DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nighttime Long Exposure Shots

nfarruggio

Reactions
Has anyone experimented with shooting nighttime long exposure shots with their drone to capture the stars/milky way? I have a Mavic 2 Zoom and want to try it out on a trip to Utah but was wondering what strength ND filter would be necessary if at all?

Thanks!

No ND filter needed because there are no city lights or other light pollution to deal with. You can pretend the added noise from a higher ISO setting are just more stars.

But to be serious, I don't think any Mavic is suitable for star shots. Not saying it can't be done, but a DSLR on a tripod would get better results.

Has anyone experimented with shooting nighttime long exposure shots with their drone to capture the stars/milky way? I have a Mavic 2 Zoom and want to try it out on a trip to Utah but was wondering what strength ND filter would be necessary if at all?

Thanks!
I have thought about this too, but I don't think it is practical for a number of reasons:
• the shutter can only stay open to a max of 8 seconds (most of my DSLR shots are 20 seconds or more)
• max gimbal tilt is +30º
• maintaining position to prevent blur would be difficult (wind, vibration from props, etc.)
• sensor size: astrophotography benefits from a full frame sensor
• lens: Although the Hasselblad lens might be good in daylight, star shots demand high quality glass way beyond what the M2P or M2Z has
• unless you are composing a shot that you can't get to on foot, I'm not sure it would be worth it.
• light pollution from the drone lights (front lights can be turned off but I don't think the back ones can)

That being said, it may be possible and it can't hurt to try. I don't have either Mavic 2 but have lots of experience taking astro shots with my DSLRs. I have taken some acceptable shots with my basic DSLR (Nikon D3300, 10-20mm lens, tripod) but my best shots have been with my Full Frame DSLR and good glass (Nikon D750, 14-24mm lens @f2.8, tripod).

Good luck! If you do try it post back with the results you got.

Chris

You could do a bunch of long exposures on the timer then stitch them together into one image?

...nighttime long exposure shots... wondering what strength ND filter would be necessary if at all?

No ND filter needed because there are no city lights or other light pollution to deal with ...

Your questions & answers make me suspect that you don't know why you use a tool called ND-filter on a camera.

ND filters isn't anything else then sun glasses for your lens. Like when you self use them they will let in less light, they will do nothing about light pollution.

You use ND filters for exact 3 different reasons no more ... 1 for stills, 1 for video & 1 equal for stills & video.

Stills:
*When you during daylight conditions want to have longer shutter speeds (seconds long usually require ND1000) ... to make flowing water buttery smooth for instance (create excessive motion blur).

Video:
*To follow the 180 degree rule ... meaning creating a natural/cinematic motion blur by using the double shutter speed to the chosen frame rate (25fps --> shutter 1/50sec). Over approx 30 meters height this rule regarding motion blur can be disregarded as the blur isn't pronounced anymore.

Stills & video:
*When the light is so strong that the shutter can't be any quicker ... bright sunlit snowy/desert landscape for example.

So taking stills on a motif with very little light will not benefit anything by cutting out even more light ... shooting night time long exposure for instance. Then you should avoid longer shutter speeds then 2 sec. with a drone for stills due to the risk of getting motion blur in the pic due the drone movement. Generally it isn't so easy to shoot stars by just lengthen the shutter speed as the earth rotates (stars will move) ... in 30 sec they have moved enough so you get streaks instead of star "points". This means that to succeed you usually need really high ISO values to keep the shutter shorter to avoid light streaks. Don't think that even the M2P with it's larger sensor will be enough clean from digital noise on those high ISO values to make it worthwhile.

You could in theory get a shot with visible stars in it, if you are in a place that has 0 light pollution.

I was at a remote uninhabited island near the Bahamas once and the stars to the naked eye were incredible. It was like being on another planet, or in a fantasy movie. The entire milky way was so bright and clear it was almost blinding.

Check out this app for dark spots near you.
Android:
iOS:
(Full disclosure: I am the maker of this app.)

What others have said though rings true. You really are much better off using a DSLR (or mirrorless) for star shots. You need a tripod and absolute steadiness, as well as a very high ISO. Long exposure instead of ISO is fine if you are going for "star trails". If you want "dotty" stars, you will need a camera that has very good ISO performance at 6400+, unless you are in a very dark area.

Reactions: AxelR
You could do a bunch of long exposures on the timer then stitch them together into one image?
Not sure what the advantage of actually flying if you want long exposure. Movement doesn’t seem to add anything. Why not just place your craft in some sort if perch and only fire up the camera? Or as mentioned, use a real camera?

Not sure what the advantage of actually flying if you want long exposure. Movement doesn’t seem to add anything. Why not just place your craft in some sort if perch and only fire up the camera? Or as mentioned, use a real camera?

I’m just suggesting a method to the original poster. It’s not something I’m interested in trying.

Reactions: allenface
I’m just suggesting a method to the original poster. It’s not something I’m interested in trying.
Sorry mate. Haven't had my first cup-o-jo this AM. The reply was for the original poster who clearly, while maybe a pilot, is NOT a photographer. I'm barely a pilot but have 50 years as a cinematographer. I'll be more mindful to whom I respond to in the future.

Reactions: Lastrexking
That's a fair point....

Utah's not going to be that much closer than your present position ..but I guess you know that...kidding of course..

ianfinnan,

Thanks for enjoying the image.
The lightning was miles away, no rain on me, and very calm wind. I had to give it a try. I was only about 100ft AGL (30ft above the trees), and I don't think I was being a hazard to aviation.

Todd,
I think I may be awarded the longest active comment award...
It's been so long, I MAY have been in Tripod mode, but I don't think it would have made much difference, the air was very calm, and the Mavic was very stable on it's own. No ND filters, absolutely! There wasn't a whole lot of light (except for the lightning bolts), so filtering out more light would not be any advantage.
~~Fly safe, fly often!

Heres one at about 20 ft agl Just kept taking pictures and got lucky

Attachments

• Lightning 8-16 455pm.JPG
    Lightning 8-16 455pm.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members