DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Non-commercial use for my company

votography

Reactions
Hello all,

I am a corporate photographer for my company (electric utility). I've been using DSLRs and camcorders to capture everything from corporate events, meetings, training materials, especially during natural storms (wind, snow, ice, etc...)

I understand that an FAA license is required for commercial activities (non-recreational). However, we do not sell any of our videos or still footage. They are all for internal use. During a storm restoration operation, flying a drone over various areas to access and capture damaged equipment and power lines is so essential and tin saving.

Here comes the BIG question: Am I still required to obtain the licence if I only operate the drone for internal use? Any leads/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Votography

HAm I still required to obtain the licence if I only operate the drone for internal use?
Yes. You need a license for any activities involved in making a business money.

My future drone clips will not "further a business" or making money. This is 100% for internal use to assess damages so we can send out crews, not thing commercial. Hope this clarifies my initial post.

My future drone clips will not "further a business" or making money. This is 100% for internal use to assess damages so we can send out crews, not thing commercial. Hope this clarifies my initial post.

It does further the business. Does the business make money? If the video being used within the business? It's commercial use. The video does not need to be sold for money to be considered commercial.

You use it in your business. Your business makes money. It's commercial, period.

I think the best way to look at it is that any ‘tool’ you use in the interest of the business becomes part of the business. I would presume it’s tax deductible so silver lining and all that....

OK. I just want to make sure I doing the right thing. It is just a matter of convincing management to pay for my license, or else, they don't get drone clips. Thank you all.
cleardot.gif

Most public utilities are either considering or are actively creating a aerial photography division anyways. When I took the course (here in Canada) for my commercial license, half the class were from either utility or oil/gas companies.

The process in the USA (Part 107) is much easier than it is in Canada (I assume you're in the USA -- you don't say).

At the end of the day here’s the scoop...

1. You are employed as a photographer.
2. You want to use a UAS for work photos (even ‘internal use only’).
3. There is an assumption the employer benefits from UAV photos/videos (better job planning, savings in time and materials, etc.)
4. I take it you’re ‘on the clock’ when you do this, whether you do photography via traditional hand-held/tripod-mounted devices OR a UAV.

On that basis a Part 107 pilot certification and FAA registration of the drone would be required.

Cool part of this is your employer would be paying you to fly [emoji106].

I am not trying to get into a huge argument here. I have all 624 pages of part 107 and I can not find anything in here about commercial or needing it for commercial business. The reason I ask this is due to my Chief asking why I need this particular license to fly a drone for work. I need to come to him with facts so he can approve me taking the class and paying for the license.

The reason I ask this is due to my Chief asking why I need this particular license to fly a drone for work. I need to come to him with facts so he can approve me taking the class and paying for the license.
Send him this link.

I am not trying to get into a huge argument here. I have all 624 pages of part 107 and I can not find anything in here about commercial or needing it for commercial business. The reason I ask this is due to my Chief asking why I need this particular license to fly a drone for work. I need to come to him with facts so he can approve me taking the class and paying for the license.
User Identification Tool

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54