DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Height restriction

ztuz67

Reactions
First let Me say, I am Not a drone pilot. I Own 7 3/4 acres of Desert land. It is basically surrounded By Federal lands, outside of Palm Springs. If a Person were to Open a Drone Port with No Height limit would that be something of interest to Drone Pilots as a Vacation Destination?
I thought maybe Having some sort of Yearly height competition or Red Bull sponsored event.
I'm Just wondering if it's a Viable Idea or if there would even be any interest at all.
any input would be awesome. Thanks for Reading.

Reactions: Neko 506 and Hermey
I'm no expert on FAA rules and regs but I don't think a property owner has any say or control over the airspace above their property. I don't believe you could specify a no height restriction. I believe the FAA has control over that.

Of course we would be interested. But you know this already, you would have to get everything sanctioned which would mean lots of planning and approval from the FAA to open up the heavenly skies above. None of our drones can reach 30k feet so it should not be a problem setting up a TFR for a day. I'm assuming these federal lands next to you are open for drones since we cannot keep everyone within 7 acres. I don't speak for all drone pilots but we are mostly interested in the ability to fly freely without a bunch of restrictions, etc...you get the point. Let us know what you come up with!

BTW, I'm not sure many of us are totally enamored with height, probably more so with distance. ;)

Reactions: kalimah and Cafguy
Drones have a 400ft AGL legal ceiling via Federal Aviation Regulations. This ceiling's purpose is to maintain safety separation from manned aircraft that have a regulatory 500ft AGL floor for ordinary operation.

While waivers can be obtained for specific purposes, I doubt such an uncontrolled altitude mission could ever get approval.

Also, DJI drones have a built-in hard limit of 500m/1640ft over takeoff location, and most drones that show up to your contest would likely be DJI, given their dominance of the industry.

Last edited:
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

As mentioned, because
of the current FAA rules your AGL cap is 400' (in Class G airspace 400' over the highest obstacle if you have Part 107)

Reactions: bitsbytes
First let Me say, I am Not a drone pilot. I Own 7 3/4 acres of Desert land. It is basically surrounded By Federal lands, outside of Palm Springs. If a Person were to Open a Drone Port with No Height limit would that be something of interest to Drone Pilots as a Vacation Destination?
I thought maybe Having some sort of Yearly height competition or Red Bull sponsored event.
I'm Just wondering if it's a Viable Idea or if there would even be any interest at all.
Umm most DJI drones are limited to 500m, 1640ft above the take off point, that ceiling is built into their firmware.
I suspect the attractiveness of your idea and its flights would depend greatly on the scenery. I think that the thrill of looking around at 500m would quickly diminish if there is no scenery to be seen.
I can but wonder what your insurance costs and possibly legal fees would be, and as a consequence what your charges would have to be to at least break even.

Last edited:
Reactions: DashSolo and Torque
I believe if I can show a specific use My Grandfather's Patent from 1961 does give Me the ability, since technically I own from the center of the earth to infinite of space. I believe I could get a 5 mile no fly zone awarded.

I believe if I can show a specific use My Grandfather's Patent from 1961 does give Me the ability, since technically I own from the center of the earth to infinite of space. I believe I could get a 5 mile no fly zone awarded.
And Fred the Sovereign citizen doesn't need a license to "travel" on the roads BUT keep us posted?l

I'm thinking that you might be able to obtain a TFR for such an event and the only way to see if you could make it happen would be to try. They get them for air shows all the time where they perform stunts that would otherwise be against the regulations. I believe that there are a number of individuals who have made their own drones, which would not have built in ceiling limits. My uncle and a friend are two such people. My uncle walked the straight and narrow but my friend is a regular outlaw. Whether or not such an event would be successful is a horse of a different color and I have no idea. Higher heights is not an ambition of mine though but I find your idea interesting.

And what is your grandfather's patent that would of use here?

But seriously To have any chance of having a Drone Park or any such park with Remotely Controlled Vehicles such as these would require the approval of the A.M.A. ( American Modelers association) AND, I believe to use such park a person MUST be a member of the A.M.A.-- State Law.!! ( thanks for that one Ron.)

I agree with the mirth, and that was my first reaction, but maybe we should educate rather than denigrate? Sounds like he has a pretty common misunderstanding about property rights.

After all, we marinate in FARs. We're a tiny fraction of the general public, the rest of whom think FAR means something a great distance away 😁

Reactions: umanbean
I agree with the mirth, and that was my first reaction, but maybe we should educate rather than denigrate? Sounds like he has a pretty common misunderstanding about property rights.

After all, we marinate in FARs. We're a tiny fraction of the general public, the rest of whom think FAR means something a great distance away 😁
I gave him a video of someone going thru the exact same scenario as a place to start. BUT I suppose the one comment may have been a bit harsh. BUT "core to space" I couldn't resist- sorry

Reactions: rjwmorrell
But seriously To have any chance of having a Drone Park or any such park with Remotely Controlled Vehicles such as these would require the approval of the A.M.A. ( American Modelers association) AND, I believe to use such park a person MUST be a member of the A.M.A.-- State Law.!! ( thanks for that one Ron.)
Could you point to the law? This seems to violate the 4th Amendment of the US Constitution.

For example, the city can't require you to join the Sierra Club to use a park for a pickup touch football game with your friends. Every Saturday. Whatever park has an open field.

Looking for the law that requires organized RC events to have any involvement of the A.M.A. at all. Again this would seem to be a prima facia violation of the 4th Amendment right to free association.

Last edited:
I gave him a video of someone going thru the exact same scenario as a place to start. BUT I suppose the one comment may have been a bit harsh. BUT "core to space" I couldn't resist- sorry
No apology necessary, all's good 👍

My first reaction was to make some wisecrack. It just struck me before I did that I might be beating up the ignorant for being ignorant – about something with widespread ignorance. 🙂

Reactions: Cafguy
Someone should have told them the federal speed limit on the national highway is 55 and he should forget about it:

• Sad
Reactions: mobilehomer
When I fly my RC airplanes I must do so at an AMA designated Flying field. I cannot tell you as to what Law that actually is but in most places in the U.S. to Fly you will need to find one NOW all of these fields Must be AMA approved and you Must be an AMA member to fly there. Right now here in Bakersfield my FPV friends and I go to the AMA field so as not to be bothered.

Reactions: tls3601 and Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1