DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS SPOOFING RESOLUTION

Zatara

Reactions
So im a professional drone operator now and all of the sudden most of my work is on halt due to GPS spoofing in most locations in lebanon (caused by the war in nearby countries )
basically whats happening is that 2 min from take off the drone will think it is in a no fly zone mainly the airport and then auto land or even worse it will loose the gps entirely and a flyaway will happen
doing some research i found out that my mavic 3 can be hacked to fly in fcc mode and override the nfz mode
is this applicable ? and how can i do it ? and do u think doing this will help me get through the issue
please if anyone has an idea or a solution share it because the working season is just begining and it feels like im out of my job
thank you

Hey Zatara, FCC the hack is possible. Best do a search here on the forums for "FCC Hack", you'll find details where to buy the hack,(about $40 last i checked). Most reliable is a guy on Telegram.
There are a few Hacks out there, im sure others will chime in with options or advice. I have the FCC hack from Telegram installed, i stay in Bangkok and with ll the interference here in the city the CE label is almost useless.

If your Mavic 3 has firmware 01.00.1000 you can use Drone-Hacks to remove NFZ and enable FCC.
Have a look at Drone-Hacks, the best way to hack your DJI Drone - Birdmap and scroll down to Mavic 3.

There is also a hacked version of Mavic 3 firmware, hacked by Russians. It is called firmware 1001 and can be found on the net if you do a search. It can be a bit tricky to install, but is supposed to give your Mavic 3 complete freedom.

Reactions: Sir Maxwell Greene
This post may be useful too:

or even worse it will loose the gps entirely and a flyaway will happen
???
Without GPS, your drone can't fly away to anywhere.
Surely you mean is that the drone ends up in Atti Mode without position holding.
It should be perfectly controllable in Atti Mode, but the handling would be different, without any "brakes".

Reactions: mavictk and BigAl07
...all of the sudden most of my work is on halt due to GPS spoofing in most locations in lebanon

basically whats happening is that 2 min from take off the drone will think it is in a no fly zone...or even worse it will loose the gps entirely and a flyaway will happen
Both these effects with NFZ & loosing GPS doesn't sound like only spoofing...

NFZ's come from the DJI Flysafe material in your drone & are dependent on GPS for a position so the DJI Fly app knows where your drone is, secondly the NFZ can be valid & if you fly you may violate regulations that the official authorities want to impose... surely nothing you want if flying professionally.

If the GPS reception is lost even though your drone is up on height surrounded by an unobstructed sky... it can be spoofing, & by losing GPS your drone reverts to Atti mode... meaning your drone no longer have positional hold, it will instead drift with whatever affecting it & will not auto brake when releasing the sticks... it will not "Flyaway"... you will be in control all the time. Depending on what you do with your drone professionally, it may be a problem... flying close to thing's for inspection purposes for instance. If you aren't used to fly in Atti mode, being close to obstacles can mean that you crash.

...doing some research i found out that my mavic 3 can be hacked to fly in fcc mode and override the nfz mode...
Hey Zatara, FCC the hack is possible...
If your Mavic 3 has firmware 01.00.1000 you can use Drone-Hacks to remove NFZ and enable FCC...
First of all... FCC doesn't solve GPS spoofing (or a bad GPS reception), so a FCC hack will not help at all, it's all about the connection between the RC & drone.

And the Drone-Hackz "hack" for the NFZ is based on a custom Flight Controller & not a software hack only... by doing that investment & then fly in NFZ could mean high penalties, bad reputation for your business & even that you being banned from continue with your business.

1709722366834.png

Reactions: Cafguy
GPS jamming might have been a more accurate term.
I've seen the data from several flights in that part of the world that clearly show the effects of GPS Jamming.

i-Xb4P544-XL.jpg

GPS jamming might have been a more accurate term.
Yeah, you're right... my non native English language tricked me, & maybe also the OP?

Or...
He could be spoofed into an NFZ even though he isn't flying there for real. And jammed when he looses the GPS reception & gets Atti mode.

In my earlier post I meant Jamming...

-Spoofing is when something is making a GPS receiver calculate a false position.
-Jamming is when the GPS satellite signals is overpowered locally so that a receiver can no longer operate.

Reactions: mavictk

NFZ's come from the DJI Flysafe material in your drone & are dependent on GPS for a position so the DJI Fly app knows where your drone is, secondly the NFZ can be valid & if you fly you may violate regulations that the official authorities want to impose... surely nothing you want if flying professionally.

If the GPS reception is lost even though your drone is up on height surrounded by an unobstructed sky... it can be spoofing, & by losing GPS your drone reverts to Atti mode... meaning your drone no longer have positional hold, it will instead drift with whatever affecting it & will not auto brake when releasing the sticks... it will not "Flyaway"... you will be in control all the time. Depending on what you do with your drone professionally, it may be a problem... flying close to thing's for inspection purposes for instance. If you aren't used to fly in Atti mode, being close to obstacles can mean that you crash.

First of all... FCC doesn't solve GPS spoofing (or a bad GPS reception), so a FCC hack will not help at all, it's all about the connection between the RC & drone.

And the Drone-Hackz "hack" for the NFZ is based on a custom Flight Controller & not a software hack only... by doing that investment & then fly in NFZ could mean high penalties, bad reputation for your business & even that you being banned from continue with your businesS
The problem is that when the drone is in atti mode it just drifted towards a building the went towards the sea to land there and i was trying to bring it back with the controller but it wouldn't respond
maybe if its in fcc the controller will have better connection with the drone or not?

Yeah, you're right... my non native English language tricked me, & maybe also the OP?

Or...
He could be spoofed into an NFZ even though he isn't flying there for real. And jammed when he looses the GPS reception & gets Atti mode.

In my earlier post I meant Jamming...

-Spoofing is when something is making a GPS receiver calculate a false position.
-Jamming is when the GPS satellite signals is overpowered locally so that a receiver can no longer operate.
its a mix between the two because its happening with google maps also the location first starts to give the airport and then the gps signal is completely lost

The problem is that when the drone is in atti mode it just drifted towards a building the went towards the sea to land there and i was trying to bring it back with the controller but it wouldn't respond
If it loses GPS, the drone will drift with any wind and when you release the sticks it will keep drifting.
If you aren't used to it, it might feel like it isn't responding but it does .... just differently.
maybe if its in fcc the controller will have better connection with the drone or not?
GPS interference shouldn't make any difference to the control signal.

With the incidents that I've seen, the GPS interference seems to work from about 30 metres above ground.
Reducing height brings you back into GPS reception.
If you encounter it again, watch the satellite count as you climb and if it drops out, bring the drone down again, keeping an eye of satellite numbers.

Reactions: mavictk
The problem is that when the drone is in atti mode it just drifted...
As said... FCC will only increase the transmission power compared to the CE mode, it will not make any difference when it comes to GPS spoofing or jamming. If you can't keep control of your drone when in Atti mode & keep it near... the only thing that FCC will do is to make your drone drift even further away before you lose the connection & it auto lands.

its a mix between the two because its happening with google maps also the location first starts to give the airport and then the gps signal is completely lost
That doesn't necessarily mean that the GPS is "Spoofed"... sounds more like that the reception is jammed (& therefore the positional quality is bad) making the first visible position being a long way from you, before it then cuts out entirely.

Is it possible that there are two problems, GPS spoofing (making it look like the drone was in a NFZ when it was not) as well as a signal jammer that was blocking the signal from the controller to the drone (which would explain why the drone was non-responsive)?

If it loses GPS, the drone will drift with any wind and when you release the sticks it will keep drifting.
If you aren't used to it, it might feel like it isn't responding but it does .... just differently.

GPS interference shouldn't make any difference to the control signal.

With the incidents that I've seen, the GPS interference seems to work from about 30 metres above ground.
Reducing height brings you back into GPS reception.
If you encounter it again, watch the satellite count as you climb and if it drops out, bring the drone down again, keeping an eye of satellite numbers.
How does that work out? Is it ground-based GPS signal jamming and when you go low enough you’re just out of its signal line of sight?

How does that work out? Is it ground-based GPS signal jamming and when you go low enough you’re just out of its signal line of sight?
I'm guessing that the source is likely to be far away and their signal just isn't strong down low, being affected by line of sight?
When there were US warnings of GPS jamming tests, they would give details about what altitudes would be affected and they had a similar pattern.
But I'm not sure if that was by design or just the physics of signal propgation.

Reactions: mavictk and AMann
I'm guessing that the source is likely to be far away and their signal just isn't strong down low, being affected by line of sight?
When there were US warnings of GPS jamming tests, they would give details about what altitudes would be affected and they had a similar pattern.
But I'm not sure if that was by design or just the physics of signal propgation.
well the thing about attitude is confusing because now fishermen are also complaining about gps spoofing when they are out sea so i dont think its related to atiitude anymore even though when it comes to drones the gps signal isnt lost at low attitude or so i think

well the thing about attitude is confusing because now fishermen are also complaining about gps spoofing when they are out sea so i dont think its related to atiitude anymore even though when it comes to drones the gps signal isnt lost at low attitude or so i think
I was commenting on several cases for which I've seen the flight data.
They showed the drone launching with good GPS, but satellite numbers falling off above approx 100 ft.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas