DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No camera feed after swapping both gimbal cables

Brad2taylor

Reactions
Hey all, I need a little help. This troubleshooting has gone beyond the reach of anything I've found on a variety of forums.

A few weeks ago I wrecked my mavic, and broke the gimbal ribbon cable. At this point, the video feed worked fine but of course the gimbal was limp. I ordered the part and swapped it out. When putting it back together I smashed the multi-threaded cable for the camera. I had no video feed and also had an error. Something like "camera orientation sensor". I ordered the replacement cable and swapped it out last night. Now I have no errors, but I still have no feed (just a black screen where cam feed should be). I am fairly sure it is put together correctly, and suspect I shorted something out when I powered up the mavic while the multi-threaded cable was smashed between the frame and gimbal assembly.

I would appreciate any help I can get here.
Brad

If anyone knows where I can buy the board that sits on top of the gimbal assembly, please post a link! I really hope that I can avoid buying the entire gimbal assembly!

If you figure it out make sure to update - wish I could help - seems inevitable this will be an issue for many of us as it is so fragile

Reactions: Brad2taylor
Hey all, I need a little help. This troubleshooting has gone beyond the reach of anything I've found on a variety of forums.

A few weeks ago I wrecked my mavic, and broke the gimbal ribbon cable. At this point, the video feed worked fine but of course the gimbal was limp. I ordered the part and swapped it out. When putting it back together I smashed the multi-threaded cable for the camera. I had no video feed and also had an error. Something like "camera orientation sensor". I ordered the replacement cable and swapped it out last night. Now I have no errors, but I still have no feed (just a black screen where cam feed should be). I am fairly sure it is put together correctly, and suspect I shorted something out when I powered up the mavic while the multi-threaded cable was smashed between the frame and gimbal assembly.

I would appreciate any help I can get here.
Brad

"Thunderdrones" can hook you up. He's listed as a notable member,.

I am still looking for suggestions on how to troubleshoot the different parts of the gimbal assembly. I believe if I damaged a few threads of the threaded video cable, I would see at least a partial feed. Does anyone know if this is true? This is why I believe that I either shorted out of the bored in the camera, or the board that sits on top of the gimbal assembly. Does anyone know if I can rule out the board on top of the gimbal assembly if I am still able to control my gimbal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Don't worry about the boards for now. They are tough, and there is every indication that they are good because they worked before swapping the cables.

Jiggle the wires and see if you can get an intermittent video image. After that, the first thing I would do is ohm out the cables. Make sure the wires connect to one and only one point at the other end of the cable. If you can see the colors of the wires so much the better. If you do not have an ohm meter get one. It will serve you well for years. Radio Shack is having a massive sale.

Don't worry about the boards for now. They are tough, and there is every indication that they are good because they worked before swapping the cables.

Jiggle the wires and see if you can get an intermittent video image. After that, the first thing I would do is ohm out the cables. Make sure the wires connect to one and only one point at the other end of the cable. If you can see the colors of the wires so much the better. If you do not have an ohm meter get one. It will serve you well for years. Radio Shack is having a massive sale.

Thank you for your reply! I hope you're right about those boards! I will test those cables and post the results here.

Reactions: geigy

Wow! If you can ohm out the camera or ribbon cables on a Mavic, you have much steadier hands and/or better equipment than I do. The contacts on those cable connectors are TINY! Even when I can get probes small enough to touch a single contact, I can't hold them steady enough to contact both ends of the cable at the same time. I'd like to get some of the female connectors to mount on a hobby board so I could run wires out to individual contacts, but I haven't found the right parts.

I am still looking for suggestions on how to troubleshoot the different parts of the gimbal assembly. I believe if I damaged a few threads of the threaded video cable, I would see at least a partial feed. Does anyone know if this is true? This is why I believe that I either shorted out of the bored in the camera, or the board that sits on top of the gimbal assembly. Does anyone know if I can rule out the board on top of the gimbal assembly if I am still able to control my gimbal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Any response to this? I notice a single wire broken when replacing my gimble cable. Will this affect the whole camera, resulting into why I am
Not getting a feed? @Thunderdrones @JeepDSL

Attachments

• 1C96E008-4390-4C65-BF57-F0B0BDC8C31F.jpeg
    1C96E008-4390-4C65-BF57-F0B0BDC8C31F.jpeg
    730.5 KB · Views: 21
Wow! If you can ohm out the camera or ribbon cables on a Mavic, you have much steadier hands and/or better equipment than I do. The contacts on those cable connectors are TINY! Even when I can get probes small enough to touch a single contact, I can't hold them steady enough to contact both ends of the cable at the same time. I'd like to get some of the female connectors to mount on a hobby board so I could run wires out to individual contacts, but I haven't found the right parts.

take a small needle and tape it to the meter leads, just make sure needle is touching the meter lead! otherwise you will get a false reading use ohm function to test meter leads :) needles work great for getting inside small plugs too :) of course don't poke the needle to hard on cables you don't want to damage a cable

Are you sure you peeled the sticky tape off the first connector on the ribbon cable (if present)?

Any answer for this? I replaced both gimble cable and video feed cable, still no video feed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vamocognito