DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Pano's at launch?

I understand the appeal of an automated pano, mostly from a speed perspective, but for anyone concerned about this it is extremely easy to make your own pano without this feature. Just move the gimbal left/right up/down, whatever you want, and take a series of photos with a decent amount of overlap between them. There are lots of programs that can easily make the result into a nice pano for you. Assuming you want this done in RAW, you will be stitching it yourself after the fact anyway. I'm not saying it's a good thing they don't have that as a launch feature, but the workaround is barely any additional effort for those who are missing it.

Thanks for sharing very interesting

You can save DNG files even when using the automated Pano modes.

So I wish DJI offered MORE pano modes. The ones they have are good but I would go for say 100 degrees and maybe 2 rows instead of 3 as well.

This is where good optical zoom would be useful. You can do zoomed in panos and use fewer shots than the 360 or the 180.

In fact, why not let you configure how many pano shots and save them so that you can use them as automated pano shots?

Reactions: Johnmcl7
You can save DNG files even when using the automated Pano modes.

So I wish DJI offered MORE pano modes. The ones they have are good but I would go for say 100 degrees and maybe 2 rows instead of 3 as well.

This is where good optical zoom would be useful. You can do zoomed in panos and use fewer shots than the 360 or the 180.

In fact, why not let you configure how many pano shots and save them so that you can use them as automated pano shots?
I'd definitely have liked a configurable panorama mode so I could choose how many rows and columns.
Yeah, just tested it out with most recent firmware and panos are missing. I was able to shoot manually, but wow does that firmware feel rushed.
Thanks for the confirmation and very disappointed that's the case, it's a deal breaker for me as I use the feature extensively and I've no interest in spending the time and effort to do it all manually on an expensive drone when the M2P can do it fine with one button press.

Reactions: merak75 and EricJT
I'd definitely have liked a configurable panorama mode so I could choose how many rows and columns.

Thanks for the confirmation and very disappointed that's the case, it's a deal breaker for me as I use the feature extensively and I've no interest in spending the time and effort to do it all manually on an expensive drone when the M2P can do it fine with one button press.
Yeah, it's disappointing here as well, especially as I'm not sure of an easy way to lock AE settings (anyone know if you can bind a controller button to lock AE?), which precludes just shooting manually. Otherwise, the IQ is really quite good, definitely with higher DR than my MA2.

Guess I'll just be waiting for the software updates, but still using the drone.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
With the Mavic 2 Pro, they added software features like Hyperlapse.

The Mavic 2 Zoom had some zooming effect in software.

Are they even touting some new software feature that other drones already didn't have?

It doesn't sound like it, in fact a lot of the features other drones have are missing and being promised for January.

Guess they figured 2 cameras including a MFT sensor and 46 minutes were enough.

Reactions: Scotdrone
I understand the appeal of an automated pano, mostly from a speed perspective, but for anyone concerned about this it is extremely easy to make your own pano without this feature. Just move the gimbal left/right up/down, whatever you want, and take a series of photos with a decent amount of overlap between them. There are lots of programs that can easily make the result into a nice pano for you. Assuming you want this done in RAW, you will be stitching it yourself after the fact anyway. I'm not saying it's a good thing they don't have that as a launch feature, but the workaround is barely any additional effort for those who are missing it.
It is certainly not a good thing and while you can somehow manually wiggle around, it's not a task you want to do for a longer time: for a 180 ° or even 360 ° pano you will never get those overlaps so precisely ... well, you could just make more images, as you said of course, but now consider, if you, and unluckily the M2P never featured it, need to do it with AEB (as the sun always turns in at some point) ... that's at least 27 pictures x 3 or x 5 ...

Most of my images are comprised of multiple pictures for increasing the resolution (they don't need to be far stretched or so), and it buffles me, that such a standard function is not implemented from the very start. Honestly, that is inacceptable even if you can, to some but uncomfortable extent, get around.

Would be different, if DJI released the SDK and Litchi to the rescue, but there's none of course. 😂

Companies are so focused on sales, they are willing to take a reputation hit in the name of fastprofits. Future sales be damned (and they will be, to some extent. Being beholden to the almighty stockholder means customers, employees, products, R&D and everything else takes a back seat. Just read where DJI is unable to offer big sales pricing "because they are in financial trouble" ??? Seriously! I submit that this situation exists BECAUSE they are unable to serve many masters, so they serve one: The investor class.

During WWII, dealers for American cars HAD no new cars to sell, and survived by doing brake jobs, oil changes, tune-ups. Some were unprofitable for YEARS, yet they soldiered on, staying in business against all odds. Today these would be sacrificed and gone in a flash. I sound like an old geezer remembering the good ol' days. Because I am.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N