DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noob needs help!

yawyaw33

Reactions
If someone could tell me what settings are most suitable for indoor flying of a M2P I would be so grateful. Thanks.

The Air2 is not really an indoor toy. Your best bet is to set it on Tripod Mode and be very careful as you may not have the stability you expect unless the drone can see some satellites.

Reactions: yawyaw33
Thanks for your reply, as for satellite connections the most I manage indoors is 2 sometimes 3. So is the info to fly in Tripod mode complete or is there any other settings I should use, I will carry out the obvious like using downward vision but If there is one thing other than using Tripod mode that would prevent me from hitting the ceiling what would that one thing be? Thank you again. BTW I noticed you typed Air 2 I should have spelled it out that I have a Mavic 2 Pro.

Tripod is the only usable setting i.m.o.

But another question, why do you want to fly indoors? Is it just "to fly" due to weather conditions outside? I consider flying indoors (at least in a normal house/apartment) as risky and a relative good chance to be forced to contact your insurance. I would not take the risk.

Many folks on this forum have had mishaps while flying indoors. In some cases they have not had a GPS connection and then suddenly acquired a connection by getting close to a window or something and then have the drone shoot suddenly off Into an unplanned direction causing a crash.

I would not recommend flying indoors unless you hack your drone to definitely put It into ATTTI mode but then it will be very tricky to fly in tight spaces due to drift.

I have flown my M2P many times indoor with absolutely no issues. Make sure that the lighting is good and the objects beneath the craft ( e.g. carpet ) have easily discernible patterns for the VPS to work. It holds position like a rock. No special settings needed but you may want to turn off obstacle avoidance or the flyable space will be limited.

Many people have successfully flown indoors, including myself briefly. I just did a search for indoor + crash and got 10 pages of posts so not everyone was as lucky.

Tripod is the only usable setting i.m.o.

But another question, why do you want to fly indoors? Is it just "to fly" due to weather conditions outside? I consider flying indoors (at least in a normal house/apartment) as risky and a relative good chance to be forced to contact your insurance. I would not take the risk.
I am limited physically to what I can & cannot do, as for flying it's more of getting a handle on control of the quad not to necessarily fly forward & backward at any speed but to get to grips with Yaw again slow similar with altitude & descent from the answers I I've received Tripod mode seems to be the mode of choice. I am grateful for your advice thank you very much.

I have flown my M2P many times indoor with absolutely no issues. Make sure that the lighting is good and the objects beneath the craft ( e.g. carpet ) have easily discernible patterns for the VPS to work. It holds position like a rock. No special settings needed but you may want to turn off obstacle avoidance or the flyable space will be limited.
What about the fact I can't connect to enough satellites, other than enabling downward vision are there any other tips you can give me? Otherwise I owe you one thanks very much.

The area has to be as bright as possible, turn on all the lights and open the blinds etc.

The vision sensors which hold the AC in place needs as much light as possible to work well, especially when there is no gps support

What about the fact I can't connect to enough satellites, other than enabling downward vision are there any other tips you can give me? Otherwise I owe you one thanks very much.
Personally, I do not have your drone, but I think that the goal of flying indoors is to NOT CONNECT to satellites. Am I not correct, group? ATTI (attitude) Mode is you looking at it only. IF YOU CONNECT to satellites, and the drone senses trouble, the return to home (at what altitude did you select?) may enable, and result in a crash. My thought is wait for a calm day and go outside with no obstructions. I have only 30 flights or so under my belt, but I would not try this yet myself. Someone here, correct me if I am wrong.

If you want to fly indoors, my advice is to fly something that's built for it like an EMAX Tiny Hawk II or a Team Black Sheep Tiny Whoop Nano. Either of these is better than a 'cheap toy drone' and you can develop your skills indoors.

They are fly-weight drones with ducted props that weigh a couple ounces, are practically indestructible, and won't slice up your nose or ears, or wreck your furnishings.

Reactions: yawyaw33 and KurtpH
If you want to fly indoors, my advice is to fly something that's built for it like an EMAX Tiny Hawk II or a Team Black Sheep Tiny Whoop Nano. Either of these is better than a 'cheap toy drone' and you can develop your skills indoors.

They are fly-weight drones with ducted props that weigh a couple ounces, are practically indestructible, and won't slice up your nose or ears, or wreck your furnishings.
For sure, get prop guards, and a guard for the gimbal. I have good fun flying my M2P in playgrounds: under slides, through kids tunnels, Between the swings, etc. Have to turn off all sensors, block the top sensor, and fly in tripod mode. But it’s a blast. Good flying practice too, IMHO. Also Makes for some pretty neat video.

On The other hand, using a nearly $2000 piece of equipment for this kind of fun is probably not indicative of great judgment. :)

Personally, I do not have your drone, but I think that the goal of flying indoors is to NOT CONNECT to satellites. Am I not correct, group? ATTI (attitude) Mode is you looking at it only. IF YOU CONNECT to satellites, and the drone senses trouble, the return to home (at what altitude did you select?) may enable, and result in a crash. My thought is wait for a calm day and go outside with no obstructions. I have only 30 flights or so under my belt, but I would not try this yet myself. Someone here, correct me if I am wrong.
Thank you.

For sure, get prop guards, and a guard for the gimbal. I have good fun flying my M2P in playgrounds: under slides, through kids tunnels, Between the swings, etc. Have to turn off all sensors, block the top sensor, and fly in tripod mode. But it’s a blast. Good flying practice too, IMHO. Also Makes for some pretty neat video.

On The other hand, using a nearly $2000 piece of equipment for this kind of fun is probably not indicative of great judgment. :)
Thanks for the input.

Thanks for your reply, as for satellite connections the most I manage indoors is 2 sometimes 3. So is the info to fly in Tripod mode complete or is there any other settings I should use, I will carry out the obvious like using downward vision but If there is one thing other than using Tripod mode that would prevent me from hitting the ceiling what would that one thing be? Thank you again. BTW I noticed you typed Air 2 I should have spelled it out that I have a Mavic 2 Pro.
Sorry my mistake, same would hold true for a Mavic 2 Pro. Use extreme caution as you will not have the inflight stability provided by the satellites. You alone will keep the drone off the ceiling as the certainly are no sensors facing up. Tripod mode will provide for very slow easier to control movement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13