DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Height restriction

… and that will be my last comment, they’re getting ready to close the front doors on the 737 I’m in headed to Baltimore for the FAA Symposium and AAM Summit.

Again, nothing wrong with flying larger gas r/c aircraft outside of AMA fields if done safely. And it can easily be done safely.

Reactions: okw
RC Flying fields that are not AMA approved are called "PIRATE" Fields in the RC community and I don't Know of one anywhere that stays around too long without someone shutting it down.

Are you even reading what Vic posted?

Do you know who he is?

The answer to the second question causes me to take what he says, on most things drone, as authoritative.

I Read It.- I know Who He is- I very much respect his opinion, And I still stand by my statement of no non AMA Public Fields
I think we are a little off track here though.
I am not saying you cannot Fly your rc other places.- I am saying that IF you open a Park Accessible to the Public where anyone can Fly You will be needing the AMA. They are the ones The FAA has entrusted to regulate Safety at these Parks or fields. SURE you can fly anything you like on your property- Nobody Cares BUT When you invite the Public out, A lot of people start caring. AND thats my 2 cents. later guys

I often wonder why I never see just anyone flying an RC fixed wing aircraft at the local park even if there are no rules against it and the park is huge (i.e. city blocks). Yet I do see it from time to time and a guy will pull in with his pickup truck and 2 or 3 planes and he does loops and tricks and his planes seems to do about 90mph but he never leaves the park boundaries and he uses the empty parking lot for a runway. I have no idea how this all works so no opinion from me, but when I see a park posted no RC aircraft I often wonder if that means drones, too.

The AMA is a private organization, NOT a government entity. Would you want to Hell's Angels membership be mandated before you ride your motorcycle?
OK last one...The A.M.A. Is A private organization That is ENTRUSTED by the Goverment They do not belong to the Government But they do create Rules that the government uses to make regulations.

OK last one...The A.M.A. Is A private organization That is ENTRUSTED by the Goverment They do not belong to the Government But they do create Rules that the government uses to make regulations.
They are NOT government regulations!! And have no power unless agreed to by the person involved.

Reactions: Torque
I often wonder why I never see just anyone flying an RC fixed wing aircraft at the local park even if there are no rules against it
I see it all the time at my most-often fly spot at Seacliff State Beach.

No A.M.A. anywhere.

These are small gas or electric fixed-wing, seen a model heli once. I'm the most frequent flyer there, but probably half the time there's another drone or RC plane.

Now, to be completely fair to @Cafguy, these are not 16lb predators heading out on terrorists killing missions like @Cafguy flies 😁

Never seen anything with a wingspan greater than 2ft or so, except for a guy with a suspiciously similar looking glider to the Gentle Lady. That had a 3-4ft wingspan.

The field, and parking lot takeoff runway can't support anything that needs more than 20-30 feet to get in the air on a takeoff roll.

Link for that?

I belong to 3 local AMA sanctioned flying fields here in the Puget Sound but probably 50% of my RC plane flights are outside of the AMA flying fields. A lot of RC Pilots fly at the local soccer fields when they are not in use - there are no formal invitations, Joe tells his buddy Fred, etc., nothing is organized, it just happens. I fly often at one about 5 miles from my house. The closest AMA field is 15 miles away.
Another very popular spot is called "60 Acres" and it is a King County sports park (94 acres total). Not an AMA sanctioned field but almost any day there isn't a game on one of the 25 fields, there are people flying drones, fixed wings, and sail planes. The Soaring club has a sanctioned field, but meet at this field each Wednesday.
Here is a quote from their website:
"The park is divided into two major field areas, 60 Acres North and 60 Acres South. The complex includes twenty-five well-maintained grass fields used for a multitude of sports, activities and special events. 60 Acres was designed to accommodate exhibition games, tournaments, league games, special events, as well as camps and clinics. In addition 60 Acres hosts a variety of passive uses including model airplane flying, rocketry and Frisbee to name a few. Accompanying these fields are paved and gravel parking lots, restrooms, and a covered picnic area. 60 Acres is situated next to the Sammamish River Trail (a popular hiking and biking destination) which connects the Eastside’s and Seattle’s many popular recreational, dining and lodging facilities."

Last edited:
I see it all the time at my most-often fly spot at Seacliff State Beach.

No A.M.A. anywhere.

These are small gas or electric fixed-wing, seen a model heli once. I'm the most frequent flyer there, but probably half the time there's another drone or RC plane.

Now, to be completely fair to @Cafguy, these are not 16lb predators heading out on terrorists killing missions like @Cafguy flies 😁

Never seen anything with a wingspan greater than 2ft or so, except for a guy with a suspiciously similar looking glider to the Gentle Lady. That had a 3-4ft wingspan.

The field, and parking lot takeoff runway can't support anything that needs more than 20-30 feet to get in the air on a takeoff roll.
True about the large scale planes and especially gas powered planes. I fly only electric, but I don't think I've ever seen a giant scale or a gas plane at these other fields. Oh, the sail planes - some of them have 12 foot wing spans but they are electric or completely passive, requiring a tow or a sling to launch. Two of the AMA flying fields I belong to limit the days and the hours that you can fly gas due to the noise level.

