DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Height restriction

First let Me say, I am Not a drone pilot. I Own 7 3/4 acres of Desert land. It is basically surrounded By Federal lands, outside of Palm Springs. If a Person were to Open a Drone Port with No Height limit would that be something of interest to Drone Pilots as a Vacation Destination?
I thought maybe Having some sort of Yearly height competition or Red Bull sponsored event.
I'm Just wondering if it's a Viable Idea or if there would even be any interest at all.
any input would be awesome. Thanks for Reading.
Here is a link to a free video, you can learn about the requirements for Drones. Your question on unlimited height shows you need this information if you are considering a drone space.

Guys... the OP hasn't been back to this site since his 2nd post, #8 on the first page, at 3:41 p.m. yesterday. I'm guessing the first six responses convinced him his idea wasn't feasible or even possible. Maybe he'll find some other good use for his desert acreage?

Now if you gather a bunch of people together flying in a park I would think the F.A.A. would want them to use the AMA guidelines just like they do at the flying field.

I have the constitutional right to organize a flying day at a city park and, as long as I follow local rules at the park, the FAA has no additional say over what we do than the rules for airspace already in place.

Nor can the FAA or local authorities violate my 4th Amendment rights and require me to join a private organization, to use a facility open to the public for general, non-specific use.

Your situation in Bakersfield is difficult because of local rules where they have the legal right to control access to the ground. Yet their jurisdiction is limited to city limits, and arguably public property. Ordinances that prohibit taking off on private property are legally questionable, and certainly local laws controlling airspace are invalid.

Have you tried making friends with a farmer or rancher that might be willing to let you take off and land from their property? There have got to be some large, 100s or 1000s acre ranches around there that are grazing cattle, and if you show yourself to be a responsible pilot, allow you use their property to fly.

Just an idea... want to help. 🙂

RC Park Fliers (models 2lbs or less and max airspeed of 60 MPH): these models will be able to fly in a small area, about 300' x 150', roughly the size of a soccer field. RC Drone racing: these aircraft need a slightly wider field than the RC Park Fliers, about 300' x 300' to accommodate the racecourse. Larger gasoline powered Models require still more,- and Jets even more. Building your own flying field becomes a paperwork nightmare for anyone, even if you live in the middle of the desert the FAA will make you wag your tail and jump thru hoops, and while they can't tell you you can't fly there (within regulations of course ) They do have Public safety Guidelines you must follow in order to build such an Airfield ( remember the spectators). It is unlawful to Build your own little flying field for Nitro and Gas powered aircraft. and even heavy Electrics without Following Specific Regulations: The FAA has entrusted this to the A.M.A. So any type of flying field such as this MUST follow AMA Guidelines. I would love for this to change because my flying field is a 2 hr drive back and forth and I drive thru A LOT of empty country to get there. We have a few around Bakersfield and two in Tahachapi. but its still a drive. My small little whoops and my park flyers I fly across the street at the golf course. (member) I even told them that was one of the reasons I was joining ) no problems there.
My beloved Smoothie xl weighs in at 15.5 lbs. so it's out to the country for it.
For awhile we had a farmer that would let us fly on his land but his Insurance Company put a stop to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Stay on topic folks.

Off-topic posts have been deleted. Additional off-topic posts will cause this thread to be closed.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Could you point to the law? This seems to violate the 4th Amendment of the US Constitution.

For example, the city can't require you to join the Sierra Club to use a park for a pickup touch football game with your friends. Every Saturday. Whatever park has an open field.

Looking for the law that requires organized RC events to have any involvement of the A.M.A. at all. Again this would seem to be a prima facia violation of the 4th Amendment right to free association.
Wrong amendment-
4th amendment-
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things ...

And what is your grandfather's patent that would of use here?
It would be His Land Patent. From 1961.
There is a golf course in northern California that has a permanent restriction over Their Golf course.
And No I'm Not a Sovereign citizen.
My question for this forum wasn't whether it was legal to do, the question was I
If the community would utilize such a location.
Let Me worry about the process. I was just wondering if it would be worth the fight that the FAA would put up

There is a golf course in northern California that has a permanent restriction over Their Golf course.
I’d love to see that TFR link. They can say “No drones”, but that doesn’t make it true.
My question for this forum wasn't whether it was legal to do, the question was I
Let Me worry about the process. I was just wondering if it would be worth the fight that the FAA would put up
You can try, but since I work closely with the FAA on matters like this, I can promise you you’d never get it.

Wrong amendment-
4th amendment-
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things ...
Correct, thanks for catching that.

It's the constitutional right to Freedom of Association I'm referring to. It is an implied right of the First Amendment that the SCOTUS has recognized and affirmed since 1959, Starting with NAACP v. Alabama.

When I fly my RC airplanes I must do so at an AMA designated Flying field. I cannot tell you as to what Law that actually is but in most places in the U.S. to Fly you will need to find one NOW all of these fields Must be AMA approved and you Must be an AMA member to fly there. Right now here in Bakersfield my FPV friends and I go to the AMA field so as not to be bothered.any pla
I think your wrong, I can fly my RC Airplane any place its safe to do so,You don't need an AMA field to fly

I am Sorry for the Comment and you are right for taking offense But Did you watch the Video I posted or research farther into his obstacles or Experiences ? Of course We would Enjoy such a Park HECK YA But the obstacles you face in getting it done are almost insurmountable BELIVE ME I have been flying RC all my life and I have seen it tried dozens and dozens of times with NO success.
You see there is a huge difference between inviting someone over to your land to Fly and Advertising to the Public that you have a flying Park To have a Publicly accessable Drone park you would first have to speak with and follow tons of rules From the Likes of the FAA, AMA, Local Zoning (if any) State and local governments (IF it is near a roadway you have stacks of papers to fill out and lots of feasibility studies that have to be completed and Approved Before you even Begin to Dig which would be a few years before you got it all Worked out.
My rude comment was not so much to insult you but to say Oh boy here comes another guy thats gonna try This and Bless you for the effort I hope they don't shoot you Down.
Now As for the AMA - In order for you to get any kind of insurance coverage for your park you are going to have to show compliance with AMA Guidelines Remember You are not asking your Buddies you are inviting the Public. I know of NO insurance Company that would cover a NON-AMA Approved Field.
I wish you luck and I will even Help if you like but as said above You can own all the sky you want but only the FAA can Regulate it.

