DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night time flying

Is it safe enough to fly drone during nights?
Depends on the pilot and area you are flying in, more than the aircraft itself. Just my two cents.

If you are flying high and avoiding branches and wires, you should be safe. I would know you area well and put a nice strobe on your craft to help maintain a better line of sight.

The camera doesn’t do as well At night as my P3A did. At 300 feet I could see ground lights with total clarity in the suburbs with my Phantom. My Mavic doesn’t pick up as much light.
I fly over football fields occasionally and get good footage

I once flew when it was almost dark and got a warning that the obstacle avoidance sensors wouldn't work in those conditions. Your own decision if you call flying without them "safe"...

Reactions: pinoydrone
My phantom & Inspire (old drones) didn’t have all the safety sensors we have now:( but if your safe & sensible you shouldn’t have a problemThumbswayup

Night flying is fine as long as you know the area you are flying in and you dont try anything stupid.

Attachments

• DDFA0008-1649-4B8F-A29B-05FCF25B68FF.jpeg
    DDFA0008-1649-4B8F-A29B-05FCF25B68FF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 115
In the UK the same laws apply at night that apply during the day. Its perfectly legal to operate a UAV at night.

Sensors don’t work at night, or not as good anyway.

Obstacles will be harder to see, so you will have to fly higher.

The risks are certainly higher. It is up to you to see if the rewards are even higher or not...

I’ve only flown at dusk & got some nice pics but never at night. One day I’ll give it a try. I would love to fly at night when there’s fireworks going off but only from a great distance from them;) bet you’ll get some great shotsThumbswayup

Safety depends on the area and your flying habits. If you fly safe during daylight then it should be safe to fly at night if you stay well above any obstacles. Keep in mind that it will be difficult to spot wires/branches, none of your OA sensors will work, and it would be more difficult to find an emergency landing and recovery spot if you needed to. You can strap on strobes that might make it easier to see at night than in daylight but that would also draw the attention of anti-drone types that think you are spying on them (even at 400 ft).

Make sure you get your night flight waiver from the FAA! :D
I am sure at least the 107 pilots have to have a waiver to fly after dark, because there is a waiver available.

I'm not sure what the "it" in post refers to. The question is whether you are safe enough to fly at night, and that's something you'll have to decide for yourself.

I'm not sure what the "it" in post refers to. The question is whether you are safe enough to fly at night, and that's something you'll have to decide for yourself.
Flying at night is illegal in the US. You can fly 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 min after sunset IF you have collision lights that are visible for three miles. The standard lights on drones do not meet this requirement. It is not about being “safe”. It is wether you decide to violate FAA regulations.Flying in at night outside these 2 periods is strictly forbidden.

Straight from the FAA, via Ken Heron:

In short, Part 107 requires a night waiver...while hobbyists CAN fly at night, it's NOT illegal.

Reactions: dawgpilot
As your first point on part 107, of course you can request a waiver for almost anything to make it legal. As to your second point, hobbyists flying at night, thanks for sharing the video, and I stand corrected. With that said, the rules do not make any sense and I would wager it will change in the future. I also would not risk a commercial license on Ken’s video if you had to explain to the FAA that you were was acting as a hobbyist and flying at night.

I once flew when it was almost dark and got a warning that the obstacle avoidance sensors wouldn't work in those conditions. Your own decision if you call flying without them "safe"...
I believe that is because the obstacle avoidance on a Mavic are optical sensors and they can’t “see” in the dark.

Remember, that video was done BEFORE the repeal of 336 through the new law. We now pretty much have to follow the 107 rules.

Reactions: ColinF
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000