DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night vision binoculars?

DanielCreed3

Reactions
Hello folks! I want to start doing some night flying especially with the holidays and Fall right around the corner. I bought a one light strobon cree as recommended by a fellow member of the forum. My question is: would it be advantageous to use night vision binoculars to locate the MM while the strobe is flashing? I would imagine so. Any recommendations? Nothing too pricey. Thanks!

Reactions: lowellton
Hello folks! I want to start doing some night flying especially with the holidays and Fall right around the corner. I bought a one light strobon cree as recommended by a fellow member of the forum. My question is: would it be advantageous to use night vision binoculars to locate the MM while the strobe is flashing? I would imagine so. Any recommendations? Nothing too pricey. Thanks!

Hmmm, interesting idea. I have a set of military NODs and have used them for stargazing. The whole sky of stars is illuminated with them (good for finding a lost cat, too). Perhaps I'll give it a try one of these nights.

1599485542032.png

Why can't you locate the drone by using the map or the orientation chart in the app ? I have flown may times at night and never had any problems in knowing where the drone was.

You cannot use any visual aids, outside of glasses in order to maintain VLOS on your drone.

You should try to keep the MM close enough to clearly see it without any external devices. That is per FAA regulations in the USA.

I'm new here and new to drones. In the USA I thought u can only fly 30 min sunrise and 30 min after? Is that true
Not totally correct. For Part 107 (commercial) licensed pilots on a Part 107 flight, civil twilight rules hold true unless a waiver is obtained from the FAA. However for recreational flights, there is not daytime flight rule. Therefore, the flight can be legal at night as long as it does not fall under part 107.

They are not image "magnifiers". They merely amplify the light to allow you to see what was previously invisible. Really no different than wearing eyeglasses.
The regulations say nothing about magnification. It just mentions maintaining VLOS with unaided sight. Binoculars are only one specific visual aid that are not allowed. Infrared devices would be another.

Not totally correct. For Part 107 (commercial) licensed pilots on a Part 107 flight, civil twilight rules hold true unless a waiver is obtained from the FAA. However for recreational flights, there is not daytime flight rule. Therefore, the flight can be legal at night as long as it does not fall under part 107.

I am not arguing with you but it really seems odd that I, just an ordinary drone owner, without a commercial 107 can fly at night or any time whereas someone who has passed a test is limited.

I am not arguing with you but it really seems odd that I, just an ordinary drone owner, without a commercial 107 can fly at night or any time whereas someone who has passed a test is limited.
You are totally correct that it does not make sense, but then again, when does the government ever make sense?

The regulations say nothing about magnification. It just mentions maintaining VLOS with unaided sight. Binoculars are only one specific visual aid that are not allowed. Infrared devices would be another.

Got it, I was wrong.

What about eyeglasses for those who are shortsighted? I ask in only the most innocent spirit of conversation, and not to be argumentative.

Got it, I was wrong.

What about eyeglasses for those who are shortsighted? I ask in only the most innocent spirit of conversation, and not to be argumentative.
An operator of a small UAS must always be capable of maintaining visual line of sight of the small unmanned aircraft they are piloting, unaided by any technology other than prescription glasses or contact lenses (note that this excludes sight-enhancing technologies such as binoculars or infrared goggles). This is called Visual Line of Sight operations (VLOS).

An operator of a small UAS must always be capable of maintaining visual line of sight of the small unmanned aircraft they are piloting, unaided by any technology other than prescription glasses or contact lenses (note that this excludes sight-enhancing technologies such as binoculars or infrared goggles). This is called Visual Line of Sight operations (VLOS).

Thanks - that makes it plain as day.

So this Cyborg below... where does he fall in this rule :)

1599508079359.png

Thanks - that makes it plain as day.

So this Cyborg below... where does he fall in this rule :)

View attachment 112601
I doubt the Borg would ever need to fly a drone. They would just assimilate the FAA, along with all of humanity.

Although in the not too distant future, one might need to wonder where ocular cybernetic implants would fall in the regulations. Since it becomes a functional part of the body, one would think that it would need to be allowed.

Put a strobe. It works ?⚽️?

I used night vision in the high Artic in the winter (24 hr darkness), one problem is that the non-flying pilot has to use them because it kills your night vision requiring considerable time to regain.

I have flown may times at night and never had any problems in knowing where the drone was.
Experience is the key, and you are going to find out real quick that being familiar with the area is super important. By the way...the Mavic Air 2 is super well lit even without strobes if you're not videoing

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR