DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not updating firmware.....

Ifti

Reactions
Currently on the .0400 firmware.
Everything seems to be working fine, so not bothered to upgrade to .0500.

Can I continue to run .0400 for as long as I want, or will I get out to the field one day to notice the Mavic will no longer take off because its forcing me to update the firmware??

Thanks

You can run .04 as long as you want.
Dont let your app update.

Reactions: Ifti
Still ignoring update on mine.....wish there's option in SW where to turn off update notification.

Reactions: Ifti
You can run .04 as long as you want.
Dont let your app update.

Why not? I use an iphone: on the MP i am running .0400 and the app is updated to 4.0.6 with no apparent issues. What's the problem upating the app?

Why not? I use an iphone: on the MP i am running .0400 and the app is updated to 4.0.6 with no apparent issues. What's the problem upating the app?
I'm sure it's fine now but going back a few years there's a history of firmware or app updates forcing the other to update for compatibility.

If you don't put a halt to automatic updating, you may some day find that your living room is within 5 miles of an air-hockey tournament that somehow became an NFZ. I'm kidding, but there are examples of NFZ's and GEO zones that are just about that ridiculous.

DJI hasn't made GEO mandatory "yet", but it's clear that's temporary.

Reactions: ryo
I'm sure it's fine now but going back a few years there's a history of firmware or app updates forcing the other to update for compatibility.

If you don't put a halt to automatic updating, you may some day find that your living room is within 5 miles of an air-hockey tournament that somehow became an NFZ. I'm kidding, but there are examples of NFZ's and GEO zones that are just about that ridiculous.

DJI hasn't made GEO mandatory "yet", but it's clear that's temporary.
LOL

I like having the ability to downgrade the firmware version.

Comments on blog show that not everyone that has upgraded to the latest firmware has problems like mine:
Compass Error, app disconnect from drone, app crashes, totally garbled video transmission to app, GPS gone while RC shows 16 satellites, flight log does not show warnings, video asctually recorded OK to SD card but flight log shows no video.

The Litchi site says DJI has admitted to a bug in their latest firmware that also affects the performance of the Litchi app. But now I continue to have problems even though I have gone back to 03.0400. So either the firmware change was not complete, or there are more problems than just firmware.

The fact that other people have no problems can be for one or more of several reasons.

1. I ordered my Mavic the first day pre-ordering started. It is reasonable to assume my electronics is not the same as units delivered since December. So there could be an electronics change that requires a recall and new electronics for compatibility with newer software before my problem will ever be resolved.

2. The software/firmware has to be very complex, working for very different products from one app. Could there be function calls in a particular order that set off a chain of events that cascades to an unstable condition – maybe creating random timing problems in communication between components. They need to develop an app for each drone model.

3. The mobile device used as the monitor could have some form of incompatibility, but a USB connection simply transferring data has well established protocols and as long as the device has recent Android system, enough memory and processor speed that is unlikely. On the other hand DJI has a very short list of tested compatible devices, and my Samsung Galaxy Tab S is not on it. Neither is my LG phone. I have seen my RC showing 16 strong satellites while the app tells me GPS was lost on the monitor? Is the AC lying to the RC or is the RC lying to the app?

4. Maybe the firmware installations are not performing correctly. When I went back to 03.0400 the download went to 100% and the data transfer to the RC and AC started but never went beyond 99% for 45 minutes. The RC went from UPGRADING to READY TO GO, but the app never showed complete. The firmware window shows the current firmware version only when connected to the internet. With no connection the app shows a Phantom 4, not a Mavic. So is the app reading what is loaded in my devices or what has been sent from DJI most recently?

The information supplied by DJI on the operation of this very complex Unmanned Aerial System is minimal and not very well presented. I just learned about the firmware window you can bring up by pressing for several seconds on the three lines at the top right of the GO4 app yesterday – by reading about it on the Mavic Pilots Blog!

