DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No matter how cocky you'll get, eventually your going down. - pilot failure : crash

Is it a front or rear motor? If it feels gritty or has more friction than the other motors, corrosion or debris might have gotten in there, and theres no way to get it out. If it's making any noises different than the others, or the Mavic is surging or not flying straight, I would change the motor.

It's a cheap repair, you just need to take off the top body and do some soldering. The rears are easier than the fronts. Let me know if you need any help with it. It would be a shame for you to loose it after all this work because of a faulty motor.

it's a rear motor, it sounds fine but it's defently stiffer than the others. Lucky me my friend crashed his about a month ago and is going to supply me this motor. spares for mavic does not lay around here on the north pole. :)
Did you say I would change the wole foot or just the motor ?

Reactions: HaWu
I hate to say this but it could be the beginning of the end. How much time and effort makes it not worth it? Now it's the motors?
Personally, I would take no more chances of flying this aircraft.
Why take a chance of it failing due to malfunctions and hurt someone?
I would seriously be cautious.

I agree in a way. I see no reason to give up because of one motor, i've only replaced one cable so far. But I don't trust the aircraft at this point, it'll have to prove to be trustworthy. I have another drones, so this one won't be taken on any missions it can cause trouble.. But i will try it to the fullest, at this point nothing says other than it's in good condition.

motor damage is something I had tought of given the amount og green slimy sea plants it was covered in.. something must have gotten into the motors, if not , my luck were out of this world.

Reactions: LessOften
I hate to say this but it could be the beginning of the end. How much time and effort makes it not worth it? Now it's the motors?
Personally, I would take no more chances of flying this aircraft.
Why take a chance of it failing due to malfunctions and hurt someone?
I would seriously be cautious.

I will be the first guy to call it a day if I find the device shaky... But one has to try untill at least it's proven to be broke.

IMG_0119.GIF I think you are a nut job, OCD and very impressive in getting the Drone flying. Lol
It would have taken many hours to clean everything up, I think I would have bought a bottle of Vodka and drunk that whilst giving it a Vikings burial.
Very impressed.

View attachment 13903 I think you are a nut job, OCD and very impressive in getting the Drone flying. Lol
It would have taken many hours to clean everything up, I think I would have bought a bottle of Vodka and drunk that whilst giving it a Vikings burial.
Very impressed.

just the smell of 100% isopropyl makes that bottle completely unneccesary! :)

it's a rear motor, it sounds fine but it's defently stiffer than the others. Lucky me my friend crashed his about a month ago and is going to supply me this motor. spares for mavic does not lay around here on the north pole. :)
Did you say I would change the wole foot or just the motor ?

The hole arm is easier to replace than an individual motor.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Reactions: Red_Raven
Yea, I took them off to clean properly where they are added on the aircraft.

It was alot of salt to brush off there

I agree it's a hard story to believe but I absolutely believe svavar! I think it's a case of hard work and a bit of luck. My experience with saltwater flooding cases has been about a 10% chance of recovery even with complete disassembly and meticulous cleaning of the every part. The number one item use to be phones that people left in their swim trunks and then went for a swim.

I once salvaged a complete IT department for a hotel. All the equipment had been underwater for 3 days after a river overflowed its banks. The job started with a hose and the removal of pounds of mud!

Out of 20 servers I threw away about 12 older ones and managed to get two of the newer ones working. One died about 6 months later and the other one is still functioning several years after the incident.

One thing that still puzzles me with the Mavic is why does the Camera still work after being submerged? I would think that water would flow into them, but they seem to be water tight.

Rob

I would have to correct you fellow, I have no background in electronics except for being more curious than normal.
And I did that, so you might at least look at your choice of career and reconsider if it's the right path for you..... [emoji23]

Isn't it a long shot that I'd plan my lie in such details that I'd seek help from another forum user in private, and actually recieve it. I wouldn't have finish this without Thunderdrone help.

Do you want more pictures?

5e5d16215bda9320c40785ef5d5e0041.jpg
de1fbf1f5359673c0ead638026bd0150.jpg

da41f32b6098ab6bff54b1c4b2e2d0f5.jpg

35ec57e7291f71bb7a9b1fd04ac7450c.jpg

I admit I was confused why you used a different part of the mavic board for your after photo.

Wow, that is an amazing effort and a job well done.
Sensational effort, so cool.
Might put on my frogman outfit and go searching for lost Mavics around the harbor :cool:

A P4 never would have survived this. Too many easily flooded boards throughout, with poor or no conformal coating (they seemed to start doing more of that on P4 boards in more recent builds).

In the Mavic teardowns I've watched (not gonna take mine apart), it looks like all the electronics are very thoroughly coated, and the compact design and layout, along with some adhesive fastening in some places helps with intrusion.

All of this increases the chances that a Mavic would have a better shot at survival after a relatively brief dip in salt water, vs. a Phantom for comparison.

Still, it's quite remarkable. I would have thought at least the baro altimeter would be trashed.

Did you flush the Mavic with fresh water after retrieving it? That is my plan if I ever go down in the sound.

I once salvaged a complete IT department for a hotel. All the equipment had been underwater for 3 days after a river overflowed its banks.