Oh, the sail planes - some of them have 12 foot wing spans but they are electric or completely passive, requiring a tow or a sling to launch. Two of the AMA flying fields I belong to limit the days and the hours that you can fly gas due to the noise level.

This got me thinking back to my Gentle Lady soaring days. 2-channels, elevator and rudder. I was working as an engineer in Cupertino, CA, and would shoot up to Half Moon Bay after work in the summer to cliff-soar. No tow or sling necessary, just stand 10 feet from the cliff, hold it high with one arm, and let go. The wing filled my Honda CRX from the hatch to the gear shift, so I think it was like 6ft.

The topology/geography at Seacliff would support the same thing. I'm tempted to build another glider, and then I think of gluing all that balsa wood, ironing the monokote and painstakingly getting it perfect, etc.

Getting long in the tooth... don't even know if Monokote's a thing anymore. Wish I had a grandkid to take on a project like that with... not yet 😔

Link for that?

I belong to 3 local AMA sanctioned flying fields here in the Puget Sound but probably 50% of my RC plane flights are outside of the AMA flying fields. A lot of RC Pilots fly at the local soccer fields when they are not in use - there are no formal invitations, Joe tells his buddy Fred, etc., nothing is organized, it just happens. I fly often at one about 5 miles from my house. The closest AMA field is 15 miles away.
Another very popular spot is called "60 Acres" and it is a King County sports park (94 acres total). Not an AMA sanctioned field but almost any day there isn't a game on one of the 25 fields, there are people flying drones, fixed wings, and sail planes. The Soaring club has a sanctioned field, but meet at this field each Wednesday.
Here is a quote from their website:
"The park is divided into two major field areas, 60 Acres North and 60 Acres South. The complex includes twenty-five well-maintained grass fields used for a multitude of sports, activities and special events. 60 Acres was designed to accommodate exhibition games, tournaments, league games, special events, as well as camps and clinics. In addition 60 Acres hosts a variety of passive uses including model airplane flying, rocketry and Frisbee to name a few. Accompanying these fields are paved and gravel parking lots, restrooms, and a covered picnic area. 60 Acres is situated next to the Sammamish River Trail (a popular hiking and biking destination) which connects the Eastside’s and Seattle’s many popular recreational, dining and lodging facilities."
That's what I do, fly at the soccer fields when there is no organized play. Often times I arrive and there is absolutely no one on about a dozen fields which is nice for FPV. Few weeks ago (for the first time in years), a city official pulled up and basically told me this is city property and we don't allow drones. I asked "is that a city ordinance" and he said as long as no one is playing, then he left after he realized he was wrong (i already did a public records request for any local laws governing drones or rc aircraft: none).

The govt does not use AMA’s rules to create regulations. Congress makes the rules.

You are overinflating AMA’s influence. And they’re standing in the community. Their history of anti-drone comments and hating on drones at the local level has soured many.

I know many folks who no longer are members. Including some very well known YouTube folks. I’m still a member, but question that necessity every two years when I send them a check.

So as long as I takeoff from his private property I can fly my 16 LB. smoothie around the Neighborhood ?
That will be my last question Because If you are an AMA Member that works with their Leadership and the FAA (and I DO believe you) I do not see How you would condone RC aircraft operations Larger than Park flyers anywhere other than an AMA field ,After all The A.M.A. has been entrusted by the FAA to manage the safety of our toys. (Just sayin) I have always liked you comments on this forum and you give good advice BUT I Believe what I stated, to be correct and my respect for your knowledge has not changed. In my RC Experience and I have NEVER seen a NON AMA RC flying field -for Gas powered aircraft. or really any large model
'Cause 'Merica?

Okay ... I'll bite. Read pretty much every comment in the thread and I'm wondering if we got round to discovering what grandpa's patent was?
A land patent is simply another means of establishing property ownership. It is not intellectual property, the other kind of patent we are all familiar with.

In fact, every deed ultimately traces back to an initial land patent. A Land Patent is considered the highest form of ownership proof over land.

A land patent is simply another means of establishing property ownership. It is not intellectual property, the other kind of patent we are all familiar with.

In fact, every deed ultimately traces back to an initial land patent. A Land Patent is considered the highest form of ownership proof over land.
And there was I thinking it had something to do with a house with a load of balloons tied to the roof to claim curtilage and reasonable height of feasible use of airspace in the stratosphere😁

Yeah, referring to a Land Patent when talking about land ownership means nothing in terms of property rights... there's no difference from the lowest form, a claim.

The difference comes in ownership dispute. Near impossible to defy a Land Patent ownership claim, while a stake on all 4 corners – a legal claim in the past, don't know if still a legal way to claim ownership, but I don't think there's any unclaimed land in the US any more – is easily challenged... "I put down stakes before he did".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redulus