The bottom line is that my Mavic Pro has been unusable for commercial work for two months now. I would never subject myself to possible humiliation in front of a paying client with a piece of equipment that malfunctions every time I use it. I am losing opportunity and money every day this continues.

I think DJI is not going to do anything about this as long as they can keep selling these things as fast as they can make them, leaving us initial buyers in the dust. Anybody know a lawyer willing to help the hundreds or thousands of us in this situation?

Comments on blog show that not everyone that has upgraded to the latest firmware has problems like mine:
Compass Error, app disconnect from drone, app crashes, totally garbled video transmission to app, GPS gone while RC shows 16 satellites, flight log does not show warnings, video asctually recorded OK to SD card but flight log shows no video.

The Litchi site says DJI has admitted to a bug in their latest firmware that also affects the performance of the Litchi app. But now I continue to have problems even though I have gone back to 03.0400. So either the firmware change was not complete, or there are more problems than just firmware.

The fact that other people have no problems can be for one or more of several reasons.

1. I ordered my Mavic the first day pre-ordering started. It is reasonable to assume my electronics is not the same as units delivered since December. So there could be an electronics change that requires a recall and new electronics for compatibility with newer software before my problem will ever be resolved.

2. The software/firmware has to be very complex, working for very different products from one app. Could there be function calls in a particular order that set off a chain of events that cascades to an unstable condition – maybe creating random timing problems in communication between components. They need to develop an app for each drone model.

3. The mobile device used as the monitor could have some form of incompatibility, but a USB connection simply transferring data has well established protocols and as long as the device has recent Android system, enough memory and processor speed that is unlikely. On the other hand DJI has a very short list of tested compatible devices, and my Samsung Galaxy Tab S is not on it. Neither is my LG phone. I have seen my RC showing 16 strong satellites while the app tells me GPS was lost on the monitor? Is the AC lying to the RC or is the RC lying to the app?

4. Maybe the firmware installations are not performing correctly. When I went back to 03.0400 the download went to 100% and the data transfer to the RC and AC started but never went beyond 99% for 45 minutes. The RC went from UPGRADING to READY TO GO, but the app never showed complete. The firmware window shows the current firmware version only when connected to the internet. With no connection the app shows a Phantom 4, not a Mavic. So is the app reading what is loaded in my devices or what has been sent from DJI most recently?

The information supplied by DJI on the operation of this very complex Unmanned Aerial System is minimal and not very well presented. I just learned about the firmware window you can bring up by pressing for several seconds on the three lines at the top right of the GO4 app yesterday – by reading about it on the Mavic Pilots Blog!

The bottom line is that my Mavic Pro has been unusable for commercial work for two months now. I would never subject myself to possible humiliation in front of a paying client with a piece of equipment that malfunctions every time I use it. I am losing opportunity and money every day this continues.

I think DJI is not going to do anything about this as long as they can keep selling these things as fast as they can make them, leaving us initial buyers in the dust. Anybody know a lawyer willing to help the hundreds or thousands of us in this situation?

Sorry, i was referring about updating the app. I updated the fw when i received the MP to .0500 but immediatelly rolled back to .0400 and still there since. App updated always though.

UPDATE! I borrowed an Iphone 6 today and used it with my controller instead of my Samsung Galaxy, and had no transmission/communication problems at all. Only a radio interference warning for some reason before I took off and it went away within seconds. Also it said calibrate compass on start-up and that failed twice due to magnetic interference. Moved further from the RC and it calibrated.Using 4.07 app and the .400 firmware. During 15 minute flight up to 85 meters and a couple RTH and a POI there was no GPS lost, no bad video transmission, no compass errors no disconnect, no app crash. So it looks like all my problems were due to the Android tablet and not the Mavic UAS!!

sorry I don't get this idea of being on an old firmware.. just to look "different" lol! if new firmware would block something or make mp unusable then alright.. but is not the case so ;)
anyway we are all free to do whatever we wish so.. enjoy it :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky