DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Height restriction

It's never nitpicking to correct mistakes in common terminology. Especially terms that are so common and time-worn to essentially be indistinguishable from "official".

One could even make the case that since the FAA uses AGL all over the place in the regs and defines it in a glossary, it is arguably official.

We gotta all speak the same jargon.
Agreed, I should have said "Sorry if that seems like I am nitpicking." :)

And your belief that that is what gets SpaceX permission screams politics and hatred of Elon Musk.

Me? I don't give a rat's a** about Elon Musk, but I'm not so naive and foolish to think some sort of Billionaire Boogie gets SpaceX clearances.

Hint: NASA gets the same clearances. Why do they?
Still barking up the wrong tree - I'm actually a SpaceX fan. When those boosters landed near simultaneously that was some sci fi stuff of my childhood come to life!

@Xitor, if that wasn't you who wrote posts 83 and 85, but someone that hijacked your keyboard, I apologize.

If it was you, dancing the Billionaire Boogie, that possum's right up there in the tree I'm barking at.

Unless you are a billionaire and you want to launch rockets. Then someone will find a way to grant you that space.
I want to be a billionaire... but I have no interest in launching rockets. :)

Musk and Bezos aren't just getting permission to launch rockets simply because they get a kick out of it (although they most likely do). They're actually taking part of the financial load of space Innovation and Exploration off of NASA - because NASA, like most other legitimate, useful government agencies these days are severely underfunded... most likely because legislators politicians and bureaucrats are WASTING money on things other than space exploration and other legitimate useful social improvement fundamentals.

They get 'permission' to launch rockets because they are working with NASA and performing a useful and innovative service to the United States

Last edited:
AND they're billionaires, greasing palms ya know? 🤣🤣

They're actually taking part of the financial load of space Innovation and Exploration off of NASA
[...]
They get 'permission' to launch rockets because they are working with NASA and performing a useful and innovative service to the United States

Well, actually to the entire world's population.

If the OP wanted to start a launch facility to help with putting things in orbit, he might have a real chance.

He'd have to be cost competitive with SpaceX and that other one from Bezos that isn't gonna make it 😁

Reactions: umanbean
Wow, impressive facility. I guess raw materials go in one end, make the loop, and out the other end comes a space rocket that looks like a... ummm.... well... you know. 😇

• Haha
Reactions: Torque
Wow, impressive facility. I guess raw materials go in one end, make the loop, and out the other end comes a space rocket that looks like a... ummm.... well... you know. 😇
The slowest part of the process is bending and then re-straightening the rocket as it goes around those curves during assembly.

As a private land owner you can’t wave your hand and say sky’s the limit. The limit is 400’ AGL or 400’ above the high point of a structure that is within a 400’ radius.

This last part you might find interesting. You could, for instance, erect towers every 800’, the vertical height of which can be as much as 2000’…

This would allow drones to fly up to 2400’. As a bonus, the towers could have elevated platforms to launch from, and openings to fly through, maybe tunnel like obstacle courses, like a giant drone jungle gym.

In fact, that could be the name: DroneJungle™ …

One of the towers could include hotel rooms, restaurants… it would become the world’s premier drone destination!

Contact me if you need a general partner, LOL…

😎

As a private land owner you can’t wave your hand and say sky’s the limit. The limit is 400’ AGL or 400’ above the high point of a structure that is within a 400’ radius.

This last part you might find interesting. You could, for instance, erect towers every 800’, the vertical height of which can be as much as 2000’…

This would allow drones to fly up to 2400’. As a bonus, the towers could have elevated platforms to launch from, and openings to fly through, maybe tunnel like obstacle courses, like a giant drone jungle gym.

In fact, that could be the name: DroneJungle™ …

One of the towers could include hotel rooms, restaurants… it would become the world’s premier drone destination!

Contact me if you need a general partner, LOL…

😎
Adding 400' to a structure is for Part 107 pilots only. Recreational flights are not allowed.

