DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No waypoints is dealbreaker.

losing signal from tablet to drone with my mavic is a common occurance but it always finishes it,s mission and rth unless of couarse it decides the mission is to long then it returns home on its own I,m using litchi with mission hub

@Repaid1 What a thoughtful and informative response. The Go4 app is SO much more feature rich and useful than DJI Fly. I feel so fortunate to have lucked out by buying a M2P before the Air and Air2s were released. I look at the tradeoff between the M2P and M3 and say "no thank you". I'm fine where I am with the M2P, with better controller software and an MUCH better controller (in spite of people complaining "but the phone goes on the bottom".) The bottom mount never bothered me for a second.

As I said in earlier threads, DJI is on a margin building mission. And as a corporation this is understandable, but culturally is different, because an American company would more sensitive to providing more real value for more money charged. DJI's packaging reminds me of the way (American) cars were packaged years ago. The base package A had X equipment. the upgrade B would have what the base had, but minus other stuff. Package C would give and take too and you needed to get to package D to get everything you wanted. And we know what happened to the value of American cars in relation to the cars imported to the US today..

So why is there a waypoint setup for hyperlapse? What, from a compliance point of view, is the difference?

And why are other manufacturers still employing waypoints in their product, if this is deemed to be outside of legal flying?
I agree here, I'm happy that it's there, but why not just have it in normal too? The only thing I can think of is maybe heat or some other hardware limitation while recording constant hi-res video?

Unless they're paywalling that feature.

For all of us disappointed with no waypoints on the Air2S, Air 3 does have waypoints!! I was initially against it due to the drop in sensor size, but after reading about tech improvements with stacked sensors that is not as much of an issue. Add better avoidance, 45 min flight time, OS 4 with greater distance, 3X optical zoom, AND WAYPOINTS, I think I need a new drone.

Was considering a discounted Air 2S rather than Air 3 or Mavic 3 because of the Litchi Waypoints, but after reading here (and skipping over the rabbit trails) and seeing a Air 2S Litchi Waypoints vs Mavic 3 Waypoints comparison, I'm more hesitant to get an Air 2S as a Remote ID compliant, Waypoint capable drone. Too bad DJI closed their SDK to waypoint access on the newer drones...

Reactions: sawman
Was considering a discounted Air 2S rather than Air 3 or Mavic 3 because of the Litchi Waypoints, but after reading here (and skipping over the rabbit trails) and seeing a Air 2S Litchi Waypoints vs Mavic 3 Waypoints comparison, I'm more hesitant to get an Air 2S as a Remote ID compliant, Waypoint capable drone. Too bad DJI closed their SDK to waypoint access on the newer drones...
I guess it depends what you want to do with your waypoints. From what I understand Litchi just executes the turns as you've requested them, its just sending stick commands to the drone. Compared to DJI waypoints where I can set waypoint 1 pointed at 15 degrees and waypoint 2 500 feet away at 90 degrees, and it will smoothly turn between those two waypoints, unlike litchi which I understand will just just turn 75 degrees when it gets to that second point, albeit using the expo settings and controls you have to help determine the smoothness of the stick response. Would like to see the comparison you mentioned.

Compared to DJI waypoints where I can set waypoint 1 pointed at 15 degrees and waypoint 2 500 feet away at 90 degrees, and it will smoothly turn between those two waypoints, unlike litchi which I understand will just just turn 75 degrees when it gets to that second point,
That is not a correct assessment of Litchi. You have the option in Litchi to fly to waypoints and make sharp turns, YES.
You also have the option for Litchi to 'Interpolate' headings and smoothly make a turn from 15° to 90° as it travels the 2500 feet from Waypoint 1 to Waypoint 2.

Reactions: mavictk and Aairon
I guess it depends what you want to do with your waypoints. From what I understand Litchi just executes the turns as you've requested them, its just sending stick commands to the drone. Compared to DJI waypoints where I can set waypoint 1 pointed at 15 degrees and waypoint 2 500 feet away at 90 degrees, and it will smoothly turn between those two waypoints, unlike litchi which I understand will just just turn 75 degrees when it gets to that second point, albeit using the expo settings and controls you have to help determine the smoothness of the stick response. Would like to see the comparison you mentioned.
The issue is the waypoints are smooth vs “virtual sticks”, which produce jerkier video as you orbit a point of interest. You can slow down the drone speed, which helps.

I have experience with both waypoints and virtual sticks, both in Litchi on different aircraft.

Here is the comparison video:

Reactions: mavictk and Xitor
Bought the bundle from B and H. Flown the drone for five or six days. But without proper way points in the regular video format it is to restricted. Probably gonna send it back because of this lack of waypoints. Are use waypoints all the time with my M2P. May check out the litchi before I make a final decision. But I don’t think it is complete autonomous waypoints.
Really can’t believe this craft does not include proper way points. Does anybody know if they can add this in firmware updates later?
For autonomous way points you need an OLD drone like a Phantom 4 Pro+ that's why I keep mine. it will fly waypoints with the controller shut off.

Any one on this list that says onboard instead of VSC (Virtual Sticks) will do the same as yours.

A simple way to for me to remember it is - Any DJI that uses the Go (3) or Go4 app will do onboard waypoints, any that use the Fly app has to use virtual sticks... I ~think~ that still holds true?

Reactions: Hawkwind
A simple way to for me to remember it is - Any DJI that uses the Go (3) or Go4 app will do onboard waypoints, any that use the Fly app has to use virtual sticks
At one time that was correct. However, both the Mavic 3 and Air 3 have on-board waypoints and they are flown using DJI Fly.

A simple way to for me to remember it is - Any DJI that uses the Go (3) or Go4 app will do onboard waypoints, any that use the Fly app has to use virtual sticks... I ~think~ that still holds true?
It has changed slightly as DJ Wes had mentioned in post 93. The link/list I posted tells you which use virtual sticks and which don't. Anything that uses virtual sticks will not continue and finish the mission because they are not stored in the drone itself.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest