DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night flights over cities - Rules question

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
can somebody summarize the rules for flying over cities at night. I know I must have a light visible for 2 statute miles (?) but in terms of rules for flying over cars, roads, buildings...other considerations, I'd appreciate a summary. I have some controlled areas locally in my city I'd like to do some night flying. I can get permission for the class D areas and their isn't really much concern about aircraft but I want to be OK with other rules. The line of sight will be an interesting challenge to plan out as I will not be on an elevated hill.

Day or night, you must avoid flying over people and moving vehicles. In order to do this, you not only need to see your drone, you need to be able to see what is below your drone.

Generally, you should only fly in very close proximity to where you are. The further you fly, the less likely you are able to judge where your drone is in relation to the ground including people and cars. You also are less able to spot obstacles.

There are a lot of other considerations for flying in the city. And nighttime is even harder. It's generally not a good idea unless you fly with someone who has a lot of urban experience and can show you the ropes.

Reactions: johnmont250
can somebody summarize the rules for flying over cities at night. I know I must have a light visible for 2 statute miles
3SM.
(?) but in terms of rules for flying over cars, roads, buildings...other considerations, I'd appreciate a summary.
It's not illegal to fly over roads and buildings. It is illegal to fly over the people inside cars if they're are moving. But remember, "over" is exactly that, directly over.
I have some controlled areas locally in my city I'd like to do some night flying. I can get permission for the class D areas and their isn't really much concern about aircraft but I want to be OK with other rules.
If you're flying with a 107, you can fly at night in controlled airspace. If you're flying under recreational rules (44809), you are not allowed to fly at night in controlled airspace.
The line of sight will be an interesting challenge to plan out as I will not be on an elevated hill.
VLOS is the limiting factor here. As is the fact that cities are WiFi rich environments, and can cause interference between the drone and the controller. So make sure you have your RTH height set do it doesn't crash into any buildings. Or better yet, have RTH set to hover. Then if you lose signal, you simply walk towards the drone until you reestablish connectivity and then bring your drone down.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929