Did you have to wear a mask, fins and snorkel to work? lol

One thing that still puzzles me with the Mavic is why does the Camera still work after being submerged? I would think that water would flow into them, but they seem to be water tight.

The gimbals are not really watertight, but they are pretty water resistant. Just like the old Timex watches, you can splash water on them, but just dont hold them under water for extended periods of time.

The gimbal screws on the motor covers are screwed on tightly and one part fits together very flush with and sometimes overlaps the adjoining part. In additional to a good tight fit, there is insulation on 3 of the flat ribbon connectors that will not allow too much water to reach inside to the connector or circuit board.

The camera body itself is the most protected part. It has a very tight fit to the rest of the gimbal arm, and has putty inside to protect the circuit board. The connector might get damp, but the internals of the camera body will remain dry, again, unless submerged or hit with a direct spray of water.

Many people think that the Mavic gimbal is flimsy, but Im here to tell you that it is very well engineered and durable and the parts fit together like they would on a Maybach. The usual parts to break on impact are the ribbon cable because it is exposed (not so much on the new Spark), the silver stranded cable, and the gimbal plate where the 2 screws hold it on.

The Phantoms had strong gimbals too, but their ribbons were also fragile, and their motors were just as strong, but you could replace one gimbal motor on the Phantom, you cant on the Mavic.

Sorry for the boring post. I just enjoy the minutia a little too much.

Roll motor.jpg Pitch motor.jpg Cam body.jpg

Did you flush the Mavic with fresh water after retrieving it? That is my plan if I ever go down in the sound.

Yes I did... And then let it stay in the water for few hours. It didn't do anything, the salt was all clustered up everywhere after I dried it from the flush.

It was many rounds of brushing it with a toothbrush and 100% isopropyl (any alchohol over 90% would do)
And I meen many rounds of the brushing and drying with hairdryer (cold) I've wouldn't belive how stuck the salt was, given that it is completely soluble in water, or so I tought.

It was a hard work, but I'm enough of a nerd to have a great time [emoji23]

I agree it's a hard story to believe but I absolutely believe svavar! I think it's a case of hard work and a bit of luck. My experience with saltwater flooding cases has been about a 10% chance of recovery even with complete disassembly and meticulous cleaning of the every part. The number one item use to be phones that people left in their swim trunks and then went for a swim.

I once salvaged a complete IT department for a hotel. All the equipment had been underwater for 3 days after a river overflowed its banks. The job started with a hose and the removal of pounds of mud!

Out of 20 servers I threw away about 12 older ones and managed to get two of the newer ones working. One died about 6 months later and the other one is still functioning several years after the incident.

Rob

I know how salt can be fatal. I worked for years on a freezing trawler and we the younger guys in the crew were often called out to be a big spenders (we had huge salary and no responsibility, of course we were) one of the things spent on was Peltor headphones... You know the kind that eliminates sounds at work but with radios. Each headphone were quite expensive, nothing out of this world but maybe $100 and I'm not sure if it was simply crappy designed or just couldn't handle the salt, but as an example I bought twelve of them in 2007, 12 f-ing headphones in a year. That's one a month. They just lost so much sound quality in a 39day period that we just bought new.)

But I couldn't even think of making work 10x longer by doing it in silence.... Not a chance.

Those where the days when I woke up at 12 (was month away and month at home all year round) and of course it happened often that I hadn't managed to laundry any clothes. Being a guy around 20's
That ment go out in yesterday's dress to buy more supplies (clothes) and never were anything learned of those mistakes. Lol

I've never had as much cash to spend as at that time....
It was fun, but today I get sick when I look back and see how much was spent in absolutely nothing.... And let's not think of how life today we're easier if I had been smart and saved..... But who's smart when he's young.....

Did you have to wear a mask, fins and snorkel to work? lol

The gimbals are not really watertight, but they are pretty water resistant. Just like the old Timex watches, you can splash water on them, but just dont hold them under water for extended periods of time.

The gimbal screws on the motor covers are screwed on tightly and one part fits together very flush with and sometimes overlaps the adjoining part. In additional to a good tight fit, there is insulation on 3 of the flat ribbon connectors that will not allow too much water to reach inside to the connector or circuit board.

The camera body itself is the most protected part. It has a very tight fit to the rest of the gimbal arm, and has putty inside to protect the circuit board. The connector might get damp, but the internals of the camera body will remain dry, again, unless submerged or hit with a direct spray of water.

Many people think that the Mavic gimbal is flimsy, but Im here to tell you that it is very well engineered and durable and the parts fit together like they would on a Maybach. The usual parts to break on impact are the ribbon cable because it is exposed (not so much on the new Spark), the silver stranded cable, and the gimbal plate where the 2 screws hold it on.

The Phantoms had strong gimbals too, but their ribbons were also fragile, and their motors were just as strong, but you could replace one gimbal motor on the Phantom, you cant on the Mavic.

Sorry for the boring post. I just enjoy the minutia a little too much.

View attachment 13917 View attachment 13918 View attachment 13919

Call me a nerd, but post including good facts and information are my favourite. While drone policing is not [emoji23][emoji3]

great work! It's amazing what these birds can take and keep on flying!

My two cents: be sure to apply new heat sink compound!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986