First let Me say, I am Not a drone pilot. I Own 7 3/4 acres of Desert land. It is basically surrounded By Federal lands, outside of Palm Springs. If a Person were to Open a Drone Port with No Height limit would that be something of interest to Drone Pilots as a Vacation Destination? Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin
I thought maybe Having some sort of Yearly height competition or Red Bull sponsored event.
I'm Just wondering if it's a Viable Idea or if there would even be any interest at all.
any input would be awesome. Thanks for Reading.
I don't think a property owner has any say or control over the airspace above their property. I don't believe you could specify a no height restriction.

Last edited:
I don't think a property owner has any say or control over the airspace above their property. I don't believe you could specify a no height restriction.

As I'm finding looking in to this lately, it's not as clear-cut as is often stated around here.

Sure, the FAA says they control everything above the ground, but they're not God. State and local authorities say otherwise, all over the country.

So, regardless of what the FAA says, you may find yourself cited for a local ordinance violation, the FARs sure look like a defense, and you lose in court anyway, cause local officials are just as wont to flex their power as the Feds.

So, what is and is not legal in terms of where, how, and how high you can fly your drone? There's the FARs, and then there's the real world. The latter may wind up punishing you for something that, legally pursued, may ultimately exonerate you, but isn't worth it, so you just pay the $100 fine and obey the local rule.

In the real world the question of, "what is legal" isn't as simple as pointing to rules from one authority and declaring them Supreme when there are other, conflicting authorities.

As I'm finding looking in to this lately, it's not as clear-cut as is often stated around here.

Sure, the FAA says they control everything above the ground, but they're not God. State and local authorities say otherwise, all over the country.

So, regardless of what the FAA says, you may find yourself cited for a local ordinance violation, the FARs sure look like a defense, and you lose in court anyway, cause local officials are just as wont to flex their power as the Feds.

So, what is and is not legal in terms of where, how, and how high you can fly your drone? There's the FARs, and then there's the real world. The latter may wind up punishing you for something that, legally pursued, may ultimately exonerate you, but isn't worth it, so you just pay the $100 fine and obey the local rule.

In the real world the question of, "what is legal" isn't as simple as pointing to rules from one authority and declaring them Supreme when there are other, conflicting authorities.
The FAA has said they have exclusive jurisdiction but even they admit they don't have supreme and exclusive jurisdiction over everything which as always, opens the door to interpretation and allows others to infringe on FAA "sovereignty" so to speak. And the state will be the first ones to claim they can "share" this responsibility because the FAA laws on this subject are weak.

I'm all for the FAA taking control and laying down the law but they need to do a better job in this area instead of giving signs that they intend to let state and local authorities have some skin in the game. The FAA will be taken advantage of.

When a state passes a law which says "You must obey the FAA laws" they are basically saying if you don't, then we (the state) can prosecute you for not obeying [the law] which leads to so many more issues.

It's never nitpicking to correct mistakes in common terminology. Especially terms that are so common and time-worn to essentially be indistinguishable from "official".
Especially if improper use of jargon leads someone to erroneously believe that the DJI Fly app really does show actual altitude above ground level and then flies into the side of a mountain because of it.

Best to nip these kinds of things in the bud, IMHO.

Especially if improper use of jargon leads someone to erroneously believe that the DJI Fly app really does show actual altitude above ground level and then flies into the side of a mountain because of it.

Best to nip these kinds of things in the bud, IMHO.
If someone flies into the side of the mountain over confusion regarding AGL, they shouldn't be flying a drone.

Reactions: umanbean and Moozer
Unless you are a billionaire and you want to launch rockets. Then someone will find a way to grant you that space.
Then it becomes restricted airspace for flight operations or special operations. Or as you suggest: Torrey Pines Glider Port, flying hang gliders and Paragliders, there is a "no fly" restriction along the cliffs south of the glider port, specifically one mansion. If you over fly it, they can use deadly force. Don't know who lives there but they must know someone! Exceptions to every rule.

Reactions: Xitor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_