DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No-Drone Sign or Airmap - what to believe?

Yaros

Reactions
Hello!
Recently I went for a walk in a natural area near the beach and found a no-drone sign near the beach.
I didn't have the drone on me anyway but decided to check Airmap just for curiosity and it indicated that I could fly!
That sign was placed by the government (seen by their contact info in it) so I guess it's real no-fly zone.

Can't I really fly there? What if I fly there away from the sign and if someone approaches I just say that I didn't saw the sign, and besides, airmap shows that the airspace is clear!
Or, can I take off the drone from the zone before the sign and fly it over the affected area?

Note: I'm in Mallorca, Spain

Last edited:
Probably just a local land authority (city, council etc) banning take off and landing, basically making operation of a drone from 'their' land something you can't do.

I can understand it in some places, busy parks, quiet parks where people go to relax (botanical gardens etc), but a beach ?
Especially if you are flying at the best hours just before and during sunrise / sunset.

Odd to hear it's happening in places like Spain, very common in Australia, the UK, the US.
Maybe you can ask the local city management about it, and if it applies in other parks in their authorised area.

...Can't I really fly there?
...I just say that I didn't say the sign, and besides
...airmap shows that the airspace is clear!
You need to keep 3 thing's in mind ... always.

-It's always 100% up to you to know if you can fly or not.

-You can never claim you didn't know & think that will get you off the hook by claiming that.

-Airmap is a commercial service not authority connected, their info may or may not be accurate.

In this sense it's easy to draw parallels to speed limits in the traffic ... let's say you have a GPS app in your phone with some outdated speed limit info ... it says it's a limit of 100km/h. The sign besides the road says instead 80km/h.

You chose to go with the 100km/h the app shows ... & you get stopped by the police & you claim you didn't know the limit, or claim that the app said 100km/h. Do you think they will let you off without a speeding ticket?

Last edited:
You need to keep 3 thing's in mind ... always.

-It's always 100% up to you to know if you can fly or not.

-You can never claim you didn't know & think that will get you off the hook by claiming that.

-Airmap is a commercial service not authority connected, their info may or may not be accurate.

In this sense it's easy to draw parallels to speed limits in the traffic ... let's say you have a GPS app in your phone with some outdated speed limit info ... it says it's a limit of 100km/h. The sign besides the road says instead 80km/h.

You chose to go with the 100km/h the app shows ... & you get stopped by the police & you claim you didn't know the limit, or claim that the app said 100km/h. Do you think they will let you off without a speeding ticket?
Okay fine, but the question still remains.
Imagine I walk around that area and decide to fly the drone before walking by the sign, and then launch it without seeing the sign and fly over the area with the sign, would I have any problems?
Because it is very possible, especially in areas like forests and other not good very visible areas.

Okay fine, but the question still remains.
Imagine I walk around that area and decide to fly the drone before walking by the sign, and then launch it without seeing the sign and fly over the area with the sign, would I have any problems?
Because it is very possible, especially in areas like forests and other not good very visible areas.
The 3 points still applies ... it's your responsibility to know ... & in worst case you will not get free by claiming you didn't know.

If you can't find 100% conclusive facts ... you can always decide not to fly to be on the safe side.

Reactions: Afghanpilot
If it has the government contact on it, give them a call and ask.

Reactions: B52-D
if you don't fly there are you really missing anything you wouldn't get at any other beach?

I don't know if you are anywhere near the areas below. I pulled up Airmap for Mallorca and found these.

On the Northeast side of the island, there is a big Yellow circle that is marked Aerial Hazard: Missile, gun or rocket firing (NOTAM LECB D1378). On the southwest side of the island, there ia blue area near Palma that is labeled P143 (CALA MAYOR) - Don't know that that means, but it's there. PLUS near Palma there are 2 Airports (Son Bonet & Palma de Mallorca)

Reactions: Yaros
The usual solution to this is to take off outside the restricted area to get into the airspace governed by the FAA (in the US), where it governs your flight. You will need to fly back to your launch point outside the restricted area to land.

Reactions: Yaros
I don't know if you are anywhere near the areas below. I pulled up Airmap for Mallorca and found these.

On the Northeast side of the island, there is a big Yellow circle that is marked Aerial Hazard: Missile, gun or rocket firing (NOTAM LECB D1378). On the southwest side of the island, there ia blue area near Palma that is labeled P143 (CALA MAYOR) - Don't know that that means, but it's there. PLUS near Palma there are 2 Airports (Son Bonet & Palma de Mallorca)
Yes, I know these. In the north there are some SAR exercises taking place, that's why there is a NOTAM. I'm aware of the airports and the Cala Mayor there is some castles that you can't fly over.

But the area I found the sign on is not labeled in airmap.

if you don't fly there are you really missing anything you wouldn't get at any other beach?

No, as I said in my original message, I didn't even want to fly there, it is just to know what's the rule about it if I find these in the future in a place I want to fly.

As mentioned, research the area before flying. Airmap and other similar maps might not reflect areas where you can't launch or land at. I don't have a clue about other countries flight restriction policies other than the US but I'd guess the area you are talking about would be no different than trying to fly from private property which also isn't reflected by an app. I'd call whoever is in charge of the property and ask. In the US, government ran areas almost always have a set of rules to abide by such as no fishing from bridge, no fires, no off road vehicles, no hunting and many more including the possibility of a no drones allowed policy. Airmap or even DJI's Geo-fencing won't reflect if it's 100% OK to launch or land at a specific place.

The onus on the drone owner for anything other than authorised airspace flight simply seems too authoritarian, and if a parkland authority (for example) didn't want / allow drones or other model aircraft operating from its land, they should post a bylaw sign to advise people.

Do drone operators really take time to check with every land authority before flight ?
Call someone if you can navigate the bureaucratic maze to the right person, check their website (again a maze) for bylaws ?
I'd find that very hard to believe if spontaneously spotting a nice place to fly.

Of course check the various airspace maps before flights to double check ok to fly, restrictions etc.

I can certainly understand some of the paranoia land authorities may hold, and I do respect if they want to ban something they have the right to for whatever logical reason(s) they feel (privacy, peacefulness, animal sanctuaries, etc).
But only what's in their authority, if someone wants to fly over legally taking off and landing (operating) from outside the park, then they can't really bother you if flying by all the sensible regular drone rules, and equally respect for other visitors in the vicinity.

Arm yourself with the airspace regulations for the area, be prepared to one day having someone challenge you.
Be equally prepared to apologise if you are impeding on someones land authority to operate and land / leave the area.
Mostly, (local city type) park rangers are fairly understanding with something like this, you could be saying the same thing about model cars, or having a BBQ in a park (open flame), or a childs birthday party, many of these are banned without a permit.

Usually (in my area in California) you can find some kind of rules sign in a park but finding it is another issue. I just realize that many parks (city, county, state or federal) have rules and one might be a drone regulation regarding operating from inside their boundaries. So, if I plan to fly from that location, I check. Launching and landing outside park boundary and flying over a drone regulated park is another issue. Personally I don't risk it in case something goes wrong and have to land within their regulated grounds. Around here there are too many different spots to fly at where I don't have to worry about launching or landing that warrants a visit from LE or a ranger.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica