DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ restrictions

Ejay (DJI Support)
Jan 2, 00:57 CST
Dear Craig,

Thank you for contacting DJI Support.

We appreciate your for bringing some of the concerns of the Drone users in the DJI Forum. We have every desire to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue as soon as possible.

First of all, I would like to thank you for patronizing our products especially the Mavic 2 Pro. I completely understand your concern on the No Fly Zone areas and the firmware of the Mavic 2. Our Engineers are constantly reviewing and checking all the possible updates that they can provide with the Mavic 2. Please wait for the release of the new updates as they will input the concerns you provided on this email.

Rest assured that all the concerns brought to us by our Customers were checked by our support team, they also looked for some inputs from the DJI Forums.

Should you have further questions, feel free to contact us.

Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Ejay
DJI Technical Support
Youtube: DJI Support
Ejay, are you implying the DJI is working on updating the firmware to include an NFZ removal option?

Reactions: crlmjohnson
I was kind of hoping at least for the pilots that have pass the FAA Part 107 test, at least be able to enter their license number in their controller, so that we would not have to mess around with the software prior to flying. because the new update (NFZ) does not count for air space that is legal for a FAA Part 107 UAS pilot to fly in. That is why I email DJI helpdesk support, Because I spent a lot of time studying for the test, and spend some extra money on extra courses to help me pass the test. and I am pretty sure I was not the only one that did this. I just would like to be able to enjoy the benefits of owning the license.

Ejay, are you implying the DJI is working on updating the firmware to include an NFZ removal option?

I hope they consider different approaches to managing the NFZ. For example, I live in a NFZ which means, with my DJI drone, I have to take a drive to test parameter changes (camera, flight modes, e.g.). Last weekend I wanted to check my house gutters and had to climb a 2 story ladder to check instead of using my Mavic. Maybe they can consider height restriction (40 or 50 feet?) in NFZs. I bet that wouldn't affect air traffic and would allow your users more flexibility with your product.

I hope they consider different approaches to managing the NFZ. For example, I live in a NFZ which means, with my DJI drone, I have to take a drive to test parameter changes (camera, flight modes, e.g.). Last weekend I wanted to check my house gutters and had to climb a 2 story ladder to check instead of using my Mavic. Maybe they can consider height restriction (40 or 50 feet?) in NFZs. I bet that wouldn't affect air traffic and would allow your users more flexibility with your product.

Suggest that you contact the airport in your area to get an exemption. I believe that you can disable the NFZ restriction in DJI Go 4 if you click the button that says that you have applied for and been granted an exemption. Am I right? Not sure, sorry.

If it truly is an NFZ (red zone), then you need to send the authorization to DJI. Otherwise anyone can claim they have the paperwork.
Blue zones can be unlocked after validation by CC or SMS.

Reactions: deleted member 877
Suggest that you contact the airport in your area to get an exemption. I believe that you can disable the NFZ restriction in DJI Go 4 if you click the button that says that you have applied for and been granted an exemption. Am I right? Not sure, sorry.

I will have to check. i do not know.

It would really suck to live in a NFZ. Its freezing out where I live. I just sat on my couch under my blanket and flew the drone around my back yard and as far as legally possible of course

Same issue happened to me, just around December of last year when I tried to fly my Mavic Air from the usual spot in my house that I was prompted it's a No Fly Zone. I was kind of confused and a bit shocked, since I do not fly my drone very often and I can't pinpoint the exact date they implemented these restrictions. I checked the Geo Zone Map from the DJIGO4 app and was surprised to see that my house is now in the BLUE Area which didn't exist before. So I tried to unlock it through the app but to no avail. Then sometime this week there was an update that rolled out. I figured I'd just install it since it can't do any worse. Then just today, I tried to fly on the same spot I've always taken off, it hovered for a few seconds before the app prompted me that it's engaging auto-landing since I'm in an NFZ. I really thought the update will fix the issue, apparently not. I currently have the v4.3.11(722-official). So, I was left with no choice but to do the self-unlocking process and was able to receive a verification code from Airmap through SMS. Entered the code and Verified, I was able to take-off once more and fly around as usual. Sorry for the long post but my question is, are we being charged in some way by asking for these verification Codes from Airmap to be used on our DJI Drones? And is this a one-time thing or do you have to request for verification everytime you are in an NFZ. Thanks everyone!

Sorry for the long post but my question is, are we being charged in some way by asking for these verification Codes from Airmap to be used on our DJI Drones? And is this a one-time thing or do you have to request for verification everytime you are in an NFZ. Thanks everyone!

I don't believe that there is any charge for this - I say so mainly because you are not compelled to enter a payment method or credit card number in DJI Go 4 settings. Also, they cannot legally charge for a service unless it's clearly stated at the point of purchase - in this case, there would have to be a checkbox to click on to confirm that you agree to pay for the service.

I realise that the process involves DJI GO 4 interacting with Airmap but I still believe that DJI GO 4 would legally have to make it clear to the user that a charge was to be incurred. Of course, I could be completely wrong so people, please correct me if that is the case.

I also saw this (see link below) dated October 2018 - it seems the DJI has parted company with Airmap in favour of PrecisionHawk .

DJI Refines Geofencing and Ditches AirMap for PrecisionHawk

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N