I think your wrong, I can fly my RC Airplane any place its safe to do so,You don't need an AMA field to fly
You sure can IF it is a park flyer or you are in the middle of NO WHERE if you are throwing your Nitros or large electrics into the truck and flying up the street NO you cannot and if you are flying RC aircraft larger than park flyers " Anywhere you feel safe" Then I have some very sobering facts that I believe you should check out at the AMAs Website --I assume you are a member.
Also I have a question- When you do fly Wherever- Who pays for the accident when one occurs. YOU? Because you are not insured to fly your large plane unless you are doing so at an AMA flying field and your insurance company will not cover accidents that are not within the AMA field.

Last edited:
You sure can IF it is a park flyer or you are in the middle of NO WHERE if you are throwing your Nitros or large electrics into the truck and flying up the street NO you cannot and if you are flying RC aircraft larger than park flyers " Anywhere you feel safe" Then I have some very sobering facts that I believe you should check out at the AMAs Website --I assume you are a member.
Also I have a question- When you do fly Wherever- Who pays for the accident when one occurs. YOU? Because you are not insured to fly your large plane unless you are doing so at an AMA flying field and your insurance company will not cover accidents that are not within the AMA field.
There is no requirement to only fly large r/c aircraft at AMA fields.

Their insurance may only apply there, but plenty of people fly their large r/c a/c on private property.

There is no requirement to only fly large r/c aircraft at AMA fields.

Their insurance may only apply there, but plenty of people fly their large r/c a/c on private property.
Yes they do and you may fly on private property Within reason BUT what you can't do is open a dedicated RC park and Invite the Public without AMA Approval.

Yes they do and you may fly on private property Within reason BUT what you can't do is open a dedicated RC park and Invite the Public without AMA Approval.
You can if it’s not an AMA field. Plenty of people do, FliteTest, FPVFC, STEM +, and many cities. We worked with my city and opened three. No AMA m’ship required

100% legal.

RC Flying fields that are not AMA approved are called "PIRATE" Fields in the RC community and I don't Know of one anywhere that stays around too long without someone shutting it down. I would be happy to fly there instead of paying the over 300 dollars a year I do now to the AMA and the Field. I have flown on Private Property at a Farm and after a while The Farmers Insurance Company came over and politely Tresspassed us. When you fly away from a AMA field you are endangering those around you!!! Now I will just ask that you Google AMA and AMA flying fields for any more info andAS Someone in the RC community and an AMA Member I would like to politely ask that you refrain from flying on Someone else's property-- If a lot of people did this they would make our hobby Illegal.

RC Flying fields that are not AMA approved are called "PIRATE" Fields in the RC community and I don't Know of one anywhere that stays around too long without someone shutting it down. I would be happy to fly there instead of paying the over 300 dollars a year I do now to the AMA and the Field. I have flown on Private Property at a Farm and after a while The Farmers Insurance Company came over and politely Tresspassed us. When you fly away from a AMA field you are endangering those around you!!! Now I will just ask that you Google AMA and AMA flying fields for any more info andAS Someone in the RC community and an AMA Member I would like to politely ask that you to refrain from flying on Someone else's property-- If a lot of people did this they would make our hobby Illegal.
As an AMA member, and someone who works with their leadership team and the FAA, I can’t stress just how wrong you are.

There is absolutely ZERO wrong with flying outside AMA fields. There is no monopoly!!!!

So as long as I takeoff from his private property I can fly my 16 LB. smoothie around the Neighborhood ?
That will be my last question Because If you are an AMA Member that works with their Leadership and the FAA (and I DO believe you) I do not see How you would condone RC aircraft operations Larger than Park flyers anywhere other than an AMA field ,After all The A.M.A. has been entrusted by the FAA to manage the safety of our toys. (Just sayin) I have always liked you comments on this forum and you give good advice BUT I Believe what I stated, to be correct and my respect for your knowledge has not changed. In my RC Experience and I have NEVER seen a NON AMA RC flying field -for Gas powered aircraft. or really any large model

So as long as I takeoff from his private property I can fly my 16 LB. smoothie around the Neighborhood ?
That will be my last question Because If you are an AMA Member that works with their Leadership and the FAA (and I DO believe you) I do not see How you would condone RC aircraft operations Larger than Park flyers anywhere other than an AMA field ,After all The A.M.A. has been entrusted by the FAA to manage the safety of our toys. (Just sayin) I have always liked you comments on this forum and you give good advice BUT I Believe what I stated, to be correct and my respect for your knowledge has not changed. In my RC Experience and I have NEVER seen a NON AMA RC flying field -for Gas powered aircraft. or really any large model
Because if done right, it’s perfectly safe.

And I’ve seen plenty.

The AMA does not have, and never should have, a monopoly on r/c aircraft rules.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobie