DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not a smooth video while turning.

Hope to test soon. Weather has been unbelievably bad, plus I have spent the last month in home Reno projects. Did take it up for a couple minutes, (in my backyard in contradiction to Canada's new "laws"), 15 feet lol. Ran a bit of vid..looks good. Better weather coming up...more chance to play. Will update. Hope yours is good.

I think mine Is Ok.

Definately better than my last one.

I reviewed some video from yesterday and it looked fine.

I don't think the Mavic has a strong camera and a lot of the back ground looks out of focus especially on pine trees.

Now I just need to figure out the best camera settings

Hope to test soon. Weather has been unbelievably bad, plus I have spent the last month in home Reno projects. Did take it up for a couple minutes, (in my backyard in contradiction to Canada's new "laws"), 15 feet lol. Ran a bit of vid..looks good. Better weather coming up...more chance to play. Will update. Hope yours is good.

UPDATE

Hi again fellow Mavic Users. Received a new mavic today from DJI North America Support, after being told by them that they repaired the original one to send back.
All done took 1 month.

Will do testing soon and update the thread.

Cheers

Reactions: peros550 and razors
I think mine Is Ok.

Definately better than my last one.

I reviewed some video from yesterday and it looked fine.

I don't think the Mavic has a strong camera and a lot of the back ground looks out of focus especially on pine trees.

Now I just need to figure out the best camera settings
Good to hear. I agree, the camera has limitations and I have noticed some blurry trees in a number of other people's vids. Will be playing with the focus, also use Litchi to see how their infinity focus does. Finding places to fly is my first challenge for now.

Reactions: razors
I've send today my mavic for a DOA return. I'll see what comes back...

Try adjusting the gimbal options to as slow as possible.
Set the EXP settings to 20 for each of them.
Set pitch and roll down to about 3.
You will find that your panning and tilting is perfect for cinematography.
Pitch and roll only go down to 80. How did you set that value to 3 ?

I don't have Final Cut Pro but every video editor (Filmora and AviMov as well as YouTube) makes "Stabilize?" worse .. much worse. I don't believe that a video editor can take out stuttering or it would be very popular. I could be wrong but when I see a "before" and "after" comparison and it looks better ... I'll buy it.

I tried FCP stutter and stabilise filters, they reduced the stutter but stabilised section of video was not as sharp as the original. 4K 25fps

still have no idea what I am supposed to be looking for, I'm staring at the lines of the door in the shed? on the left hand side and they seem straight in both videos. The only thing I'm noticing is there's like some clear wave thing that goes across the screen kind of like on the old tvs / vcr days. Maybe my screen is ****, or I've just been staring at these videos for way too long :(

HAHA Don't worry yer not alone!!

Just an update. My 2nd Mavic is perfect. There is no jerky/stuttering video regardless of what settings I use. As it should be. Totally happy with it.

Will get some on YouTube, albeit it will not be very good as I am not a youtuber.

This is with the least tweaking, done in 4k 3840 Cine with camera on Auto and ND16 filter, and winds gusting to 25k.

Is it possible that you enabled YouTube stabilization? I saw some awkward movements in the beginning that seemed to be like YouTube tried to stabilize the scene.

I don't see any Youtube staabilizatoin ... that would have ruined it. Every video I have run through YouTube's Stabilization have been unwatchable. Great video ... I love that country in that time of year. Reminds me of elk hunting, although that runs in the Fall. A couple of points ... In the video I see propellors left side which I have never seen ... it may be a strong crosswind at those few seconds. Second I see some out of focus spots, especially on the darker brush areas on the left when taking off. Also look under the "A" near the structure on the hill .. a large one there. This may be the noise sensor causing that .. try setting the Style to +1 -1 -0 and see if that helps. +1 Sharpening being the one to affect the noise sensor. I ran about the 1st ten seconds of your video through Davinci Resolve and zoomed in on the opening to magnify the out of focus spots. I used my preference in color to make them more visible and then switched back to your original.

Is it possible that you enabled YouTube stabilization? I saw some awkward movements in the beginning that seemed to be like YouTube tried to stabilize the scene.
Just strong gusting winds up to 25-30K..got lots of warnings but Mavic does well.

I don't see any Youtube staabilizatoin ... that would have ruined it. Every video I have run through YouTube's Stabilization have been unwatchable. Great video ... I love that country in that time of year. Reminds me of elk hunting, although that runs in the Fall. A couple of points ... In the video I see propellors left side which I have never seen ... it may be a strong crosswind at those few seconds. Second I see some out of focus spots, especially on the darker brush areas on the left when taking off. Also look under the "A" near the structure on the hill .. a large one there. This may be the noise sensor causing that .. try setting the Style to +1 -1 -0 and see if that helps. +1 Sharpening being the one to affect the noise sensor. I ran about the 1st ten seconds of your video through Davinci Resolve and zoomed in on the opening to magnify the out of focus spots. I used my preference in color to make them more visible and then switched back to your original.

Thanks, Grizzard. I live in beautiful country and still lots of flying areas as long as ranchers/farmers don't mind. :)
I posted this mainly to show the difference between that first Mavic that had 'stuttering' video regardless of settings. This video is pretty much out of the box which IMO produces decent video. All the movements fast and slow, the fence, near and far were to test the stuttering effect. Also, this is the Tube...the original is much better but I will check those areas you mention. HaHa, with my old eyes it looks pretty good overall. The props do show...strong gusty winds I guess will do that..did get several wind warnings but am impressed with how Mavic handles it. Am still checking re out of focus lower left corner, but it doesn't show up all the time. Am wondering if lighting has some effect on shadow areas not being as clear? It seems to show up on evergreen trees, mostly pines. Bottom line I am happy with this Mavic and will continue to play with 'tweaking' the settings. No doubt the first Mav was defective and have seen a number of vids online that have that same issue. Appreciate everyone's input and help on this forum.

Reactions: peros550
Thanks, Grizzard. I live in beautiful country and still lots of flying areas as long as ranchers/farmers don't mind. :)
I posted this mainly to show the difference between that first Mavic that had 'stuttering' video regardless of settings. This video is pretty much out of the box which IMO produces decent video. All the movements fast and slow, the fence, near and far were to test the stuttering effect. Also, this is the Tube...the original is much better but I will check those areas you mention. HaHa, with my old eyes it looks pretty good overall. The props do show...strong gusty winds I guess will do that..did get several wind warnings but am impressed with how Mavic handles it. Am still checking re out of focus lower left corner, but it doesn't show up all the time. Am wondering if lighting has some effect on shadow areas not being as clear? It seems to show up on evergreen trees, mostly pines. Bottom line I am happy with this Mavic and will continue to play with 'tweaking' the settings. No doubt the first Mav was defective and have seen a number of vids online that have that same issue. Appreciate everyone's input and help on this forum.
It is indeed beautiful country and the Mavic without a doubt does a fantastic job. Lighting is really important but the noise sensor can mess up stuff like leaves and grass giving it that watercolor look. You can see it pretty clearly in the video I just posted in my answer above. I am think that just making that small adjustment in the Sharpening (+1) might help out. This guy explains it in this YouTube below. Keep up the aerial photos ... great shots ..

Reactions: Johanna

I take it you mean the clump of trees behind the row. These are better on the original but still not focussed clearly. I am seeing that in my other shots as well, but if I record from a different angle or lighting it appears better. Maybe just the nature of the beast with the Mav camera. Here is screen shot of the original.Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 7.56.46 PM.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580