DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No mobile signal ..,

Fox Cottage

Reactions
Hi Y'all,

I am a newbie, I have read heaps of the posts on here and also read the manual cover to cover AND watched YouTube videos and I am still not clear about how to fly the MPP when you have no mobile signal/coverage. I am in Australia just in case that helps!

On the weekend I took the MPP out to a place where I had no mobile signal and at first it would fly but with no picture on the phone. I didn't take it too high as I was concerned that it wasn't going to come back to me. I snapped a couple of shots and while I couldn't see them on the phone they appeared in the album sometime later. I then drove back to somewhere where there was mobile coverage and it flew perfectly with me being able to see the view from my phone and take photos successfully. I then went back to where there was no mobile coverage and the phone wouldn't connect at all to the RC and the drone would not fly.

Would someone please tell me definitively whether you can or cannot fly in an area where there is no mobile signal and if so, what I have to do to make that happen in a safe manner and preferably so I can take some photos and see what I am doing on the phone. Thanks, Anna!

Reactions: mulemanSok
If you mean mobile cellular coverage, It is not required at all to fly the mavic. The connection is between the mavic and remote control, then via the cable to your phone. No WiFi needed, No LTE needed, no signal at all as far as the phone is concerned. In fact, its best to use the phone in airplane mode so all it does is run the djigo app.
Make sure the cable from the remote to your phone is good.

If you mean mobile cellular coverage, It is not required at all to fly the mavic. The connection is between the mavic and remote control, then via the cable to your phone. No WiFi needed, No LTE needed, no signal at all as far as the phone is concerned. In fact, its best to use the phone in airplane mode so all it does is run the djigo app.

This ..

Thanks heaps. I’ll have another go out in the wilds and see how I go. It was just odd that it worked in town but not out of town. Twice. Again, will have another go! Fingers crossed.

Thanks heaps. I’ll have another go out in the wilds and see how I go. It was just odd that it worked in town but not out of town. Twice. Again, will have another go! Fingers crossed.
Hi Youngster - u sound as perlexed as me - still to launch the Mavic - keep reading something new every day Maybe its becuse we are "down under"and it's all arse about
Regards Ross

Reactions: Fox Cottage
What phone are you using, as others have posted it's a physical connection between controller and the phone, so it's strange not to have a live feed in one area and then to have one ?

Are you getting a strong "HD" signal when the live feed cuts out ?

Download dji assistant also to do your calibration. Try to order the crystal sky- I had issues with my phone due to interference, but with CS, I haven’t gotten any of those warnings yet.

If there is no mobile signal/data will the map still update? Is tha map cached? Thanks

If there is no mobile signal/data will the map still update?
No. You need to cache the maps like this in a location where you have an Internet connection before you head out to fly.

What phone are you using, as others have posted it's a physical connection between controller and the phone, so it's strange not to have a live feed in one area and then to have one ?

Are you getting a strong "HD" signal when the live feed cuts out ?

Hi. The feed doesn’t cut out. It never starts at all! I haven’t tried now that I’ve cached maps for the area. Will have a go soon and see if that helps!

Hi Y'all,

I am a newbie, I have read heaps of the posts on here and also read the manual cover to cover AND watched YouTube videos and I am still not clear about how to fly the MPP when you have no mobile signal/coverage. I am in Australia just in case that helps!

On the weekend I took the MPP out to a place where I had no mobile signal and at first it would fly but with no picture on the phone. I didn't take it too high as I was concerned that it wasn't going to come back to me. I snapped a couple of shots and while I couldn't see them on the phone they appeared in the album sometime later. I then drove back to somewhere where there was mobile coverage and it flew perfectly with me being able to see the view from my phone and take photos successfully. I then went back to where there was no mobile coverage and the phone wouldn't connect at all to the RC and the drone would not fly.

Would someone please tell me definitively whether you can or cannot fly in an area where there is no mobile signal and if so, what I have to do to make that happen in a safe manner and preferably so I can take some photos and see what I am doing on the phone. Thanks, Anna!
Ive had the same issue out here in germany no worries your not alone. But they all say no need for cell service. if im in a crappy area i loose gps and video feed more right in front of me. but when i have great service NO ISSUES AT ALL. Everyone situation is different but your not the only one.

Hi Y'all,

I had the same question with my platinum. Then some experienced folks mentioned that I should fly only in RC mode instead of WIFI mode. The switch for this is just above the sd card slot. Slide the switch to RC. Then start tun the rc on, then the MPP. Then connect your device, i.e., phone or tablet. The real time image should show up. I'm assuming you are using DJI 4.0. It works via GPS, which should be indicated on the controller. I've had my MPP for about a month now, so I guess I'm still a newbie. I don't know why none of this information is not in the manual, but thanks to members on this forum, the issue is exposed and explained. There is a lot to learn about each DJI drone but I enjoy the challenge. Hope this information is at least a little helpful.

The only thing cell service is needed for is a map . 50% of the time I fly my Pro there is zero phone service . One more plus about flying out in the back country is there is zero electrical interference .

Ummm people fly with Crystal Sky screens, iPads & Mini IPads without using cellphone capabilities... I wonder how is that possible..? :rolleyes:

Cell service is handy for updates. It is the GPS signal that is so important for drone stability. Otherwise the phone or tablet is for the video feed. I don't find the flying of a Mavic with WiFi a good option at all. I know of no one that routinely would do that. Too many features are then unavailable, good range being the main one.

If you are still having hit and mis with live feed try a different cable from the controller to the phone . I use a cable that uses the bottom plug on the remote, not the one on the side

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olab