DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No matter how cocky you'll get, eventually your going down. - pilot failure : crash

Red_Raven

Reactions
I've crashed few drones, sometimes without any critical damage, at least one never got his wings again.....
I look at it as part of this game, we all will or have been defeated by gravity in some way or another.

I crashed my first mavic few days ago, into freaking salt water. It was impossible to find it so I had to wait 6 hours while the sea slowly lowered it's level. And at perfect timing I went back and saw it laying upside down on the bottom. I got it back, but also got myself a little wet.

What went wrong?
100% pilot error. I was flying in a very low spot under a bridge, done it many times, but this time my eyesight and brain didn't function in perfect harmony and I tought I was on the other side and pushed my thumb on the left pin to fly up and finish the shot, but bam.... I flew right up under the bridge and in seconds I was down..... Nothing I could have done to save it after the mavic crashed up under the bridge.

So I was 100% sure I had completely ruined one of my drones. But one is stubborn, and nothing goes without a try. But after many hours in sea water, impossible. I took out the battery and let it lay in clean water for a while, used silica crystals to dry it, and as I tought, the pcb boards and all inside of the mavic had thick layers of dry salt covered everywhere.

I grabbed a toothbrush and a 100% isopropyl alchohol and started brushing it, brushed hard and kept the boards wet. Helped the alchohol to dry with canned air..... Eventually the air can was empty so my wife's hairdryer was blasted on cold settings. (Probably going to get killed for that.....)

In the beginning the electronics looked like that :
06fc629fdb4eef604e85fdf48edf46ca.jpg

Slowly but surely it started to look like what it is, an electronic device.
I've made it clear that there isn't a as much as particle of salt inside the device, it's cleaner than new.
af3b8c474e8cd6de6c7af222153abcde.jpg

So it was thrown into silica box for the night and turned on next morning. ****, the remote wouldn't connect, so I switched to wifi. No luck. I tried repeatedly to bind the controller with the mavic with no luck. I wasn't surprise.

Next stop : the forum. Pm'd the guy who knows his stuff when drones are the subject Thunderdrone. He didn't take long to ask if I had bind the controller, and sent me a how to video.... I almost found the comment insulting, of course I had, and what was the video for?
Well I watched it and it turns out I was doing it wrong. Did it as in the video and voila. It instantly connected.

the gimbal was fully functional but video was black. I noticed a cracked flat cable when I was looking for a reason. Got new cable today and the screen lightened up.

Now my salty submarine is fully functioning and looking like this : (he's dancing because it was really hard wind today.)

Dropbox - 2017-05-15 00.27.52.mp4

Nothing is impossible, and those little lizards (I've always found mavic look like a lizard or a frog, both with legs out or packed together) are tougher than I could imagine.
I feel like my decision to try to repair it and succeed is a much better deal than turn it in to dji care and be disappointed for few weeks about dji service. I got it up in few days and as a bonus I know the device alot better and it's build. I Even know it's soft spots and where it can take a punch.

And guys when you crash the best way to deal with it is to not throw to many f's at it. It's all part of the game, it's never about how often you're knocked out, it's about to stand up once more than you get down, that way you simply cannot fail.

Last edited:
Is good you listened to thunder and glad you fixed it . Have bounced mine and was fine and have hit and not so fine . Happens
Has been that way with all mine .
I do fly like a crazy chimp so I just roll with the results .
Good work on your part . Thumbswayup

I've crashed few drones, sometimes without any critical damage, at least one never got his wings again.....
I look at it as part of this game, we all will or have been defeated by gravity in some way or another.

I crashed my first mavic few days ago, into freaking salt water. It was impossible to find it so I had to wait 6 hours while the sea slowly lowered it's level. And at perfect timing I went back and saw it laying upside down on the bottom. I got it back, but also got myself a little wet.

What went wrong?
100% pilot error. I was flying in a very low spot under a bridge, done it many times, but this time my eyesight and brain didn't function in perfect harmony and I tought I was on the other side and pushed my thumb on the left pin to fly up and finish the shot, but bam.... I flew right up under the bridge and in seconds I was down..... Nothing I could have done to save it after the mavic crashed up under the bridge.

So I was 100% sure I had completely ruined one of my drones. But one is stubborn, and nothing goes without a try. But after many hours in sea water, impossible. I took out the battery and let it lay in clean water for a while, used silica crystals to dry it, and as I tought, the pcb boards and all inside of the mavic had thick layers of dry salt covered everywhere.

I grabbed a toothbrush and a 100% isopropyl alchohol and started brushing it, brushed hard and kept the boards wet. Helped the alchohol to dry with canned air..... Eventually the air can was empty so my wife's hairdryer was blasted on cold settings. (Probably going to get killed for that.....)

In the beginning the electronics looked like that :
06fc629fdb4eef604e85fdf48edf46ca.jpg

Slowly but surely it started to look like what it is, an electronic device.
I've made it clear that there isn't a as much as particle of salt inside the device, it's cleaner than new.
af3b8c474e8cd6de6c7af222153abcde.jpg

So it was thrown into silica box for the night and turned on next morning. ****, the remote wouldn't connect, so I switched to wifi. No luck. I tried repeatedly to bind the controller with the mavic with no luck. I wasn't surprise.

Next stop : the forum. Pm'd the guy who knows his stuff when drones are the subject Thunderdrone. He didn't take long to ask if I had bind the controller, and sent me a how to video.... I almost found the comment insulting, of course I had, and what was the video for?
Well I watched it and it turns out I was doing it wrong. Did it as in the video and voila. It instantly connected.

the gimbal was fully functional but video was black. I noticed a cracked flat cable when I was looking for a reason. Got new cable today and the screen lightened up.

Now my salty submarine is fully functioning and looking like this : (he's dancing because it was really hard wind today.)

Dropbox - 2017-05-15 00.27.52.mp4

Nothing is impossible, and those little lizards (I've always found mavic look like a lizard or a frog, both with legs out or packed together) are tougher than I could imagine.
I feel like my decision to try to repair it and succeed is a much better deal than turn it in to dji care and be disappointed for few weeks about dji service. I got it up in few days and as a bonus I know the device alot better and it's build. I Even know it's soft spots and where it can take a punch.

And guys when you crash the best way to deal with it is to not throw to many f's at it. It's all part of the game, it's never about how often you're knocked out, it's about to stand up once more than you get down, that way you simply cannot fail.
While it was open, you should have applied corrosionX to the electronics to waterproof it.

While it was open, you should have applied corrosionX to the electronics to waterproof it.

I've been searching for awhile. It isn't available in my country and nothing similar for my best knowledge....
It's one of the downside of being isolated on an island.....
I eventually will Just give up and order something.... But mostly I plan to keep it out of water. Lol

Umm, I have had my share of birds in the salt water drink by clients.
The OP has given pics of before and after.
The first pic shows massive corrosion. More than I've ever seen.
Then the second pic is supposed to be the same aircraft reconditioned.
I would like to think this thread is true, but being a tech for so many years, It's a bit hard to believe. Salt water is usually death to electronics in all most all cases especially for than a few minutes and with battery operational at the time of impact. I have never had any PC board clean up that well after being submitted to salt water for that time.
That's just my observation of this thread. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I will be ok with the response.:rolleyes:

I would like to think this thread is true, but being a tech for so many years, It's a bit hard to believe. Salt water is usually death to electronics in all most all cases especially for than a few minutes and with battery operational at the time of impact. I have never had any PC board clean up that well after being submitted to salt water for that time.

I would have to correct you fellow, I have no background in electronics except for being more curious than normal.
And I did that, so you might at least look at your choice of career and reconsider if it's the right path for you..... [emoji23]

Isn't it a long shot that I'd plan my lie in such details that I'd seek help from another forum user in private, and actually recieve it. I wouldn't have finish this without Thunderdrone help.

Do you want more pictures?

5e5d16215bda9320c40785ef5d5e0041.jpg
de1fbf1f5359673c0ead638026bd0150.jpg

da41f32b6098ab6bff54b1c4b2e2d0f5.jpg

35ec57e7291f71bb7a9b1fd04ac7450c.jpg

And the green gimbal clamp here is it,on my hands and you can see the clock in my car. It's on gmt. Ask Google for Reykjavík time.

