DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night time flying

We now pretty much have to follow the 107 rules.
Per the Act, a person may still operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the FAA if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations:
  • The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.

• The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization’s set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the FAA.

• The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator.

• The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft.

• In Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport, the operator obtains prior authorization from the Administrator or designee before operating and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

• In Class G airspace, the aircraft is flown from the surface to not more than 400 feet above ground level and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

• The operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.

• The aircraft is registered and marked in accordance with chapter 441 of this title and proof of registration is made available to the Administrator or a designee of the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.
Unmanned aircraft operations that do not conform to the above limitations must comply with all statutes and regulations generally applicable to unmanned aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems.

Remember, that video was done BEFORE the repeal of 336 through the new law. We now pretty much have to follow the 107 rules.

The FAA put out a notice saying that until they draft new recreational rules, that recreational fliers should still fly as if 336 wasn't repealed.

Reactions: fegan
Reactions: dawgpilot

Thanks for sharing that link, I knew I had seen that info somewhere.

And to follow up after my post of Ken's video about the FAA's stance on night flying...nothing in this notice prohibits night flying by hobbyists, as was previously the case under 336, so it's still perfectly legal.

If it's safe can be taken a number of ways. Against the rules/regulations/guidelines...no. Higher likelihood of a crash...possibly. Need for additional lighting to maintain VLOS...very likely and highly recommended as most of the provided LEDs really aren't bright enough...you need to be able to see your aircraft as well as determine its orientation.

Personally, I have little if any need to fly at night. Is it safe...I would say that's entirely up to the pilot, their equipment and their abilities. If you're not part 107 certified, there's nothing currently prohibiting it. And if you are part 107, then you'll need a night waiver.

Fly safe!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys