DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No matter how cocky you'll get, eventually your going down. - pilot failure : crash

Would love to watch the video of your flight under the bridge, were you able to save the sd card?

the files were corrupted probably cause of a sudden stop to the video. But I might have saved the cached files, but it stops at the moment the mavic gets bored of slamming his head to the bridge and drops... and I meen at the moment! that might be the reason it's flying, that the battery had somehow malfunctioned in the impact and therefor the aircrafts pcb boards didn't fry in the water. It must be, i mean it was in the water for 5-6 hours.

Nope. My Mavic will never crash unless I decide it's time. I know this because I'm smarter than average. One way I know I'm smarter than average is that I know how to use an apostrophe.

That's the spirit, until one has to look up from a crash. lol :)

My mavic got soaking wet one time and it flew like it never happened. I'll give it to DJI for their quality on sealing off their products. Here's a video right before the rain, you may be able to see it in the distance.

Reactions: Red_Raven
2 dji drones in 10 months and still insanely careful every time I fly. No crashes with 2 close calls. I know eventually it'll happen but we'll see. I rode a street motorcycle for 25 years and had a few near crashes but never a bike accident either. I truly am as careful as absolutely possible. I cant afford to replace it so I don't break it!!

Although, I have commented on this thread at the beginning, I thought I would share this.

Great report, and good to know that all may not be lost if a Mavic takes a swim.

I spent an hour blocking this shot. Before I recorded it I checklisted as many obstructions and potential problems as I could find, including hidden branches, interference from the steel structure, and that nasty length of chain hanging from the far side of the decking. There was also a venturi-like jetstream pushing the drone under the bridge.

The shot doesn't look complicated but there were a lot of things working against me. Had I not taken the time to carefully prepare my approach I'm certain the Mavic would have wound up wet.

When I began riding motorcycles back in the early 70's I received a bit of advice that has stayed with me to this day. The dealer I purchased my first bike (a '73 Honda CB450 twin) from said, "ride like you're convinced that every car on the road wants to kill you.". I still ride this way, and I prepare myself mentally prior to each ride with this wisdom.

I ride a Harley, and I'm pretty sure that every car is trying to kill me. Just got back from a 1800 mile ride that I brought the Mavic with me, I got to use it once because of NFZ's and the rain.

@ksiads very nice! We need more postings and examples showing people how to do this safely and right.

I discussed some of this in summary in another thread, namely what to do to successfully fly under a low, steel bridge. It can be done, done with minimal risk, and done well if one takes appropriate precautions, sets up the AC properly, and makes sure they are practiced in ATTI flying skills.

I'm thinking of doing some flights like this along the San Lorenzo river through downtown Santa Cruz, CA -- there are many great, low overpasses that would make really spectacular Tripod Mode cinematography flying under them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive