DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Northeast Ohio - New Mavic Air Pilot

Ace79

Reactions
Hey everybody,

Pleasure to meet everyone and I am glad I found this site! I am a newbie to drones in general, only flying cheap toy type ones in the past, but yesterday I bit the bullet and bought a Mavic Air. I am trying to do all of the research and learning I can before I actually fly this bad boy, including just using the flight simulator built into the controller.

I am hoping to finally take it out in a few days, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of great wide open places to go near the Cleveland area. I live in Brook Park specifically (in a yellow authorization zone because of Hopkins airport), so flying near my house won't work.

Thank you in advance!

Hey everybody,

Pleasure to meet everyone and I am glad I found this site! I am a newbie to drones in general, only flying cheap toy type ones in the past, but yesterday I bit the bullet and bought a Mavic Air. I am trying to do all of the research and learning I can before I actually fly this bad boy, including just using the flight simulator built into the controller.

I am hoping to finally take it out in a few days, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of great wide open places to go near the Cleveland area. I live in Brook Park specifically (in a yellow authorization zone because of Hopkins airport), so flying near my house won't work.

Thank you in advance!
Howdy from Wyoming @Ace79 , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Reactions: Ace79
New guy from Westlake OH here. I'm well within Hopkins Yellow too, so I'm looking for places to fly too. Lets stay in touch.

The metroparks have a few places designated for flying. They're markedly non-exciting areas, but it's a start.
Drone Policy

I'm Tony, We might have to fly sometime. Mines arriving fed-ex sometime this week.

New guy from Westlake OH here. I'm well within Hopkins Yellow too, so I'm looking for places to fly too. Lets stay in touch.

The metroparks have a few places designated for flying. They're markedly non-exciting areas, but it's a start.
Drone Policy

I'm Tony, We might have to fly sometime. Mines arriving fed-ex sometime this week.

Hey Tony, it's funny you mention that. I literally just got back about 15 minutes ago from one of the designated areas in the Metroparks. I went out the the Top O Ledges in the Hinckley reservation. It was my first time getting out with the Air, but it was a great spot. Super wide open with plenty of room to get a hang of the controls.

Thanks,
Jon

Also, I am actually uploading some of my footage from there to YouTube right now, I'll send you the link so you can see what it's like.

Jon (Ace79)

Hey Tony, it's funny you mention that. I literally just got back about 15 minutes ago from one of the designated areas in the Metroparks. I went out the the Top O Ledges in the Hinckley reservation. It was my first time getting out with the Air, but it was a great spot. Super wide open with plenty of room to get a hang of the controls.

Thanks,
Jon

It's just disappointing that they only let you fly in wide open fields away from anything worth looking at. That being said I was planning to take a drive to the ledges soon myself. I look forward to seeing the video.

It's just disappointing that they only let you fly in wide open fields away from anything worth looking at. That being said I was planning to take a drive to the ledges soon myself. I look forward to seeing the video.

I agree. Once I get the hang of this, I may sneak over and fly over Hinckley Lake one day. We'll see if I ever work up the nerve.

Reactions: Flying Penguin
I agree. Once I get the hang of this, I may sneak over and fly over Hinckley Lake one day. We'll see if I ever work up the nerve.

I used to work at the park years ago(Mill Stream Run, and not as a ranger) and honestly it's a tossup if a ranger catches you. Most of them are pretty relaxed, and would leave you alone, or tell you to pack up and go home. A small minority of them take things very seriously.

New pilot here. Thanks for the Metroparks link. I will definitely try out Hinckley soon.
Welcome! I'm always trying to find new spots too, so if you find anymore let me know!

Another cool place I found (but it's a bit of a drive), was out west in Vermillion. Completely out of ATC controlled air space.

Reactions: Faustus
Welcome! I'm always trying to find new spots too, so if you find anymore let me know!

Another cool place I found (but it's a bit of a drive), was out west in Vermillion. Completely out of ATC controlled air space.

That used to be in my neck of the woods a few weeks back. I lived in Bay Village so it was close.
I am doing the married thing so I just moved to Twinsburg and am still getting used to the area.

When I had my Phantom 3 there used to be a meetup group for drones that I joined. I couldn't make it to 2 meetups because of other obligations. I don't know if it exists anymore but I received an email a while back looking for someone new to admin the group. It might be a good idea to start it up again.

One of the places they had a meetup at was in Garfield Heights right off Transportation Blvd. They met in the Walmart parking lot and flew by the Valley View Bridge over the valley. They would eat at Applebee's after. Might be an option someday.

Glad I found this forum today. I will be sure to keep you up to date on my findings of new territory. Please do the same for me.

I'm in Brook Park (near Cleveland Hopkins Airport). I'd be cool with meet-ups some time, but I'm married and have 4 younger kids, so I am probably not able to commit to anything.

But anyways, if I find anywhere new, I'll be sure to let you guys know, and I'd appreciate it if you did the same. If you are ever heading out somewhere, add a post and maybe I'll head up.

Unfortunately, I am grounded at the moment because my controller was acting up, so I had to send it in to DJI for repair.

I'm from the east side of Cleveland and go to the Metroparks Polo fields to fly quite a bit. Many times I have run into other pilots with their drones there. There is a creek that runs along the park and it can make the flying a little bit more interesting. It is listed as a place you can fly in the metroparks. You can also fly at any of the metroparks golf courses after November 1st with the exception of one. Looking forward of taking advantage of that.

I'm from the east side of Cleveland and go to the Metroparks Polo fields to fly quite a bit. Many times I have run into other pilots with their drones there. There is a creek that runs along the park and it can make the flying a little bit more interesting. It is listed as a place you can fly in the metroparks. You can also fly at any of the metroparks golf courses after November 1st with the exception of one. Looking forward of taking advantage of that.
Thanks Jon!

I'm in Lakewood and Lakewood Park is also drone friendly and right on the lake. Get in touch to fly sometime, anyone. I'm married with two younger ones also so time is limited due to that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000