DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flying

If you fly as a hobbyist you can fly all night long, you can't fly at night when your part 107 please brush up on FAA rules before you post thank you... fly safe

Please post a copy of the rules or guidelines PDF or otherwise let's read a little.
Thanks

Reactions: dslater
As long as the Mavic is not being moved around you can capture remarkably sharp images at that shutter speed.
This image was ISO 100 and 2 sec shutter speed.
This is just a .jpg not even RAW.View attachment 12612

Excellent picture. Why not increase the ISO to reduce the time? Did you try?

FAA has global jurisdiction?

No certainly not, only for the US. You need to check in the country you want to fly.

Different for all the countries I checked so far. I found there is a free app in switzerland you can check on your position whats OK and what not. excellent and easy to use if you want to stay within what is legal.

I don't understand why some of you are citing part 107 as the all powerful law when the majority of flyers are flying recreationally. If you think recreational flyers cannot fly at night you are part of the problem because you clearly have not fully researched the topic before spewing false information.

I don't understand why some of you are citing part 107 as the all powerful law when the majority of flyers are flying recreationally. If you think recreational flyers cannot fly at night you are part of the problem because you clearly have not fully researched the topic before spewing false information.
Sorry might not have been clear. I meant FAA is only for the US.
Other countries have their own regulations. And it's not forbidden everywhere at all.

Reactions: lramdial
Sorry might not have been clear. I meant FAA is only for the US.
Other countries have their own regulations. And it's not forbidden everywhere at all.
My comment wasn't directed at one specific person in particular, just as a blanket statement about misinformation. In an already confusingly regulated hobby more misinformation is not helping anyone.

Great video and relatively no noise.. Hasn't been my experience.. Did you use any denoise software during editing.. Thanks

I did use software to denoise a portion of the video. Where I'm ascending up showing mostly just the lanterns was quite noisy so I had to do some tuning there. Slowed down the compilation of the video greatly but heck, that's just computing cycles anyhow.

OP

great photo!

it seems i cant get my mavic to hover steady at all, at night. the several times ive tried, i have made sure that i am in GPS mode, but still the craft just does pretty much whatever it wants to do, within reason. and yes, there was very little wind. could i be doing something wrong, or could my mavic have an issue?

thanks

The reason I used a 2 second exposure was to allow more light onto the sensor. A shorter exposure resulted in a very dark image with only the lights being prominent. The longer shutter allowed the ship itself to become more exposed.
I have found my Mavic to hover extremely still even in a decent breeze. So a 2 second shutter is okay. Reducing the shutter speed and increasing the ISO (particularly when a fair amount of the image is dark area) gave me more noise than I wanted. Plus I was also wanting to see if the I could capture some movement in the cranes on the ship.

Definitely go manual and RAW. I set the ISO @ 100 and go up to 400 while adjusting the shutter speed and correct the noise in Lightroom. I've gotten decent shots, but no where near the quality of my Phantom. I like to shoot night pics at dusk where there's still a little light. Also you can't have a wind. The first picture is from my Mavic. It's a little blurry. The second one Is IMG_6466.JPGfrom my Phantom. BTW: these aren't full resolution because of the hosting.
IMG_2230.JPG

Reactions: QuadFlyerPhilly
Night flying is prohibited by FAA regs.

First of all were mostly For Hobby Drone operators. Second all the FAA suggested safe flying guidelines were just that, suggestions. There are no laws for Drones beyond the registration law that just was slapped down. I believe.

Being safe and when to fly is and should be up to the operator to decide.

Reactions: Forrest
ad8728432def8e6557fd5b4536851767.jpg

It was harder then I thought to see the drone at night. ( I could not see it all, had to land by ear OO)
So added lights .

ad8728432def8e6557fd5b4536851767.jpg

It was harder then I thought to see the drone at night. ( I could not see it all, had to land by ear OO)
So added lights .
DO you know have a law in the US not to fly at night? Or not..I know in Canada its a huge fine..personally i love taking night shots

DO you know have a law in the US not to fly at night? Or not..I know in Canada its a huge fine..personally i love taking night shots

Sporte77 posted the following . Seems legit. ;)

That is not true in all cases:

1. IF you are flying under Part 107 - YES you need a waiver to fly at night commercially. Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS)
2. IF you are flying recreationally under community-based guidelines (AMA code... "8. RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times."). http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

So, if you aren't Part 107 - and have the appropriate lighting - you can fly at night. If there's something I'm missing - please correct me.

That is not true in all cases:

1. IF you are flying under Part 107 - YES you need a waiver to fly at night commercially. Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS)
2. IF you are flying recreationally under community-based guidelines (AMA code... "8. RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times."). http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

So, if you aren't Part 107 - and have the appropriate lighting - you can fly at night. If there's something I'm missing - please correct me.

You aren't missing anything.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard