DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flying

Trini_MP

Reactions
Good Pilots,

I am looking for the setting to fly my mavic pro at night. Any directions as to where i can find a detailed settings for this to be accomplished?

Good Pilots,

I am looking for the setting to fly my mavic pro at night. Any directions as to where i can find a detailed settings for this to be accomplished?
Are you referring to camera settings?

I do not know of any night flight settings (unless in a newer version of G0 4). You will need to set the camera to manual focus because auto focus has a hard time in low light.

Be aware that your obstacle avoidance sensors and precision landing will be inoperative and it will tend to drift a bit.

This was shot with a 5 second time exposure on a very calm night. No real settings to speak of, just shot in RAW with some adjustments in post.
7e5ff888dcc5d98d8004c166b3c10750.jpg

Reactions: WilliamG
Good Pilots,

I don't think there are any specific settings for night although, as others have posted, be aware that your sensors are not working so it is best to keep the drone within your line of sight. I took mine out for my second night spin on New Years Eve in Cancun. Here are a few photos. My first night was the night before where I took off in a fairly open beach area and went up about 30' (10 meters) and just spun around to see what I could see. I practiced taking some photos of the hotel lights. You can do night time droning but you just need to be a bit more careful. Good luck. (Photos may appear a bit grainy because I had to reduce size so they would upload to mavicpilots. Actual photos are better although not great.NewYears (2 of 4).jpg

Attachments

• NewYears 1-low.jpg
    NewYears 1-low.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
Good Pilots,

Same question here as the OP.
Presumably all works the same with eg setting home point? Does the home point need to be well lit or does the gps get it back ok for a manual landing?
Ide like to do an auto flight, eg a simple fully auto waypoint flight in daylight, then repeat it at night - would that work.
My main concern is, believe it or not, getting it back ok ; -)

Go to an open field, golf course, parking lot shortly before dusk and power up your drone. Practice all the things you want to know. Launch the drone from one place, have it follow you for 200 meters and then hit RTH and watch what happens. BE SURE to check your default settings before doing this. I didn't and was under a tree and my drone wanted to go up 30 meters with only 10 meters available. Luckily it survived but I learned a lesson. Practice what you want to do under similar circumstances before you want to fly. That is the best knowledge you can get: experience--safe experience.

Reactions: Bartosh and ICHOTT
This was shot with a 5 second time exposure on a very calm night. No real settings to speak of, just shot in RAW with some adjustments in post.
7e5ff888dcc5d98d8004c166b3c10750.jpg

This actually looks great considering how poor the Mavic sensor is in low light. Very well done, sir.

Same question here as the OP.
Presumably all works the same with eg setting home point? Does the home point need to be well lit or does the gps get it back ok for a manual landing?
Ide like to do an auto flight, eg a simple fully auto waypoint flight in daylight, then repeat it at night - would that work.
My main concern is, believe it or not, getting it back ok ; -)
The GPS related functions will work at night, all of the sensors that use light will not, so obstacle avoidance, VPS, etc will not be able to support you. RTH is not using visibility for landing, the precision landing feature uses video/photo of landing site to improve precision, but RTH on it's own will get it back, as long as the settings are appropriate for the flight home.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conny.malmen