DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flying

As you can see, SteveCA is our nighttime photographer, his photos, well.. they speak for themselves.

He gives me Inspiration on what can be achieved if you’re doing things right, that’s one reason why I fly mornings/evenings/nights to see if I can duplicate my photos to look similar to Steve’s. Not so much the city shots but the dusk/dawn shots, nowhere near his standards at the mo but I totally enjoy myself trying;)

The golden hour is wonderful for lighting and as it gets darker the contrast between the natural and the artificial light
I always find attractive.

The M2P is surprisingly good in low light and can produce some stunning photos. This is St Ives in Cornwall. I was actually 2 miles away taking this shot - no time to drive closer as the light was changing so rapidly. (Flight was entirely over water)IMG_0155.jpeg

93b0ee3942c7e47f4058fce19dd190f4.jpg

Why walk when you can fly?

San Antonio, TX.

Jeplane: Now THAT is another SPECTACULAR night shot! You guys keep coming up with masterpieces, I swear. Maybe one day I'll manage to pull one of those off. BTW, I'm in Corpus.

DJI CMH sunrise cosi.jpg

Columbus, OH

Although I am not against flying at night, I still think that sunset +25 minutes/ sunrise -25 minutes at our latitudes, is better, since it gives you more details in the sky, which you obviously do not get at night.

Last edited:
jeplane: Holy smoke ANOTHER GORGEOUS shot! You must have been uploading when I first responded.

I grew up outside Akron and have relatives in Columbus so I'm gonna share your image with them. Really, REALLY nice.

I really wish people would stop posting their cracking photos.... thought it was bad enough with Steve, now we’ve got another one.

How can I get around this...... yep that’s it, totally off topic... OP wanted to know about flying at night not taking photos :p:p

Only joking..... no seriouslyThumbswayup

Really nice photos @jeplane

View attachment 63421

Columbus, OH

Although I am not against flying at night, I still think that sunset +25 minutes/ sunrise -25 minutes at our latitudes, is better, since it gives you more details in the sky, which you obviously do not get at night.

gorgeous shot! I too like the sunset + 25 timing for shots with balanced lighting between the foreground and the sky. I can extend the window with gradient filters to sunset + 10 when the situation calls for it.

Reactions: Porky
I love flying at night, my main worry at this time of year is the amount of moisture in the air. I don't want to get my MP exposed to any kind of moisture. Might just be my OCD, but worries me

Will ya settle for cows.........IR pic. Please don't call me a liar as you can see there are wild hog run out of a oat field with a Mavic pro 2 zoom.Before sundown. But it is going to be fun with the Mavic 2 enterprise dual when I do......Ya should should of keep your mouth shut.
I don't know how it is in your state but here in Texas you could get in trouble potentially for harassing the wild animals even though it doesn't make a lot of sense for Hogs they tend to frown on that kind of thing, just saying, but Parks and Wildlife does apparently have a waiver you can apply for.

Forgot to say, it’s great when the landing light comes on as you’re taking off and landing, looks the nuts;)

Edit, make sure you are legal to fly at night, very importantThumbswayup

It's confusing about Night Flying. I've seen YouTube videos that night flying is not restricted for hobbyists (no waiver needed) but part 107 is (need waiver). Of course you must maintain VLOS but not difficult to do with the Cree strobes. Is this correct, I mean about the restrictions?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929