DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flying

It's confusing about Night Flying. I've seen YouTube videos that night flying is not restricted for hobbyists (no waiver needed) but part 107 is (need waiver). Of course you must maintain VLOS but not difficult to do with the Cree strobes. Is this correct, I mean about the restrictions?

At the mo it’s legal here in the uk. I always have VLOS while flying at dusk.

Reactions: bronze661

Beside the fact that it is completely another world to fly at night it is absolutely marvellous to go up when it is night at the ground and then finding the rest of the sunlight above the clouds as I show in this clip...

Last edited:
Reactions: bronze661 and Porky
Don’t forget that the strobes are for others to see you, like manned aircraft flying in the area, not only for you seeing your drone.

Reactions: bronze661
Are you using the app or free styling? Just asking. I’m near two airports, one military and they keep me down low. Silk pics bud

Are you using the app or free styling? Just asking. I’m near two airports, one military and they keep me down low. Silk pics bud
Thanks! I use the DJI Go app, but use pretty much all the manual modes from manual take-off/landings to manual camera settings.

Yeah I don’t know why those even exist. Seriously. Why am I not allowed to reach out and grab it? Without at least 3 motions, first. I know is old school but I miss the phantom 2 series app.[emoji1787]

Reactions: SoCalDude
In the US, I thought night flying by any hobbyist was illegal? I really want to try it out.

In the US, I thought night flying by any hobbyist was illegal? I really want to try it out.

There is nothing in Sec.349, 91-57B or the AMA Safety Code that prohibits this.

Have fun....but check out where you’ll be flying in the daytime to identify any hazards. There’s no “requirement” to have anti collision lights or nav lighting....but it’s a REALLY GOOD idea. The most basic scheme is Port - Red, Starboard - Green, Tail - White.

As long as you’re prepared, safe, conservative and confident in your skills, it can be fun to fly at night and get some pretty cool shots in urban areas. All the normal airspace and flying rules still apply at night.

Why don't you go to the FAA site and read the rules, then you will know. You should have read them when you registered your drone.

Why don't you go to the FAA site and read the rules, then you will know. You should have read them when you registered your drone.

Well thanks, and I have. Being there are posted rules in place for night flying in apps we use and more, I figured I would ask again to be clear (lots of misinformation, this web site is to help clear that! Exactly this!). I think that’s half the issue around here, keyboard hero’s that know it all! Folks, be comfortable on asking questions, don’t let others rude response stop you! Know it alls, get some tact, and help! Try not to be that hair across someone’s rear. Be humble!

A7D4BFAE5-A9D7-438C-A473-86DC9561DD05.png

Again, normally what I see is if 107 can not, then a rec flyer can not. You see, lots of misinformation can be had. Asking simply.... That should be welcomed. Heck, if I asked “hey does my drone need to be registered “ I could understand... But even then, kind response wins.

Again, normally what I see is if 107 can not, then a rec flyer can not. You see, lots of misinformation can be had. Asking simply.... That should be welcomed. Heck, if I asked “hey does my drone need to be registered “ I could understand... But even then, kind response wins.
brave minds here pretty much presume that if there is a rule that prohibits something for the car operator who has a driver license - like drive into the red light - then if you do NOT have a driver`s license - then red lights rule does not apply to you.
whatever, really. good luck arguing it to the judge in the court of law.

.....Again, normally what I see is if 107 can not, then a rec flyer can not.......

This is an incorrect assumption, but believe what you will.

Fact: There are different operating rule sets for commercial and recreational flight operations.

Your question is for recreational flight. Any 14 CFR Part 107 information does not apply.

Well thanks, and I have. Being there are posted rules in place for night flying in apps we use and more, I figured I would ask again to be clear (lots of misinformation, this web site is to help clear that! Exactly this!). I think that’s half the issue around here, keyboard hero’s that know it all! Folks, be comfortable on asking questions, don’t let others rude response stop you! Know it alls, get some tact, and help! Try not to be that hair across someone’s rear. Be humble!

Why would you trust someone here to give you a correct answer rather than going to the FAA website? I have seen this incorrectly stated too many times. Would you have blindly trusted me to answer that question for you?

Asking for an opinion is different than asking about a legal fact. I don't know how suggesting someone look at the information on the FAA site is rude. Giving a wrong response when uninformed Is much worse IMO. Sorry you were offended.

Here is my opinion: 107 pilots cannot fly commercial jobs at night without a Daylight Waiver. Hobby fliers have no such restriction.

.....Here is my opinion: 107 pilots cannot fly commercial jobs at night without a Daylight Waiver. Hobby fliers have no such restriction......

And this would be a correct opinion.

Reactions: parkgt
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61