DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Paint

alan860

Reactions
Hi.

Has anyone ever tried using something like a tritium paint for night flying? If so what can be recommended?

Thanks

painting the airframe is not a good idea apart from the prospect of damaging the plastic any paint with a metal content could impede the operation of the drones antennas and compass and GPS

painting the airframe is not a good idea apart from the prospect of damaging the plastic any paint with a metal content could impede the operation of the drones antennas and compass and GPS

Good call. I’d forgot about solvents eating the plastic, and any metallic effect on compass or reception.

Reactions: old man mavic
I'm not familiar with the rules in the UK, but in the US, you can't fly a SUAS at night, unless you have a SUAS certificate, a night waver, and obstruction lights that can be seen for 3 miles on your aircraft.

I'm not familiar with the rules in the UK, but in the US, you can't fly a SUAS at night, unless you have a SUAS certificate, a night waver, and obstruction lights that can be seen for 3 miles on your aircraft.

Ummmm that's not true for HOBBY operations. Hobby have much more relaxed "night" regulations at least for now.

It does not say you cannot. so, ergo, one can....
Now, if you do happen to have your 107, then you have to make sure you have delineated your separation as to a recreational flight, vs. a business flight....

Can you show me where it says that hobbyists (part 101) can fly at night? I found this article, although it is from 2018:

Flying Aerial Drones At Night Is NOT Permitted By The FAA | Fredericksburg Aerial Drone Photography

He says that it is a "stretch" to use part 101 for drones flying at night. - part 101 addresses Moored Balloons, Kites, Amateur Rockets, Unmanned Free Balloons, and certain model aircraft.

Jim,
Read rule 6 of the drone safety rules for Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations:

"Do not fly at night unless your drone has lighting that allows you to know its location and orientation at all times."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan