DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ restrictions

AzBrewer

Reactions
Ran into a curious issue the other day, I have a mavic pro, my step son has a Spark, we fly occasionally in front of the house, which is on the edge of a yellow zone. We have flown individually here many times and, never had a problem unlocking the zone...Until Christmas day. On Chrismas we tried to fly at the same time, but could only get one drone approved for the NFZ at a time. When my Stepson was flying, mine would not connect to DJI to get the NFZ code, after clicking the 3 check boxes I would only get an SSL handshake error. I initially thought it was just connectivity issues, but when his was landed with the motors shutoff, mine would connect with no issues, and his would no longer connect. I am at work so i am unable to get my firmware version, I can add it when get home if it helps, I am just curious if this is normal or if anyone has seen this before??

Oh just to clarify: We have flown both at the same time multiple times in NON- NFZ with no issues or interference at all

Did either one of you hit update rather than ignore for this ?
We both connected and checked for updates in the house before going out, then re-checked outside before flying. I don't think mine had an update that particular day, I do not know offhand if Zach's did on the spark. I do remember him saying he was showing the current firmware, but do not know if he updated prior to this issue, we are both pretty new to this so we check updates and install when available

do the update, and then go thru the steps to unlock the drone. This is a new feature in the update from DJI.
it is putting the responsibility on the drone operator in case of an major/minor accident.

Reactions: Inspirephil
Did either one of you hit update rather than ignore for this ?
I ALWAYS hit ignore when it pops up! :( tired of all the restrictions DJI’s putting on us. There’s enough of that stuff already without adding anymore to my drones.
Seriously thinking about getting NoLimitDonez to put the brakes on all these unneeded flight restrictions. My friend just did and he swears by it. I’ve had this information since last year but now it’s time to put it to use with all my drones and fly safely but unhindered by DJI’s needless garbage.

I did the update, now I want to roll it back.

Reactions: timbo9397
Someone please explain the procedures to manually unlock NFZ’s so all of us will know how to do it if we ever accidentally hit update. Thanks guys and gals. :)

as of right now when I try to start the motors it'll tell me I need to unlock it manually by entering my phone number (or something else I dont remember now) then it sends me a text with a code (token) that's valid for 5 minutes. I enter the code (6 digits) and then it goes to a list of 3 things to check.
the one I remember says that I'll authorize the FAA to review my flight records if necessary! I don't remember the other two and after you check all three it unlocks it for you.

mines connects back to DJI. That is where my validation comes for the app. I purchase my drone directly from DJI.

yes

it is kind a pain in the rump shaker

Back to the original OP problem.
You both wouldnt happen to be on the same Wi-Fi for internet, would you? If so you're sharing the same public IP and that might be throwing DJI's server off track. It shouldn't but who knows. Could also be the router/firewall not separating the two connections. Again that shouldn't be, but possible.

Back to the original OP problem.
You both wouldnt happen to be on the same Wi-Fi for internet, would you? If so you're sharing the same public IP and that might be throwing DJI's server off track. It shouldn't but who knows. Could also be the router/firewall not separating the two connections. Again that shouldn't be, but possible.
That is a good question... I do not think we were on the same wifi, as he was already flying when I was trying to obtain my code. I think the spark has its own wifi either to the controller or the Spark? I think it has been long enough, it "should" require codes again today I will do some more testing today when I get home. I will also try a little further apart when trying to get the code, maybe there is interference.

I ALWAYS hit ignore when it pops up! :( tired of all the restrictions DJI’s putting on us. There’s enough of that stuff already without adding anymore to my drones.
Seriously thinking about getting NoLimitDonez to put the brakes on all these unneeded flight restrictions. My friend just did and he swears by it. I’ve had this information since last year but now it’s time to put it to use with all my drones and fly safely but unhindered by DJI’s needless garbage.

Well said mate! This is exactly the attitude that will achieve nothing but help to get recreational drone flying totally banned. Please do the law-abiding majority a favour by not posting your irresponsible opinions here.

Well said mate! This is exactly the attitude that will achieve nothing but help to get recreational drone flying totally banned. Please do the law-abiding majority a favour by not posting your irresponsible opinions here.
I completely understand what he ment... the first time I flew my pro 2 I had no issues. I updated it and now I have to agree to hand over my first born son if the FAA demands it to unlock my mavic ha ha ha
but yeah the correct procedure it to always update and follow the rules. I know. I always file the flight plan on airmap since I'm 2.7 miles from a airport and I dont want any problems. I'm 107 certified also

Reactions: deleted member 877
I completely understand what he ment... the first time I flew my pro 2 I had no issues. I updated it and now I have to agree to hand over my first born son if the FAA demands it to unlock my mavic ha ha ha
but yeah the correct procedure it to always update and follow the rules. I know. I always file the flight plan on airmap since I'm 2.7 miles from a airport and I dont want any problems. I'm 107 certified also

Great post - many thanks! We need a lot more like yours to help convince the FAA and other Airspace regulators (and be assured that they do watch this and other Drone related forums like Hawkes) that we're doing what we can to convince the selfish minority that it's not OK to promote illegal drone flying activity.

Reactions: lalojamesliz
The app used for the spark still needs internet in order to activate or in some cases unlock NFZ.
If your mobile has cellular data, then it can possibly provide internet while you connect to the spark via Wi-Fi. However some devices won't use cellular data if connected to anything via Wi-Fi, even if the Wi-Fi isn't providing internet.
Nowadays that's not a bad thing, since many public Wi-Fi sites need you to register over a web form before you actually get internet.

Ejay (DJI Support)
Jan 2, 00:57 CST
Dear Craig,

Thank you for contacting DJI Support.

We appreciate your for bringing some of the concerns of the Drone users in the DJI Forum. We have every desire to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue as soon as possible.

First of all, I would like to thank you for patronizing our products especially the Mavic 2 Pro. I completely understand your concern on the No Fly Zone areas and the firmware of the Mavic 2. Our Engineers are constantly reviewing and checking all the possible updates that they can provide with the Mavic 2. Please wait for the release of the new updates as they will input the concerns you provided on this email.

Rest assured that all the concerns brought to us by our Customers were checked by our support team, they also looked for some inputs from the DJI Forums.

Should you have further questions, feel free to contact us.

Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Ejay
DJI Technical Support
Youtube: DJI Support

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members