.

I'm not disparaging DJI, but their entire mindset is 180 opposed to the individual responsibility we have here.

Should surprise no one.

For those who have this "we need to be protected from ourselves" mindset, i'd love to have a polite private conversation about how dangerous that mentality is.

But that is not for here, and I tolally agree this nannying will eventually cost them.

Last edited:
Can't see the problem with DJI enforcing the laws and common sense. Without it, given the attitude of the standard mavic user i suspect there'd be massively more idiots flying where they shouldn't be and causing problems.

Which can mainly be avoided by doing 2 mins research before driving out there. Is it locked, is it not locked, do i need an authorisation code etc. Simple planning.
Yeah,if DJI WOULD USE some common sense,it wouldn't be a problem. They need to really look at the no fly zones,and the traffic flow. One airport in our area is a private airport,that hasen't had a plane land,or take off,in15 years!:rolleyes:The bad part is I would be flying at about 30 AGL the whole flight! The good part is I will be using the Q500 4K to shoot the video from now on at that location,just a shame the MP can't perform there,as It's become one of my favorite drones,except in this instance.

They do if people like you hit the "report incorrect information" button. Of course if you don't they won't know.
Yeah,I need to do that!;) About 15 times in my area! Every grass strip that is used by a ultralight is on there too!

Yeah,I need to do that!;) About 15 times in my area! Every grass strip that is used by a ultralight is on there too!
I have a grass strip a mile or two away, always get the warning, just turn it off. no big deal. if I would hear an airplane flying near me, I would make sure I was out of his way. Just because the NFZ are showing up doesn't necessarily mean you can't fly near them.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
I have a grass strip a mile or two away, always get the warning, just turn it off. no big deal. if I would hear an airplane flying near me, I would make sure I was out of his way. Just because the NFZ are showing up doesn't necessarily mean you can't fly near them.
The point is,how are these "grass strips" getting entered into the system? No tower,ILS,ect? Apprently all you need to get on the list, is a grass strip,and maybe a windsock?

Grass fields are all marked on the FAA Aeronautical chart that pilots use to fly with, that DJI must be using to set up their NFZ maps. Take a look at the attachment. see the red "R"

Attachments

• Green_Bay_94_P copy.jpg
    Green_Bay_94_P copy.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: BigAl07
Grass fields are all marked on the FAA Aeronautical chart that pilots use to fly with, that DJI must be using to set up their NFZ maps. Take a look at the attachment. see the red "R"
Yes,and the one's that have been abandoned are still there too! I know of 2 in our area that the pilots have passed on,years ago,and are not in use. But they still are listed! Maybe for emergency landings? I dunno? But it sure makes flying the MP a PITA!

The problem is the DATA that DJI is using. It's not DJI's fault the FAA has many obsolete strips etc still listed. It's never been a big deal (And it still isn't really in the Big Picture). This doesn't mean they don't need to do some housekeeping but they've not removed old strips in decades unless they are deemed "UN-Useable" for safety reasons. @locoman hit the nail on the head above.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3