You can call someone else a Liar you son of a..... [emoji3]
066e14b0a2ee8e7e53e9c493f8730a44.jpg

I would normally agree with you that fresh water stands a slight chance of survival, but salt water is a death sentence. @svavar is the exception because he was meticulous in his repair job. He and I have around 3 or 4 pages of conversations of what to do and how to do it. He might make it seem like he did it overnight, but it was many many hours of work getting it back flying again. He had to replace some parts that were broken, but he did it all himself, and Im proud of him for not giving up. Not everyone will be as lucky or dedicated as he is, but it's nice to have a happy ending to a story sometimes.

I would normally agree with you that fresh water stands a slight chance of survival, but salt water is a death sentence. @svavar is the exception because he was meticulous in his repair job. He and I have around 3 or 4 pages of conversations of what to do and how to do it. He might make it seem like he did it overnight, but it was many many hours of work getting it back flying again. He had to replace some parts that were broken, but he did it all himself, and Im proud of him for not giving up. Not everyone will be as lucky or dedicated as he is, but it's nice to have a happy ending to a story sometimes.
I absolutely agree! I was not doubting him, I was just saying it is a bit hard to believe. You as well as I know, this is a major deal.
Otherwise, it's all good.
I cannot lie:cool:, I have a P3 that I recovered from the ocean and it survived after replacing 2 motors and the camera.
Still flying it, but that corrosion creates and will forever keep haunting me.

Reactions: SweeT and Red_Raven
I might add that after few flights I find one of the four motors let's say not trustworthy. And if I turn it by hand it feels it needs slightly more force. So even tough we have more than good ending for me here, I might have to change one motor.
Than on the other hand it could also be my mind playing tricks on me, I get a little stuck on things, as shown on the repair process.... And than my mind sometimes makes up stuff so the task won't be over so quick.

How can I make sure the motor is good?

I absolutely agree! I was not doubting him, I was just saying it is a bit hard to believe. You as well as I know, this is a major deal.
Otherwise, it's all good.
I cannot lie:cool:, I have a P3 that I recovered from the ocean and it survived after replacing 2 motors and the camera.
Still flying it, but that corrosion creates and will forever keep haunting me.

I agree that salt water damage is a major deal, even salt spray could be a game ender. I see so many posts on the forums where a new owner wants tips for flying over water, many times on the first flight. My first advice is to get drone damage or loss insurance. Refresh doesnt cover loss.

Glad to hear you had a happy story with your P3. The motors on the Mav are alot easier to replace than the P3, even though you normally have to replace the whole arm. Getting the P3 body apart is always a challenge without damaging it. On the Mavic, price wise, its cheap to do.

Reactions: Red_Raven
I might add that after few flights I find one of the four motors let's say not trustworthy. And if I turn it by hand it feels it needs slightly more force. So even tough we have more than good ending for me here, I might have to change one motor.
Than on the other hand it could also be my mind playing tricks on me, I get a little stuck on things, as shown on the repair process.... And than my mind sometimes makes up stuff so the task won't be over so quick.

How can I make sure the motor is good?

Is it a front or rear motor? If it feels gritty or has more friction than the other motors, corrosion or debris might have gotten in there, and theres no way to get it out. If it's making any noises different than the others, or the Mavic is surging or not flying straight, I would change the motor.

It's a cheap repair, you just need to take off the top body and do some soldering. The rears are easier than the fronts. Let me know if you need any help with it. It would be a shame for you to loose it after all this work because of a faulty motor.

I can handle pilot error. It's equipment failure that scares me. Lol. I fly with the understanding that "Gravity is not your friend"

Is it a front or rear motor? If it feels gritty or has more friction than the other motors, corrosion or debris might have gotten in there, and theres no way to get it out. If it's making any noises different than the others, or the Mavic is surging or not flying straight, I would change the motor.

It's a cheap repair, you just need to take off the top body and do some soldering. The rears are easier than the fronts. Let me know if you need any help with it. It would be a shame for you to loose it after all this work because of a faulty motor.
I hate to say this but it could be the beginning of the end. How much time and effort makes it not worth it? Now it's the motors?
Personally, I would take no more chances of flying this aircraft.
Why take a chance of it failing due to malfunctions and hurt someone?
I would seriously be cautious.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive