DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Sunset. The City. Slow Shutter Speed.

bwhip

Reactions
Last night I needed to go downtown for a church meeting. Shortly before the meeting, at sunset, I decided to experiment with shooting some long-exposure shots with an ND filter, to capture movement in the cars. Super impressed that the drone was able to stay so stable, as it was a bit windy. Here are a few examples:

DJI_0928-Enhanced-NR.jpg

DJI_0933-Enhanced-NR.jpg

DJI_0948-Enhanced-NR.jpg

DJI_0956-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Well done and I see also a rider. I ride a 2023 Kawasaki Z900 ABS.

Reactions: bwhip
Nice photos all, I particularly like the first one. There’s a great juxtaposition of the transitory nature of the cars against the enduring nature of the sun.

Reactions: mavictk and bwhip
Thanks! Here's one more with the sun, a bit more prominently.

DJI_0923-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Reactions: mavictk
What shutter speed did you end up with? What ND filter did you use?
I used the ND32 filter, as it was the darkest I had. I played with a bunch of different shutter speeds, and kept ISO and aperture on auto. ISO generally stayed at 100, and aperture was mostly about f/4 when the sky got darker. It was so nice to be able to preview the images while the drone was still in the air, then quickly make changes to get the amount of motion blur I wanted. I thought I'd need longer exposures, but when I tried that the car blurs were just way too long and indecipherable. The best ones all seemed to be around 0.5 second, with all of these between 0.4 and 1.0 second.

Reactions: SethB and mavictk
Awesome photos!

Another from last night, with a different view toward downtown Boise

46a.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics