DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noise

Jacamo

Reactions
Just surprised how Noisy my MA is, few years ago I had a toy drone that was never as Noisy as this. Just saying

Great News!
I discovered Carbon Fiber Propellers by Bower yesterday for the MA. Comparing the designs, I think the standard props are noisy due to the flex and therefore the need for a larger surface area and need for the lower trailing edge to have a pronounced lip. When you feel the stiffness and quality diff, you will be upset with DJI for failing at this step of design. The originals feel like a toy and sound annoying.
Sound Meter Test: taken from TO point straight up.
Standard. Carbon Fiber
42db. Amb. 44db. Ambient reading at time of testing.
79 T.O. 77 Take off
72. 25 ft. 70
65 50 ft. 65. Airplane was going by
60. 100 ft. 55

The best differences were noted in flight when aircraft was not directly overhead. Quieter and the sound was not so annoying. It actually sounded good compared to the stock. Maneuvering was quieter as well. Max speed was unchanged in the brief flight test.

Attachments

• 579F1DDF-1DFF-48DB-9C45-7757D92F1FFF.jpeg
    579F1DDF-1DFF-48DB-9C45-7757D92F1FFF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
  • 71443959-B0DA-4AD6-84F4-D885521C7415.jpeg
    71443959-B0DA-4AD6-84F4-D885521C7415.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
Great News!
I discovered Carbon Fiber Propellers by Bower yesterday for the MA. Comparing the designs, I think the standard props are noisy due to the flex and therefore the need for a larger surface area and need for the lower trailing edge to have a pronounced lip. When you feel the stiffness and quality diff, you will be upset with DJI for failing at this step of design. The originals feel like a toy and sound annoying.
Sound Meter Test: taken from TO point straight up.
Standard. Carbon Fiber
42db. Amb. 44db. Ambient reading at time of testing.
79 T.O. 77 Take off
72. 25 ft. 70
65 50 ft. 65. Airplane was going by
60. 100 ft. 55

The best differences were noted in flight when aircraft was not directly overhead. Quieter and the sound was not so annoying. It actually sounded good compared to the stock. Maneuvering was quieter as well. Max speed was unchanged in the brief flight test.
Have a look at your rpm figure with these c-f prop's. I put carbon-fibre props on my Mavic Pro Platinum and that reduced the rpm in the hover from around 510 to 470 rpm. Slower prop's make less noise! Careful tho' - depending on the brand - you can get some c-f prop's that are prone to shatter if they hit something. You need a prop' that will at least stay together with a tear in it 'till you can get the drone on the ground!

Reactions: Jacamo
Small props spinning faster = higher pitched noise. A trade-off for size unfortunately.

I have flown many DJI drones now though, and none of them are at all quiet. All of them are going to draw attention under any normal circumstances, but the higher pitch of the Air does make it seem a little louder than it is.

Reactions: Jacamo
I have this thing about carbon fiber props from trying them on my phantoms and just don't care for them . They will cut you way faster and shatter . Me think I will stay with OEM props with what I have .Thumbswayup

I have this thing about carbon fiber props from trying them on my phantoms and just don't care for them . They will cut you way faster and shatter . Me think I will stay with OEM props with what I have .Thumbswayup

Every instance of third party props I have ever read about seems less than ideal. Props are not something I would mess with personally. These drones are carefully engineered within the parameters of the OEM props and as you mention if god forbid I ever hit someone with my drone, I'd much rather the props be plastic than CF. Same if you ever run into an obstacle - the plastic props are going to be more forgiving and cheaper to replace. I just don't see the draw to 3rd party props personally, but that is just my opinion.

Certainly not the best video I’ve seen, but it’s a clue.

Update on Bower CF props:
While my flight and sound meter data show wonderful performance improvements while using these props, they are as inadequate as the videos above show. (Thank you Stars)

The video transmission drops out at takeoff most of the time. These props have two screws right above the antenna. Returning to the loud stock props solved this issue.
I will be returning these props today.

Reactions: Starz
Naaaa just throw em in your I got these box and didn't like it like lots of us have.
Had the money I spent on what's in mine I could buy another M2P.
cry baby 2.gif

Reactions: dannybgoode
We all learn as we go. I’m still learning. Tons of available info here and other places. The google is most times a good tool. Thanks

Has anyone made any discoveries lately regarding the noise of the mavic air?

We have discovered that the Mavic Air is louder than some of the other DJI products. Is there a more precise question you’re trying to get an answer to?

Forgive me, I should have asked if there was any discoveries lately in regards to silencing the mavic air? I have searched all over the internet and have not found anything lately besides the anafi prop mod which I have done to mixed results. Just seeing if there were any other methods out there.

Options:
Use ear plugs.
Attach larger motors with bigger props and less rpm.
Sell it.

Me, I don’t have good hearing anyway. And I always liked it when a swarm of bees flew by.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones