DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night time question

dljordaneku

Reactions
Just passed my test and got my temporary certificate and already have had someone approach me about a possible job. They want some video of a certain location at different times of the day including night. I did a quick check tonight on the location and if I read this right, this means no night flying at all. Am I correct in thinking this?

Dj

Screenshot_20220406-211745_OpenSky.jpg

That would be my interpretation (no night flights) but if you post the location maybe someone familiar with that location would know if getting a waiver is possible.

Since you're 107, you can fly at night. You probably have the recreational tab open on the app you're using. Change that.

What app is that BTW?

both Part 107-licensed and recreational drone pilots can now fly their drones at night without having to apply for a waiver. However, drones flying at night need to be equipped with appropriate anti-collision lights that are visible up to a distance of three statute miles.

both Part 107-licensed and recreational drone pilots can now fly their drones at night without having to apply for a waiver. However, drones flying at night need to be equipped with appropriate anti-collision lights that are visible up to a distance of three statute miles.
Yeah. I know. Just wanted to make sure I could fly there before going back to them.

dj

A couple of points of clarification.

First one is that recreational flyers cannot fly at night in controlled airspace, where is where the OP was trying to fly. They obviously can in uncontrolled airspace.

Second is that, although it's a great idea for recreational operators flying under 44809 to have 3SM strobes, they are not currently required. All that they are required to have is lights that show the direction and altitude of the flight.

A couple of points of clarification.

First one is that recreational flyers cannot fly at night in controlled airspace, where is where the OP was trying to fly. They obviously can in uncontrolled airspace.

Second is that, although it's a great idea for recreational operators flying under 44809 to have 3SM strobes, they are not currently required. All that they are required to have is lights that show the direction and altitude of the flight.
👍

I wanted to come back to this real quick. When we talk about night, are we talking anytime at night or just the civil twilight times?

dj
Anything outside of daylight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman